Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL/NW Reciprocal Upgrades Starting October 28

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2008, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by stevekstevek
c) did he see himself on the standby list online?
Does NW show their list online? Wow. That is cool. I hope DL starts doing that.

Or did you just mean that it shows "Standby requested" for the upgraded seat, like DL.COM currently does?
Old Oct 27, 2008, 4:02 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
On the "Reservation Details" page, it says

It also has the "View Upgrade and Standby List" button. If I click that, it says " You are not on the Upgrade/Standby List for the flight(s) in your reservation."
I may be wrong, but the system shouldn't be displaying the view upgrade button if you aren't an elite. I'd say you are better to wait until the EUA tries to pick you up (generally runs around 1AMish). If that fails then see what the agents can do for you at the airport.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Does NW show their list online? Wow. That is cool. I hope DL starts doing that.

Or did you just mean that it shows "Standby requested" for the upgraded seat, like DL.COM currently does?
No, they have an online list. I think it's just airport standby, and you just know your place in it, not the names of others, or your place in line for pre-battlefield upgrades. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=860077
Old Oct 27, 2008, 4:09 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
That's what I thought.

Is there a way to uncheck-in, and recheck-in to try to get on the list? The agent confirmed there's R availability for at least one leg of my flights tomorrow.
You have to call, but NWA will uncheck you and allow you to re-checkin. I've used this technique to snare an R class seat on NWA more than once. I once had the elite agent question why I wanted to be unchecked-in, and I explained to her the reason. She was skeptical it would work, and stayed online while I re-checked in and snared the R seat. Needless to say, she was amazed... I'm sure the golds and plats who hadn't been upgraded yet, and were waiting for BF upgrades wouldn't be pleased, but... My theory is that I might as well take advantage of the tools I have and let them work in my favor. Having R open up between EUA runs is a good thing for me.

It made for a very nice DTW-LAS flight. (And yes, there were Plat's in Y...) Sorry to the Plat's, but we all have access to the same tools.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by james318
You have to call, but NWA will uncheck you and allow you to re-checkin. I've used this technique to snare an R class seat on NWA more than once. I once had the elite agent question why I wanted to be unchecked-in, and I explained to her the reason. She was skeptical it would work, and stayed online while I re-checked in and snared the R seat. Needless to say, she was amazed...
So, you're saying is the way it usually works is that if you're eligible for an upgrade, and there's R availability when you check in, you should see a button somewhere in the checkin process where it offers you the upgrade? 'Cause I don't see that now, and there is R availability for the first leg of my flight for tomorrow..
Old Oct 27, 2008, 5:54 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
No, they have an online list. I think it's just airport standby, and you just know your place in it, not the names of others, or your place in line for pre-battlefield upgrades. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=860077
Still very cool. As opposed to DL's which is all "mysterious".
Old Oct 27, 2008, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Speedy Rewards Beverage Club
Okay, so I'm confused. I'm flying a NW transcon this thursday...do I need to request an upgrade now?

UPDATE: figured it out. For those of you who are similarly befuddled, when you add your DL elite number to your NW res (or vice versa), your upgrade is automatically requested.

I hope.

Last edited by DAYflier; Oct 27, 2008 at 7:01 pm
Old Oct 27, 2008, 6:33 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
So, you're saying is the way it usually works is that if you're eligible for an upgrade, and there's R availability when you check in, you should see a button somewhere in the checkin process where it offers you the upgrade? 'Cause I don't see that now, and there is R availability for the first leg of my flight for tomorrow..
Well, on NWA, when you checkin it asks if you'd like to be upgraded.... Not sure about for DL folks...
Old Oct 27, 2008, 7:22 pm

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
In theory, you shouldn't have to request an upgrade on NW, it should be picked up automatically by what NW and NW FTers call EUA: Elite Upgrade Automation. You normally only have to request NOT to be upgraded, if there's some reason you don't want to be considered for EUA (traveling with a non-elite and you want to stay with them, or similar reasons.)

The "Would you like a complimentary upgrade to First Class?" question at OLCI is an additional point at where you can be upgraded if your upgrade didn't pre-clear during one of the EUA runs since the time of your window. Rumor has it that although EUA now for several months can run even after OLCI, somebody of lower status checking in and answering Yes can grab a newly-released R-class (NW's upgrade class) seat even if a higher-level elite would have gotten on the next EUA run.

In practice, I don't know what is going to happen during this transition period. MikeMpls explained to me the other day some details about why my new Plat CO status hasn't sped up the time of my NW upgrades - it's because even though I had NW reservations totally remove my NW# from the reservation, the EUA processor looks at the FF# and status as of the time of purchase, not at the current view of the PNR. At least for the decision about which window to upgrade you. It does appear to look at the status when finally including you in EUA from what I can tell - I'm consistently getting upgraded with Platinum priority but only at the Silver window - always #1 on the upgrade list which would not be the case. I've been putting my CO status on my NW reservations due to it being the highest of the 3 upgradeable programs, but I think something similar would happen to DL elites (for example, if I put my DL Gold # on it), for previously purchased tickets. NW's page on upgrades for its own elites now mentions DL as one of the airlines where NW elites can be upgraded, but specifies that is for DL tickets purchased as of 10/28 or later.

I get the feeling that likewise, NW's system might not automatically consider previously purchased DL itineraries. Unlike DL, NW reservations agents can not upgrade you if you call, even if you qualify for a free upgrade and there is upgrade space (R) available. Typically there's only three touchpoints where you can get upgraded as an Elite: EUA, the OLCI offer, or a GA battlefield upgrade. I'd encourage all DL elites to check in early as possible for NW flights to hopefully get the OLCI offer, and if not, get to the airport and actually speak with an NW check-in agent to see if they can upgrade you then. If not, get to the gate as soon as it opens and make sure you're on the upgrade list.

