FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   Discount International Award Tickets (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/940533-discount-international-award-tickets.html)

CarolDisney1 Apr 6, 2009 12:52 pm

Discount International Award Tickets

Mods. I can't believe I am the first to post this so feel free to delete if it's a dup. I did look!

delta.com/awarddiscount

25% off of some business class awards
10% off of some coach awareds

Book by 4/20. Flights through 4/20 and 6/15

Select Discounted Markets

Region US Gateway International Gateway
Africa/Middle East Atlanta (ATL) Kuwait (KWI)

Asia
Atlanta (ATL)
Tokyo, Japan (NRT)

Detroit (DTW) Tokyo, Japan (NRT)

Detroit (DTW) Hong Kong (HKG)

Detroit (DTW) Pusan, South Korea (PUS)

Detroit (DTW) Hong Kong (HKG)

Minneapolis (MSP) Singapore (SIN)

Minneapolis (MSP) Beijing, China (PEK)

Portland (PDX) Tokyo, Japan (NRT)
San Francisco (SFO) Tokyo, Japan (NRT)
San Francisco (SFO) Beijing, China (PEK)
San Francisco (SFO) Hong Kong (HKG)
San Francisco (SFO) Singapore (SIN)

Caribbean

Atlanta (ATL) Kingston, Jamaica (KIN)
Atlanta (ATL) Providenciales, Caicos Is. (PLS)
Boston (BOS) Bermuda (BDA)
New York (LaGuardia) (LGA) Bermuda (BDA)
Central/South America Atlanta (ATL) Guayaquil, Ecuador (GYE)
Atlanta (ATL) Manaus, Brazil (MAO)
Atlanta (ATL) Managua, Nicaragua (MGA)
Atlanta (ATL) Tegucigalpa, Honduras (TGU)
Atlanta (ATL) Quito, Ecuador (UIO)
New York (Kennedy) (JFK) Sao Paulo, Brazil (GRU)
New York (Kennedy) (JFK) Bogota, Colombia (BOG)
New York (Kennedy) (JFK) Sao Paulo, Brazil (GRU)

Europe
Atlanta (ATL) Amsterdam, Netherlands (AMS)

Atlanta (ATL) Barcelona, Spain (BCN)
Atlanta (ATL) Brussels, Belgium (BRU)
Atlanta (ATL) Copenhagen, Denmark (CPH)
Atlanta (ATL) London (Gatwick), UK (LGW)
Atlanta (ATL) Madrid, Spain (MAD)
Atlanta (ATL) Milan, Italy (MXP)
Atlanta (ATL) Prague, Czech Republic (PRG)
Atlanta (ATL) Stockholm, Sweden (ARN)
Atlanta (ATL) Zurich, Switzerland (ZRH)
Cincinnati (CVG) Amsterdam, Netherlands (AMS)
Cincinnati (CVG) Frankfurt, Germany (FRA)
Cincinnati (CVG) London (Gatwick), UK (LGW)
Detroit (DTW) Frankfurt, Germany (FRA)
Detroit (DTW) London, UK (LHR)
Newark (EWR) Amsterdam, Netherlands (AMS)
New York (Kennedy) (JFK) London, UK (LHR)
New York (Kennedy) (JFK) Brussels, Belgium (BRU)
New York (Kennedy) (JFK) Edinburgh, UK (EDI)
New York (Kennedy) (JFK) Milan, Italy (MXP)
New York (Kennedy) (JFK) Pisa, Italy (PSA)
New York (Kennedy) (JFK) Valencia, Spain (VLC)
New York (Kennedy) (JFK) Zurich, Switzerland (ZRH)
Pittsburgh (PIT) Paris, France (CDG)
Portland (PDX) Amsterdam, Netherlands (AMS)

I just rebooked a Madrid ticket. Saved 50,000 miles yesterday when I put ticket on "hold" Today it's 75K roundtrip in Business Class!

AndyTLe Apr 6, 2009 12:54 pm

Requested Page Not Found

CarolDisney1 Apr 6, 2009 1:00 pm

Typo on my part.

