Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Remedies for in-flight gas?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2003, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Remedies for in-flight gas?

*disclaimer* This is a serious topic and it's relevant to Delta... please refrain from posting if what you have to say is not constructively relevant to the topic at hand

Going to be flying PDX-DFW-MSY with my dad, who's relatively young, but has a serious problem with in-flight bloating/gas.

I assume it's due to pressure... and traditional remedies such as Maalox don't offer much aid.

I've heard tell that this is actually a relatively common affliction for nonfrequent flyers... so I figured if anyone would have any remedies, it would be you guys.

Does Delta/TSA allow self-administration of nonprescription medication on their flights? Should inflight food/drinks be avoided (as if there'll be any)? etc

Thanks in advance

------------------
A340s don't fly... they're repelled from Earth by their ugliness!
Old May 26, 2003, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I was going to say this thread deserves a one-way, non-upgradeable ticket to OMNI. Then I saw the disclaimer. And I still think .......

Never mind. Go back to your regular Sunday programs.
Old May 26, 2003, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

As I said, I'm quite serious... this has been a major impediment as far as my family's travel enjoyment goes; and sadly, the kiddies of Airliners.net were far too immature fo be of any assistance.

So again, any advice would be appreciated.

------------------
A340s don't fly... they're repelled from Earth by their ugliness!
Old May 26, 2003, 2:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
777-232LR....I had nothing pressing to do today so I ran a Google search on your subject. I found that I had to refine my search terms because when I entered airline and bloated, all I got was a reference to Uncle Leo and his staff's recent pay raises, bonus program and retirement plan.
I did find out some helpful information, however, and it's in a document form so I'm e-mailing it to the address in your profile. The article addresses a variety of inflight ailments including the condition that your Dad suffers from.
Hope you folks enjoy your flight!
Old May 26, 2003, 3:01 pm

I hear that you might want to avoid milk and strong fruit juices... in particular, apple juice (for whatever reason).

You might find this Airliners.net thread to be rather relevant... but caution: it's pretty hardcore! :P

------------------
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!
~ConcordeBoy

Try the Unofficial Continental Airlines Dictionary
Old May 26, 2003, 5:23 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
My advice: turn the air vents up high and let 'er rip! No one will ever know!
Old May 26, 2003, 7:20 pm

Location: KEWR / SPG Plat, HH Diamond, DL Plat, ZE 5*, AA Plat, UA Nobody
I usually just let it rip. I get a fair amount sometimes while flying. If I can make it to the bathroom.....great....if not....oh well. If I don't let it out, it builds up then starts to bother my stomach which for some strange reason gets me anxious in flight. When I say anxious, I mean serious anxiety/panic attack.
Old May 26, 2003, 7:47 pm

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Flatulence is aggravated in flight because gas inside you expands more in the depressured plane cabin.

Eat before flying, that will reduce the chances of gas discomfort.

Sometimes you have to get up several times to go to the rest room. The person on the aisle is going to have to make the choice of letting you out or letting you let it out in your seat.

If you do get to the bathrrom but have to wait there, I will have to leave it up to you whether to let it out little by little while waiting.

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm

[This message has been edited by AllanJ (edited 05-26-2003).]
Old May 26, 2003, 9:30 pm

Programs: DL 1.3MM/SM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum
Came across this interesting product while browsing the okflavor website. It appears to be a Real product as bizarre as it may seem.

http://www.flat-d.com/instructions1.html

Good Luck
Old May 26, 2003, 10:31 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ThisDJ:
Came across this interesting product while browsing the okflavor website. It appears to be a Real product as bizarre as it may seem.

http://www.flat-d.com/instructions1.html

Good Luck
</font>
ThisDJ.. incredible find!! Ahhhh, the wonders of the Internet! Hard to believe someone is actually marketing a product of this nature. I can think of about a dozen comments to make regarding this apparatus, none of which would be apropos to this forum.

Old May 26, 2003, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
We cannot accept returns of opened flat-d products as it is a personal hygiene product and we must be able to guarantee its cleanliness.

No kidding.

------------------
~ Glen ~

Come visit HERE the most ** FRIENDLY FORUM ** on FlyerTalk. No flame wars, no personal abuse, no substance abuse. Not much of anything really!
Old May 27, 2003, 2:23 am

Seriously avoid carbonated beverages before and during flight. The carbonation is part of the problem.

Athletes are often restricted from carbonated beverages for this reason that it causes gas and cramping.

Have a good trip.
Old May 27, 2003, 7:05 am

Location: DL: PM/2M; UA: 1K; AA: Plat/2MM; SQ: PPS; US: Plat; Starwood: Plat; Hilton: Diam Hyatt: Diam; Loews Plat; Avis: Chair.
Would you please post what flights and dates he's going to be traveling. Each time he travels please.
Old May 27, 2003, 12:13 pm

Now that I think about it... I remember watching "Boeing 777, Airliner of the 21st Century".

In it, they had a stewardess talking about how common a problem that massive flatulent buildups are for people on longhauls, and how the aircraft is somehow/way designed to be "nicer" to the crew for it.

Just fyi

------------------
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!
~ConcordeBoy

Try the Unofficial Continental Airlines Dictionary
Old May 27, 2003, 12:58 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Platinum
Excessive gas while flying is a common problem. In fact at many airlines FA's refer to people who pass gas while walking down the aisle as cropdusters!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.