Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

When the Airline You Love Walks Away - DL Leaving BGM

Old Jul 13, 2007, 9:27 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club

Well, the writing was on the wall, and I said it here a year ago, Jim Whitehurst promised me it wasnt going to happen, and it was announced today. DL is pulling all service from BGM Sept 6th!

I was as much of a kool-aid drinker as there was, but Delta you did this to yourself.......

Last year DL changed from BGM-CVG....this is the end product of that decision

In between we had BGM-ATL, a 2+ hour flight on RJ's, a severe drop in on time performance and a huge increase in cancellations. A couple months ago we swapped one of the BGM-ATL (we had 2 a day) for BGM-JFK. Reliability even lower, and using props instead of RJ's.

The only one who has benefited from this is NWA, their BGM-DTW flights are constantly oversold. They were smart enough to know a reliable flight, to the center of the country was what we need. Delta was too blind to see that.

BTW Delta is claiming that this was over loads, loads at BGM are up 44% in the last year.

Jim, Jerry....you guys really blew it on this one!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 13, 2007, 10:02 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Enjoy the DTW WorldGateway or. trekking up to SYR, neither of which will be fun in the Winter.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 10:13 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec Elite, Delta
Originally Posted by Lehava
I was as much of a kool-aid drinker as there was, but Delta you did this to yourself.......
Don't think that was Kool-aid you were drinking when we met at the Red Carpet....

Sorry to hear that DL is pulling out of your home airport. What does this mean for you? Flying on NW? Driving to another airport that DL serves?

I know if you leave DL for NW, DL will lose one of their most loyal outspoken customers.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 10:41 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Truth, this is going to drive another decision I was pondering, moving out of Binghamton in the very near future (my house has been on the market for about 3 weeks but I still hadnt decided for sure if I was buying another in the area or moving to the Twin Cities area).

Forget for a minute the Kool-Aid and how I feel about Delta, this decision will have major travel implications for our community. Prices on flights for the other three airlines will go up significantly, and the availability of seats will go way down. It was already impossible to get home if you missed a connection, it took days to get a seat, loads at the airport are VERY high right now, almost always oversold. Flying every week under those conditions just isnt going to be viable anymore.

As for my loyalty, I am not sure what I will do. I hate NW, that is the bottom line, but it looks like I will be spending a lot of time on their planes, so will probably have no choice now but to be an elite with them. That will never make me a loyalist however, this will be about functionality not love.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 10:47 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I hope this does not portend you no longer posting in the Delta forum, Lehava.

I am sorry to learn of the latest news regarding Delta Air Lines ending their service to Binghamton.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
My condolences on your loss.

At least, unlike for Grandma BamaVol and l4p, DL pulling out still leaves you with options that don't involve a 90 minute drive and it doesn't make US look attractive.

DL seems to come and go in the smaller markets and I'm not sure they're learning anything from the experience.

It looks like you'll be giving your loyalty to another airline, even if you do move to another location, but I hope you'll stick around this forum.

Good luck.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 11:12 am

Programs: DL, NW Silver Elite, Hilton
Well, if I recall, you'd told me some time back about a possible career/move/change, and how your loyalty may be affected.

I know you're disappointed, but maybe in the long run it helps make your decisions easier.....
Old Jul 13, 2007, 11:19 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by rnovak
What does this mean for you? Flying on NW? Driving to another airport that DL serves?
Lehava should probably just move to a city that DL serves.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 11:26 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yorock
Lehava should probably just move to a city that DL serves.
I actually considered that in my move criteria, and CVG was one of my top choices, but the reality is a lot of my work is in the Twin Cities and it is the place that will mean I can be home the most nights and that is the single biggest factor for me right now
Old Jul 13, 2007, 11:34 am

Programs: DL DM, former NW PE
Come on over to the RedTails...Mikey did, I did, and it has been a good experience. I'll buy the first round in the MSP World Club.

Although there is the informal "no match within ST", I'd write to NW and see about getting status. Since DL is leaving your market, they might just see this as a great opportunity.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 11:38 am
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Where is BGM, couldn't find it on a map

Old Jul 13, 2007, 11:56 am

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold, MR Gold
http://www.world-airport-codes.com/
Old Jul 13, 2007, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
. I hate NW, that is the bottom line, but it looks like I will be spending a lot of time on their planes, so will probably have no choice now but to be an elite with them.
Flying DL out of MSP is no big deal. The only flights are to hubs (just like BGM) but there are a lot more to choose from, plus you have many NW options.

The SkyTeam airlines generally refrain from poaching one another's elites but do make exceptions when service is withdrawn from a community. I'd suggest you save some documentation about DL's withdrawal from BGM and use it to make your case with NW. Caveat on timing: If you do that late in the year and move to MSP and end up flying less, you might not requalify by the end of the year.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 12:31 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by jfe
Where is BGM, couldn't find it on a map
If Delta doesn't fly there, there's no need to be on any map.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Well, the writing was on the wall, and I said it here a year ago, Jim Whitehurst promised me it wasnt going to happen, and it was announced today. DL is pulling all service from BGM Sept 6th!

Last year DL changed from BGM-CVG....this is the end product of that decision

In between we had BGM-ATL, a 2+ hour flight on RJ's, a severe drop in on time performance and a huge increase in cancellations. A couple months ago we swapped one of the BGM-ATL (we had 2 a day) for BGM-JFK. Reliability even lower, and using props instead of RJ's.

The only one who has benefited from this is NWA, their BGM-DTW flights are constantly oversold. They were smart enough to know a reliable flight, to the center of the country was what we need. Delta was too blind to see that.

BTW Delta is claiming that this was over loads, loads at BGM are up 44% in the last year.

Jim, Jerry....you guys really blew it on this one!!!!!!!!!
Lehava, you have my sympathies. I know you've been a big booster of Delta. I also understand the "small airport" syndrome. As much as I like Delta, if they ever pulled from DAB, I'd be in a tough spot as well. I'd either go with the replacement airline or learn to love the drive to/from MCO.

How long is the drive to SYR for you, and does Delta serve SYR? Another option that a friend of mine in BGM uses is Wilkes-Barre Scranton and ABE. Just a couple of thoughts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.