Should be delta.com/awarddiscount

will fix original post

Thanks!

Also travel has to be complete by 6/15.

soitgoes Apr 6, 2009 1:20 pm

WOW--

10% Economy discount and 25% BusinessElite discount valid on all Delta-operated and Northwest-operated flights originating within the 48 contiguous United States, Alaska, and Canada, with an international destination (other than Canada) and flights of international origin (other than Canada) with a destination within the 48 contiguous United States, Alaska and Canada.
The 20% economy discount is valid only for select routes (see first post).

Full T&C in case later modified or removed from delta.com:
Code:

Terms & Conditions

Restrictions:
Award levels shown available at delta.com and nwa.com. Tickets cost $20 more if purchased from Delta over the phone, $35 more at a Delta ticket counter or ticket office, and these amounts are nonrefundable. Tickets are nontransferable. Seats are limited.
Applicable Routes:
Discounts apply on international routes. 10% Economy discount and 25% BusinessElite discount valid on all Delta-operated and Northwest-operated flights originating within the 48 contiguous United States, Alaska, and Canada, with an international destination (other than Canada) and flights of international origin (other than Canada) with a destination within the 48 contiguous United States, Alaska and Canada. 20% Economy discount applies only to the following routes: on Delta-operated flights from/to ATL to/from AMS, ARN, BCN, BRU, CPH, GYE, KIN, KWI, LGW, MAD, MAO, MGA, MXP, NRT, PLS, PRG, TGU, UIO, ZRH; from/to CVG to/from AMS, FRA, LGW; from/to JFK to/from BOG, BRU, EDI, GRU, LHR, MXP, PSA, VLC, ZRH; from/to BDA to/from BOS, LGA; and from/to PIT to/from CDG and on NW/KLM operated flight from/to PDX to/from NRT, PEK, HKG, SIN; from/to SFO to/from NRT, PEK, HKG, SIN; from/to DTW to/from NRT, HKG, PUS, FRA, LHR; and from/to MSP to/from SIN, PEK.
Tickets:
Award Tickets must be booked at least 14 days prior to departure, but no later than April 20, 2009.
Travel Period:
Travel must be completed by June 15, 2009.
Award Availability:
Seats for the discounted Award levels are limited and may not be available on all flights. Award levels are valid on Delta/Northwest/Delta Connection® carrier flights only.
Minimum Stay:
Saturday night
Maximum Stay:
June 15, 2009
Taxes/Fees:
Award Travel tickets do not include $3.60 Federal Excise Tax, Passenger Facility Charge(s) of up to $4.50, or the September 11th Security Fee of up to $2.50 for each flight segment. Award Travel tickets to/from Alaska do not include U.S. International Air Transportation Tax of up to $16.00 round-trip. Award Travel tickets for international travel, including for travel to/from PR/U.S. Virgin Islands, do not include U.S. International Air Transportation Tax of up to $32.20 and U.S. and foreign user, inspection, security or other similarly based charges, fees or taxes of up to $299, depending on itinerary. Taxes and fees for Award Travel are the responsibility of the passenger and must be paid at the time the ticket is booked. In some instances, the government may elect to collect the fees directly from the passenger. Additional fees apply for some SkyMiles transactions.
Cancellations/Refunds/Changes:
Award Tickets are nonrefundable except in accordance with Delta's cancellation policy. Fees may apply for downgrades/reissues and itinerary changes. Contact a Delta agent or see Ticket Changes for details.
Baggage Charges:
For travel within the United States/PR/U.S. Virgin Islands, $15 for 1 checked bag and $25 for second checked bag. Allowances subject to size/weight limits. Contact a Delta agent or see Excess Baggage for details.
Miscellaneous:
Fares, taxes, fees, rules, and offers are subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.

GUWonder Apr 6, 2009 1:24 pm

For those who primarily redeem miles for coach travel, this discount still leaves DL-issued award tickets as usually being more expensive in miles and money than competitors like AA, CO, US and UA.

For business class redemptions, this may have somewhat more utility.