Hopefully as this process rolls out, and as we all start traveling on tickets bought after the changeover, it will go much smoother even before full airline integration.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by MarkXS
The "Would you like a complimentary upgrade to First Class?" question at OLCI is an additional point at where you can be upgraded if your upgrade didn't pre-clear during one of the EUA runs since the time of your window. Rumor has it that although EUA now for several months can run even after OLCI, somebody of lower status checking in and answering Yes can grab a newly-released R-class (NW's upgrade class) seat even if a higher-level elite would have gotten on the next EUA run.

In practice, I don't know what is going to happen during this transition period. MikeMpls explained to me the other day some details about why my new Plat CO status hasn't sped up the time of my NW upgrades - it's because even though I had NW reservations totally remove my NW# from the reservation, the EUA processor looks at the FF# and status as of the time of purchase, not at the current view of the PNR. At least for the decision about which window to upgrade you. It does appear to look at the status when finally including you in EUA from what I can tell - I'm consistently getting upgraded with Platinum priority but only at the Silver window - always #1 on the upgrade list which would not be the case. I've been putting my CO status on my NW reservations due to it being the highest of the 3 upgradeable programs, but I think something similar would happen to DL elites (for example, if I put my DL Gold # on it), for previously purchased tickets. NW's page on upgrades for its own elites now mentions DL as one of the airlines where NW elites can be upgraded, but specifies that is for DL tickets purchased as of 10/28 or later.
O.K. Wow! Thanks for an informative post!

Regarding the offer to upgrade you during OLCI...what I was told (and have followed) is that I should try checking in right at the 24 hour mark. It asks if I would like the upgrade which I answer YES. However if it tells me none is available and it will put me on the standby upgrade list...QUIT THE BROWSER. This cancels the check-in process and I try again later. As has been explained, if the timing is right...if R class opens up you can snag it at check-in before the gate runs EUA...

It would also seem that since I used my NW GE number when I purchased the ticket BUT have since put in my DL PM number...that when EUA runs at 5 days out for Plats...it will NOT see me...BUT when it runs at 3 days out for Golds, it will see me and I will be at the top of the list since I am Plat, is that correct?

Also, is there a free way to check what R availability is for a specific flight? I am more antsy then usual because for my NW DTW-SEA flight in early Nov they changed from a 757 to an A320 so there are fewer first class seats!
Old Oct 27, 2008, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by Burj

However if it tells me none is available and it will put me on the standby upgrade list...QUIT THE BROWSER. This cancels the check-in process and I try again later.
FYI, you don't actually need to quit the browser. Closing the window or pressing the "back" button will do just fine
Old Oct 27, 2008, 8:37 pm

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
Regarding the offer to upgrade you during OLCI...what I was told (and have followed) is that I should try checking in right at the 24 hour mark. It asks if I would like the upgrade which I answer YES. However if it tells me none is available and it will put me on the standby upgrade list...QUIT THE BROWSER. This cancels the check-in process and I try again later. As has been explained, if the timing is right...if R class opens up you can snag it at check-in before the gate runs EUA...
This used to be the conventional wisdom (other than you didn't have to quit the browser, just back out of or cancel the OLCI), because it did put you on the list as of that time, and left you on it with that timestamp even if you canceled check-in after the upgrade attempt. Time on list is one of the factors for the gate battlefield upgrade list (not really EUA at this point).

Supposedly once NW enhanced their systems last year, to continue EUA even after check-in, it became unnecessary. I still usually check-in at 23:59:59 before the flight whenever possible if I haven't been EUA'd already, if it's a reasonable hour for me to be up. Might just be superstition on my part at this point

It would also seem that since I used my NW GE number when I purchased the ticket BUT have since put in my DL PM number...that when EUA runs at 5 days out for Plats...it will NOT see me...BUT when it runs at 3 days out for Golds, it will see me and I will be at the top of the list since I am Plat, is that correct?
That's been my experience with my puchased-as-NW-Silver, replaced-with-CO-Plat reservations. Don't know if that's the case with DL but like I posted, I suspect that will happen.

Also, is there a free way to check what R availability is for a specific flight?
I'm not aware of any free way available to the general public. I think if you have an ExpertFlyer subscription you can see it; I'm pretty sure KVS cannot.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 9:24 pm

I'm not aware of any free way available to the general public. I think if you have an ExpertFlyer subscription you can see it; I'm pretty sure KVS cannot.
Not sure about KVS, but according to EF's listing, R is one of the 'award' fare buckets of NW's that can be displayed (others are A, D, U, Z, and W).
Old Oct 27, 2008, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by SamOF
FYI, you don't actually need to quit the browser. Closing the window or pressing the "back" button will do just fine
Yeah....but I like to KILL the browser window as a small way to express my frustration at not getting the upgrade!

(sometimes all you have in life is small victories!)
Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:04 pm

Supposedly once NW enhanced their systems last year, to continue EUA even after check-in, it became unnecessary. I still usually check-in at 23:59:59 before the flight whenever possible if I haven't been EUA'd already, if it's a reasonable hour for me to be up. Might just be superstition on my part at this point
Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean... If you check at the 23:59:59 mark are you saying NW might still have EUA running and that it WILL upgrade people even after they have checked in?

O.K. so in general...WHAT should be my strategy for checking in? On a related note...suppose I DO get the upgrade ahead of time, at check in if I change the FF# BACK to NW will the upgrade still hold?

I might do this because I need this flight to qualify for SE status on NW for next year.... (just in case of the SMALL possibility of the merger falling through I'd like to have some status on NW next year)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.