Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Permissable: Delta AMEX Plat Companion Certificate + Voucher ?

Old Nov 2, 2008, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, CRC; Hilton and Marriott Gold

I've used the Delta Platinum AMEX Companion Certificate several times. I know it requires you to use your AMEX card to do the purchase of the first ticket plus taxes/fees for the companion. However, can I use some Elecontric vouchers I have from overbooking volunteering? Will the Customer Service folks (non SMS) permit me to use the credits associated with my Skymiles account to cover the cost of the original ticket?

Reason I ask is that if the net cost is zero dollars cash b/c of the vouchers, the AMEX credit card isn't needed for purchase...

Bob
Old Nov 2, 2008, 7:26 pm

I highly doubt it. I'm reading the T&C on mine right now (plan on using it tomorrow) and it says

"Primary ticket and companion ticket must be purchased with your delta skymiles credit card".

The first time I used a cert, I tried using my visa debit card and they wouldn't let me, even partially.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 7:34 pm

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
Originally Posted by reddawngrl
I highly doubt it. I'm reading the T&C on mine right now (plan on using it tomorrow) and it says

"Primary ticket and companion ticket must be purchased with your delta skymiles credit card".

The first time I used a cert, I tried using my visa debit card and they wouldn't let me, even partially.
this is correct. I tried this exact scenario and was told that the full price of the "paid" ticket has to be purchased with your DL branded AMEX card. even though the original ticket that was cancelled was paid for with my AMEX card....
Old Nov 2, 2008, 7:40 pm

Programs: Delta, Turkish Elite, American
That stinks!! I have a $400 voucher...I was going to use with my companion voucher...guess not.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 9:47 am

Were you able to get a good fare to go with the companion ticket or must you pay top dollar for the one ticket????
Old Nov 12, 2008, 11:03 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by kahuna613
That stinks!! I have a $400 voucher...I was going to use with my companion voucher...guess not.

Aren't you going to take more than 1 flight this year? If so use companion for one and voucher for another (unless expiration dates and issue here than use voucher first)
Old Nov 12, 2008, 11:30 am

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
Originally Posted by flytalkrich
Were you able to get a good fare to go with the companion ticket or must you pay top dollar for the one ticket????
companion cert only works with LUT fares.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 11:56 am

Programs: Delta, Turkish Elite, American
Originally Posted by lls138
Aren't you going to take more than 1 flight this year? If so use companion for one and voucher for another (unless expiration dates and issue here than use voucher first)
Yeah, I will....the voucher expires in July I believe. I think Delta is matching a bunch of USAir fares to the Caribbean throughout this winter, and Im looking to head south the weekend of inauguration....thirty cent flight to St. Thomas anyone??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.