Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

The difference between a "waitlist" and the stand by list

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2006, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat

EXPLANATION...these are two seperate things.

The Waitlist is a computerized program that allows you to be placed on a list and wait for a specific class of service (ie N for an award ticket V/G for an upgrade etc.) to become available in advance of going to the airport and taking your flight. The computerized program will clear you if the class of service becomes available up to three hours before your flight.
The waitlist is also closed to upgrading three hours prior to departure. If you are talking to a reservations agent you are usually talking about the waitlist since they do not get involved with the standby lists.

The Airport Standby List (ASL) is the list you are put on at the airport (you are standing by at the gate) The Airport Standby List is opened three hours prior to departure of your flight and closes 30 minutes before (supposedly). This is the list that you see on the GIDS screens at the gate. The gate agent is the one that clears this list not the computer.

It used to be that you had to always request to be put on the ASL at the airport if you didn't clear the waitlist but now I believe there is some automation that will add you to it when you check in a the curb or kiosk.

With the exception of companion upgrades you can still be placed on the ASL if you were not waitlisted. Companions can not be.

If more than one person is standing by for an upgrade with the same status the computer will use the time stamp of the original waitlist or by check in time if never waitlisted.

I hope this helps clear it up for some people.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 10:36 pm

Programs: DL FO,Starwood Gold, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Nexus & Global Entry
I think this belongs in this thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602382
Old Sep 17, 2006, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Perhaps, since upgrading is why most people here are using the waitlist or standby list for.

But those two lists are used for much more than upgrading.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 8:02 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Excellent explanation. Thanks.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 8:30 am

Programs: DL Humble Silver, Amex plat, Hilton Hhonors Gold,Elite Exec National
Thanks but .....

I have been told that I cannot be added to the airport wait list when checking in at MAN for a flight connecting to a domestic US flight in ATL . Is this because it is an international originating flight or because the time frame is too long?
Old Sep 17, 2006, 11:30 am

Programs: DL GM SkyClub; Starwood Gold, Hertz Gold, HILTON DIAMOND
Did "waitlisted" show up on segments in which you requested an elite upgrade after there was a schedule change? That seems to happen a lot. If you call SMS, they clear it up.
SR
Old Sep 17, 2006, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinkies
I have been told that I cannot be added to the airport wait list when checking in at MAN for a flight connecting to a domestic US flight in ATL . Is this because it is an international originating flight or because the time frame is too long?
Manchester may be a city that is contracted out and not staffed by Delta employees or the Delta computer system. They may use a "check in" only system where they cannot even see your reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.