Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

When the Airline You Love Walks Away - DL Leaving BGM

When the Airline You Love Walks Away - DL Leaving BGM

Old Jul 14, 2007, 8:12 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Word is there is more to come!

There is talk that DL is going to slowly wind down the smaller CRJ fleet... they are uneconomic for a variety of reasons. So I suspect that any stations that cannot support service from larger RJs will be at risk of abandonment.
This won't happen overnight, of course.

The other reason why DL may abandon a station is when the initial startup service occurred as a result of a travel bank arrangement, essentially a load factor guarantee from the local chamber of commerce or the like. When the "subsidy" or guarantee expires, so does the route (unless DL found the route to be successful). I believe that is what happened to New Haven, CT which had brief service to CVG a few years back.

Routes like the ones from BOS to the Canadian maritimes (YYG, YFC etc) are all subsidized by local organizations. I know that some routes out of SLC are currently or were initially subsidized (RDM, EUG, MFR).

Was BGM ever a subsidized station for DL?
Old Jul 14, 2007, 9:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RobertS975
Routes like the ones from BOS to the Canadian maritimes (YYG, YFC etc) are all subsidized by local organizations. I know that some routes out of SLC are currently or were initially subsidized (RDM, EUG, MFR).

Was BGM ever a subsidized station for DL?
BGM had incentives. Not sure about subsidies, per se.

Some cities that initially were subsidized, like RDM and MFR, have done quite well and have last years past the expiration of any support.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
This is an excellent reason why none of us should ever be married to any given airline.

I fought long and hard over SaveSkymiles.com I took it personal, then realized that an airline is just a way to get from point A to point B.

No matter what anyone says in any of the airline forums at FT...They are all as good or bad as the rest. And, one thing for sure, they will ALL make changes for the worse...Not Better!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I moved on to NW. If they screw up, I'll find something else.

Lehava's problem, is that unless she moves, she doesn't have any good options.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 11:40 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mikey1003
I moved on to NW. If they screw up, I'll find something else.
Does that include returning to DL?

You make an excellent point Mike. Amazing how emotionally attached we get to these corporations.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DLfan
Does that include returning to DL?
If they count segments
Old Jul 14, 2007, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Deleted. Off topic.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 4:32 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
I don't believe there was direct subsidies but Delta was sought by BGM not the other way around. There was work done at the airport to lure them and I am sure there was other promises and deals.

A day into all this, you could say I am moving through my stages of grieving, I am now just sad, but you know what, I can't blame Delta for any of this. I am sad because this community, that used to be so great (we are the origination of IBM, Flight Simulators, Endicott Johnson Shoe, Universal Instruments and so much more) is in a death spiral. Truth, I dont think we will see BGM here another 10 years, and that saddens me beyond words.

I am also heartbroken for the 17 employees who will lose their jobs (I dont see them taking the offer to move to other markets as they all have families here). We have the BEST staff in the country (ok I'm bias) and to know they will all be jobless breaks my heart. Some of them are older and there is not going to be much for them job wise here.

But with that said, how can I blame Delta for pulling out when I am considering doing the same with my business? This community financially has nothing to offer businesses that want to be here.

I agree and disagree with Mikey, part of me says he is right about not being loyal to any airline, but not having status is not a choice. Forget upgrades for a minute *gasp* having to deal with baseline CSR phone lines is not something I can deal with, I spend too much time travelling for that BS (heck at NW that gets you told "we're too busy to talk, call later" and hung on).

But you know what, all airlines are NOT the same. Delta does have a heart and soul, and if I doubted that the email I just received from my "friends" there in Atlanta in response to my email yesterday to them reminded me of that. When an executive goes out of his way to communicate with a single medallion in a market that Delta now how no vested interest in and goes out of his way to try to help with solutions, it is more than your average airline!!!!!!!

Like I said, if I need to get status on NW to travel I will do that, but my heart will always be with Delta!!!!!
Old Jul 14, 2007, 4:33 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Originally Posted by Traveller
Deleted. Off topic.
Oh put it back, it had to be good *smile*
Old Jul 14, 2007, 4:57 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by Lehava
Like I said, if I need to get status on NW to travel I will do that, but my heart will always be with Delta!!!!!
Glad to hear that, I have read everything here. I would feel the same way. For me, living in SLC is a great reason to fly DL. However I did fly one of those other nasty airlines and stood up for them till one day as a Plat on them they didn't do the right thing and that left a sour taste in my mouth. I no longer fly with them or give them ANY of my money. Delta does care about people, esp their FF'ers, but like you said, sometimes the community does not and can not provide what DL needs to keep them in that market.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by Lehava
Oh put it back, it had to be good *smile*
It was. Anything that talks about Mikey and segments is always good.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Traveller
It was. Anything that talks about Mikey and segments is always good.
Did I hear my name called?
Old Jul 14, 2007, 7:01 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
If they count segments
so, if they count segments you are "all in ?"

I thought your major gripe was about the $$$$ from CVG.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
If they count segments
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
We keep trying to tell you...Delta DOES count segments. You will earn PM for a mere 150 segments!
Old Jul 14, 2007, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by baccarat_king

I thought your major gripe was about the $$$$ from CVG.
No, my major gripe was always segments ( and Old Miles..but that was after I quit DL)

$$$$ has always been a fact of life at CVG. I have been flying out of DAY for many years because of CVG extortion. (A few trips from IND, CMH and whatever the Hell Louisville is called)

I told Robby Boy Borden, no segments and I would take my business elsewhere. That went back to the Save SkyMiles days

To answer your question about all in... I am happy with NW now. They would have to screw up and DL would have to count segments for me to go back. (PM on NW is 100 segments)
Old Jul 15, 2007, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
(PM on NW is 100 segments)
Yes, but you have to admit that 150 segments on DL is much more comfortable and pleasurable than 100 segments on NW. (as long as none of those are spent on delayed/cancelled Comair flights)

Hence the laments of lovely Lehava.

<gd&r>

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.