Wiki Posts
Search

Should I have accepted the bump?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2007, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Should I have accepted the bump?

I recently flew from SAN-ATL-ORD. All the flights for the day were sold (some convention ended the previous day). I had confirmed upgrades on both the legs of my trip. The agent at the gate was offering $200 voucher and a confirmed seat on another flight. I checked with her and seat was on SAN-SLC-ORD in Y and in the middle. I decided not to take the offer. I am wondering if I did the right thing. What do others think? Was there anything else that I could have done?
Old Nov 20, 2007, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Maybe yes, maybe no.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 2:20 pm
J-M
Suspended

Originally Posted by jeelele
I recently flew from SAN-ATL-ORD. All the flights for the day were sold (some convention ended the previous day). I had confirmed upgrades on both the legs of my trip. The agent at the gate was offering $200 voucher and a confirmed seat on another flight. I checked with her and seat was on SAN-SLC-ORD in Y and in the middle. I decided not to take the offer. I am wondering if I did the right thing. What do others think? Was there anything else that I could have done?
It all depends on whether that $200 was worth getting stuck back in Y. I would have probably tried to negotiate the $200, plus an alternative routing in F (maybe SAN-JFK-ORD, or SAN-SLC-CVG-ORD, etc depending on times).
Old Nov 20, 2007, 2:23 pm

I wouldn't give up a confirmed F upgrade for a Y middle seat if someone walked up to me and handed me $200 cash, let alone a voucher.

But that's just me.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 2:26 pm

Programs: 4MM/DM, Marriott Lifetime PM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by jeelele
Was it worth $200 to give up your upgrade and fly via SLC? Would you have gotten in any earlier? Was it worth $200? Was sitting in a middle seat worth $200?
Old Nov 20, 2007, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gator21
Was it worth $200 to give up your upgrade and fly via SLC? Would you have gotten in any earlier? Was it worth $200? Was sitting in a middle seat worth $200?
The answer would be:

No, No, Not sure, probably not.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by J-M
It all depends on whether that $200 was worth getting stuck back in Y. I would have probably tried to negotiate the $200, plus an alternative routing in F (maybe SAN-JFK-ORD, or SAN-SLC-CVG-ORD, etc depending on times).
May be, I should have pursued this further but didn't as there were many others who were in the line behind me to volunteer. So I figured its not going to be difficult for them to find volunteers, then why should they consider my demand.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
I think you did the right thing. If no one else had been interested you could have gone back to inquire about a better offer.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by abefroman329
I wouldn't give up a confirmed F upgrade for a Y middle seat if someone walked up to me and handed me $200 cash, let alone a voucher.

But that's just me.
I can't even think of what it would take to get me to give up a confirmed seat in F to take a middle seat (esp non-exit row) on a transcon.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 2:59 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
It would take a very significant amount of $$$ for me to let go a F ticket on a medium-haul for a Y middle.

JP
Old Nov 20, 2007, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses. I thought I did the right thing and your responses confirm it. Thanks.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by here
I can't even think of what it would take to get me to give up a confirmed seat in F to take a middle seat (esp non-exit row) on a transcon.
A Klondike bar?
Old Nov 20, 2007, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LA, WN, SPG Plat, MR Gold
I would have, provided I was rebooked into Y for 150% MQM. For me, that $200 is $200 less that I have to pay towards another trip.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DukieDrew
I would have, provided I was rebooked into Y for 150% MQM. For me, that $200 is $200 less that I have to pay towards another trip.
I was already flying B fare . So I was getting the additional MQM, and I am already GM for next year and do not really need any more MQM (I do not intend to aim for PM).
Old Nov 20, 2007, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL PM/CRC, UA*G, HH Diamond, AFirst
Red face Really?

Are we really having this discussion? $200?

Confirmed upgrades and you're pondering 200? and no upgrade afterwards?

Couple thoughts:
- typically if you have a first class seat, irregardless how you got it, and you give it up- or are purposely bumped, it should be to the next flight and that same status. (Now I could be officially in error, but this has been true from all my experiences. I once rebooked from thunderstorm Dulles from first to first.)
- $200 is chicken feed. They've got $400 out there. I'd say play it up that you're giving up a good seat, why not bump it up. Maybe they can- bat your eyes, be a nice guy.

And to be fair to everyone and not sound like a complete sod, it's totally a personal thing. It all depends just how MUCH you travel. I travel quite a bit.... hahaha. That's one way to put it. To ME- i'll take the upgrades. Get me home. For $400 I'll play the game, otherwise I'd like a Bacardi & Diet please.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.