A 10% discount on coach awards is a joke when DL is often charging 33+% more in miles (and maybe even more in money) than the competitors for some of the same O&D award travel during the same period.

soitgoes Apr 6, 2009 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 11537060)
For business class redemptions, this may have somewhat more utility.

Yeah--if you can find award seats, the 25% business class discount for May/June travel is nice (unfortunately, I usually find it easier to find seats on partners than on DL). The 10% coach discount is eh.

CarolDisney1 Apr 6, 2009 3:34 pm

For all the whining... Has anyone tried? I did for both MAD and LGW and found several options etc....

And GUWonder... is there a REASON you are here? We get it! You hate Delta. So why are you still here? Do you REALLY think you will convince us all to join you? :confused:

jpdx Apr 6, 2009 3:35 pm

Wow, excellent news! And I thought there was another award pricing error when my US-Asia tickets started coming up at 90k. Hopefully, NWA will start offering a similar discount!

GUWonder Apr 6, 2009 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by CarolDisney1 (Post 11537841)
For all the whining... Has anyone tried? I did for both MAD and LGW and found several options etc....

And GUWonder... is there a REASON you are here? We get it! You hate Delta. So why are you still here? Do you REALLY think you will convince us all to join you? :confused:

Try to stop worrying about me or getting it wrong about me -- I don't hate DL. I am a DL Platinum longer than most people here -- that's why I am still around. DL's award pricing is as I said and that's what this thread is about.

jpdx Apr 6, 2009 11:14 pm

NW matched: nwa.com/awarddiscount ^^

JHattery Apr 6, 2009 11:36 pm

For Asia, you're still better off cashing in DL miles to fly on SQ. Only problem is limit of 1 award seat alloted to DL in 1st/Biz. Pretty unlimited in coach though.

soitgoes Apr 6, 2009 11:38 pm

It's nice that you can get this on nwa.com, and it's great the KLM flights are included. However, for once the delta.com site beats out NW: on nwa.com you have to use an e-cert code and that means that you can't even select business vs. coach directly, have no calendar functionality, and can only choose complete trips.

GUWonder Apr 7, 2009 6:13 am

There is no explicit mention in the OP of the 20% discount.

There is a 10% discount for most international award tickets in coach; there is a 20% discount for some international award tickets in coach, and a 25% discount for most international award tickets in business class.

The 20% economy discount applies only to itineraries including the following flights:

.... Delta-operated flights from/to ATL to/from AMS, ARN, BCN, BRU, CPH, GYE, KIN, KWI, LGW, MAD, MAO, MGA, MXP, NRT, PLS, PRG, TGU, UIO, ZRH; from/to CVG to/from AMS, FRA, LGW; from/to JFK to/from BOG, BRU, EDI, GRU, LHR, MXP, PSA, VLC, ZRH; from/to BDA to/from BOS, LGA; and from/to PIT to/from CDG and on NW/KLM operated flight from/to PDX to/from NRT, PEK, HKG, SIN; from/to SFO to/from NRT, PEK, HKG, SIN; from/to DTW to/from NRT, HKG, PUS, FRA, LHR; and from/to MSP to/from SIN, PEK.
That 20% discount on select international itineraries brings economy class award pricing down from a standard 60k miles for US-Europe-US award itinerary to 48k miles if "low" inventory is available.

For the majority of the DL promotional period, this discount makes DL-issued awards in coach slightly cheaper in miles than what UA, US and CO normally charge but still more expensive than what AA normally charges in miles.

skchin Apr 7, 2009 6:39 am

GUWonder doesn't hate Delta. DL is like his first girlfriend, with lots of good memories. But he is into his 3rd marriage with CO or AA? :D

GUWonder Apr 7, 2009 6:56 am

Originally Posted by skchin (Post 11540998)
GUWonder doesn't hate Delta. DL is like his first girlfriend, with lots of good memories. But he is into his 3rd marriage with CO or AA? :D

Why get married, when the fun can be had without it? :D

I like the discount but that's no reason to get married just because there is a temporary lowering of the cost of a relationship -- more so when there's a history of pre-nups being violated even before any wedding. Still, no reason not to take advantage of the opportunity or mention how there is a 20% discount to be used.