Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Air France advance seating on Delta ticket - NO way!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2008, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

I have 4 different Delta-bookings(Y-class), all for the LHR-LAX AF-operated route. And I have learned, that advance seat requests made by Delta NEVER "gets through" to Air France´s IT-system. The seat requests DO show up in Delta´s system, but they never show up in the Air France end of the chain, and therefore theese seat requests are NEVER honored by Air France.

It wont help you to call Air France either. AF will be able to request seats, and the request will be visible in the booking. But it will stay unconfirmed, meaning that anyone else can request the same seats, right up until checkin. It´s extremely unlikely, that you will actually end up in the requested seat.

And what does this then mean for a passenger travelling on a Delta ticket, on a flight operated by Air France? Well, it means that seats are not assigned until the passenger shows up at the airport, at which time 90 pct. of all seats have already been assigned (by passengers on Air France bookings - they can get their seats preassigned and confirmed without any problems), leaving only the very worst seats for the poor Delta-ticketed travellers. If you are a family travelling together, you can expect to be split up all over the cabin. In reality this means, that on Air France flights, Delta-ticketed travellers are treated as second-class passengers.

I know that this problem has existed for years and I simply dont understand WHY Delta allows this practice to continue?? Why is nothing done to change the situation?? Why is it, that in 2008, when we can send people to the Moon and Mars, we cannot pre-assign seats for an Air France operated Delta-flight??

Pizzaman
Old Aug 7, 2008, 1:22 pm

Did you try AF's website? You can retrieve your reservation with your Delta ticket number and last name and assign the seats on their website I believe.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by pizzaman123
I have 4 different Delta-bookings(Y-class), all for the LHR-LAX AF-operated route. And I have learned, that advance seat requests made by Delta NEVER "gets through" to Air France´s IT-system. The seat requests DO show up in Delta´s system, but they never show up in the Air France end of the chain, and therefore theese seat requests are NEVER honored by Air France.

It wont help you to call Air France either. AF will be able to request seats, and the request will be visible in the booking. But it will stay unconfirmed, meaning that anyone else can request the same seats, right up until checkin. It´s extremely unlikely, that you will actually end up in the requested seat.
I am sorry for your angst, but you are completely incorrect.

I also booked the LHR-LAX flight. I called AF, asked for my booking number in the AF system. I then went on AF's website, looked up the reservation, and selected my seats. After that, I signed out, re-signed in and the seat says "confirmed". I also then signed onto the reservation via checkmytrip.com and it showed my seat as being selected and confirmed.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=782108
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=845341
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=772397
Old Aug 7, 2008, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL DM; UA; AA
The seat requests DO show up in Delta´s system, but they never show up in the Air France end of the chain, and therefore theese seat requests are NEVER honored by Air France.
Not my experience. Flew BOS-CDG-KBP on AF back in May. Booked on delta.com, selected seats, got them all right. (FWIW, a preferred seat on the BOS-CDG 747, compensated by a sh*tty one on the CDG-KBP 318 -- the latter was the only one I had been offered, at booking as well as when trying to change it later...)
Old Aug 7, 2008, 1:36 pm

Programs: Delta DM & CRC, Continental PM
Delta does the same thing. I was on a DL flight booked via a CO itinerary. DL would not reserve a seat for me; I had to check-in at the gate.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL GM
DL/AF codeshare booked w/DL flight number

Unfortunately, it seems that flights booked as codeshares with the DL flight number (rather than the AF flight number), you can't get access to make or modify your seat selection on either the AF or DL website.

At least, that has been my experience. I can enter my DL ticket number to get the 6-digit/letter AF booking code, but even using the AF code, the page I get shows only the flights, no seat assignments, and there are no links for making modifications.

I have sometimes had to wait until I got to the gate to get a decent seat assignment on AF, but, so far at least, I've never failed to get something satisfactory.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 6:27 pm

Why is it, that in 2008, when we can send people to the Moon and Mars, we cannot pre-assign seats for an Air France operated Delta-flight??
Probably because we cannot send people to the moon or Mars!
Old Aug 8, 2008, 2:06 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Again, as posted in other threads, there is one single way that works to get a seat confirmed on an AF-operated DL codeshare:

- Original booking has to be made in Amadeus (= you cannot purchase your ticket directly from Delta, you have to go through a travel agent)
- FF number has to be in the PNR before any seat requests are being made in order to get elite seating (if applicable)
- No seat changes possible after a seat has been confirmed
Old Aug 8, 2008, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by rcs85551
Again, as posted in other threads, there is one single way that works to get a seat confirmed on an AF-operated DL codeshare:

- Original booking has to be made in Amadeus (= you cannot purchase your ticket directly from Delta, you have to go through a travel agent)
- FF number has to be in the PNR before any seat requests are being made in order to get elite seating (if applicable)
- No seat changes possible after a seat has been confirmed
Booking not in Amadeus! That's the reason we can't go to the moon.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 3:19 am

Programs: LH Senator, AF Platinum, CX Gold, AA Gold, BA, QF, EK, KE
I think the problem lies in the fact that from the DL you can only request specific seat numbers, and AF only accept generic requests (e.g. window/aisle) from DL. The request, when it reaches AF, is rejected every time. There may be more to it than that though - even adding a seat request in the AF operating codeshare PNR in Amadeus doesn't work, for some reason. I fink it's a bug.

AF/DL - cowdshair uz doin it wrong.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 7:38 am

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
Originally Posted by Angeleno228
Did you try AF's website? You can retrieve your reservation with your Delta ticket number and last name and assign the seats on their website I believe.
"Been there done that" on a DL award Biz class ticket for AF DTW-CDG-LHR and VCE-CDG-DTW. Took a while to figure out how to do it but it worked for my wife and I.

Cheers
Old Aug 31, 2008, 8:19 am

Programs: DL PM
I was on a AF (DL codeshare) out of CDG to MAA and was booked in J class. AF switched my seat upon check-in so I was not sitting next to my boss and I got the worst J class seat in the house, next to the lav's.

I asked the GA, "why was my seat switched?" And she said "If you don't like it, write a letter to AF!"

For an $8,000 ticket, that is just rude.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 9:59 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles Gold, HH Gold
I recently made a reservation using SkyMiles from FCO-CDG-ATL on AirFrance. using a combination of the website and a Delta agent to complete the round trip. After I made the reservation, I was able to make my seat selection for the CDG- ATL segment by going to the Air France website and entering the ticket no.( the long no. that starts with 006) and last name. It brought my reservation up and also the Air France reservation no. as well. This was a coach ticket. Now, I am no wiz at this, and it was the first international reservation I have made, but it was no problem at all. I was not able to get a seat assignment for the FCO-CDG segment as their website states that these seats are assigned upon check-in.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 11:06 am
sqw

Programs: AA CK, National VIP, Hyatt Globalist, DL Diamond & MM, UA 1K
I booked Knoxville-Paris via ATL and DTW return next June in economy using skymiles. Both transatlantic legs are on AF. I called the Executive Partner line and asked them to confirm seats on AF and they said they would. I just checked the AF website using the ticket number and all four bookings show up - the seats are reserved and it appears I can change them. The AF legs have AF flight numbers (not codeshare)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.