Wiki Posts
Search

Seven Hours on the tarmac in NYC

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2008, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
Seven Hours on the tarmac in NYC

The link below tells the story. Yes, I know weather was bad in the NE, but SO DID DELTA. Keeping people trapped in a plane for 7 hours? Yes, I know this has been discussed on this board ad nauseum but it still riles me up. Guess I now need to start bringing Ambien along on my domestic flights. I'm sure someone will come up with a reason why this was okay. Generous of Delta to "refund their fares." For those who feel this is okay, I wish upon you seven hours on the tarmac. Kind of like the old saying that a conservative is a liberal who has been mugged. Peace.

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/...ge_tab_newstab
Old Jul 28, 2008, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM; AS MVP-G
I recently (last week) spent +/- 8 hours in a lovely MD88 ORD-ATL.
Looking at the storms on radar surrounding ATL before departure -- I can't believe we were even boarded, dispatched, and put in the air.

Alas, we took the long way over to the NE arrival... where we held... and then diverted to CLT to join the rest of the pack over there.

Problem was, storms fired in CLT about 30 mins after landing... so we had to sit. And sit. And sit. The storms fired over and over in the same place.

We spent +/- 3.5 hours on the ground at CLT. Freaky lightning and wind. Full aircraft, of course.

Captain updated us when he had new info...which was about every hour. Strangely enough, it was an extremely calm plane. I think I saw only one moderately angry guy, all the way in the back....but all he ended up being was surly. I attribute the calmness to
1) Good FA's who kept a sense of humor, distributed water and cokes, along with whatever they had from the snackbasket;
2) NO BABIES on the plane. Youngest pax was 8 years old; next youngest, 15.
3) Good karma?

By the time we were finally refueled, dumped into a line of about 25 planes awaiting take off, cleared to Atlanta, and got down there... total time on the plane was close to 8 hours.

No press?
Old Jul 28, 2008, 6:08 pm

Actual delay was 5hrs, 1 minute.

DL 621 left the gate at JFK at 1104am. It's scheduled time was 1110. The tower in JFK requested that the plane leave ASAP as the ATC folks were getting ready to really shut things down.

My assumption--and I was not in JFK nor do I know what was happening on the ground there--is that either the Flight crew or dispatch (or even a gate agent) might have tried to get the plane out and off into the conga line before things really deteriorated. As such, plane is quickly boarded, dispatched and then get stuck in the taxi/take-off line. Ground stop after ground stop occurred in JFK yesterday...they were pretty continuous, and then coupled with the GDP that was set into place as the storms raced eastward out over Long Island.

The plane then got back into a gate at 4:05pm.

I do not know if the flight crew timed out, if they tried to get to an open gate (if any were available), or any of the other conditions on the field, on the ramp, or on the aircraft.

Unfortunate event. I think a full refund for the plane load of people was a reasonable move by DL.

But personally, it probably shouldn't have ever left the gatehouse.

I knew yesterday was going to be a bad one.

-b-
Old Jul 28, 2008, 6:38 pm

Programs: Bonvoy (Titanium) . Delta (Platinum)
The thing that always bothers me about the accounts of these incidents: Why is there always this moment where the crew seems to either inquire if passengers if they want to go back to the gate, or call for a vote to go back to the gate, or say they will stick it our unless one passenger states that really wants to go back to the gate?

I'm sorry, but to me thats just a complete abdication of professional responsability of the crew and the airline. Passengers should never be put in the drivers seat about whether a flight will operate or not. I don't want that responsability, and the last thing I want is fellow passengers to have that power over me.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 8:01 pm

Programs: Long Live NWA Silver Elite,Delta Silver Medallion
The real guilty party..

The real guilty party is usually ATC/FAA. The feds screw this up as often as not. I was on the tarmac at ORD for only 4 .5 hours last summer. Of course, the reason I was on it was because a nearby tornado knocked out the radar for incoming flights into ORD.

So, 40-50 planes sitting out in the open with tornados in the area. Remember, your government just wants to help you

tbf
Old Jul 28, 2008, 8:33 pm

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by GreerApproach
I recently (last week) spent +/- 8 hours in a lovely MD88 ORD-ATL.
Looking at the storms on radar surrounding ATL before departure -- I can't believe we were even boarded, dispatched, and put in the air.

Alas, we took the long way over to the NE arrival... where we held... and then diverted to CLT to join the rest of the pack over there.

Problem was, storms fired in CLT about 30 mins after landing... so we had to sit. And sit. And sit. The storms fired over and over in the same place.

We spent +/- 3.5 hours on the ground at CLT. Freaky lightning and wind. Full aircraft, of course.

Captain updated us when he had new info...which was about every hour. Strangely enough, it was an extremely calm plane. I think I saw only one moderately angry guy, all the way in the back....but all he ended up being was surly. I attribute the calmness to
1) Good FA's who kept a sense of humor, distributed water and cokes, along with whatever they had from the snackbasket;
2) NO BABIES on the plane. Youngest pax was 8 years old; next youngest, 15.
3) Good karma?

By the time we were finally refueled, dumped into a line of about 25 planes awaiting take off, cleared to Atlanta, and got down there... total time on the plane was close to 8 hours.

No press?
I feel your pain! A couple weeks ago I was coming home DTW-ATL and we were literally 1000 feet off the ground and we got diverted to Knoxville. Then we had 2 mechanicals in Knoxville - one caused an aborted takeoff. Real Fun. Anyway to make a long story short we left DTW at 11:40am and arrived in ATL at 9 or 9:30 - don't remember exactly but it was 9-10 hours for a 2 hours flight.

No news coverage there either and we were on the plane the whole time - some people got off for a couple minutes but then right back on. Regardless it was a long damn time on a plane with NO FOOD AND NO DRINKS IN COACH and peanuts in first class.

After all that they insult us by sending a $50 voucher in the mail. Woo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.