Routing Question

Old Nov 10, 2007, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: dlff
Question Routing Question

Working on a trip to Alaska late next summer. When I go to the DAL website,
checking coach flights, using a "Y" flexible fare, I get some fairly direct routes, including TPA-ATL-ANC...Delta all the way. If I check "F" fares, we're suddenly on multi-stop routes, which ususally end with a handoff to Alaskan Airlines.Can anyone explain this? And does anyone have any idea which
fare can be upgraded to F with miles? Figure if anyone knows, it'll be the people here. Thanks in advance.
TPAnx
Old Nov 10, 2007, 12:56 pm
coz

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by tpanx
checking coach flights, using a "Y" flexible fare, I get some fairly direct routes, including TPA-ATL-ANC...Delta all the way. If I check "F" fares, we're suddenly on multi-stop routes, which ususally end with a handoff to Alaskan Airlines.Can anyone explain this? And does anyone have any idea which
fare can be upgraded to F with miles? Figure if anyone knows, it'll be the people here. Thanks in advance.
TPAnx
First, when you search the flights in coach, and you click on Check Seats do you see any open First Class Seats?

If so, try searching by "schedule" instead of "price" for the first class seats. For some reason a lot more choices show up this way--even though the prices for all of them are the same, and it solves this issue most of the time . If it STILL does not come up, call the web tech support, then can help you find them.

As far as upgradable fares:

It is Y/B/M for continental United States.
To Hawaii and Alaska it is Y/B/M/H/Q/K.

In order to get the upgrade there will need to be seats left in the V or X fare class. You can call Delta and ask if there are any available before purchasing. And then get the upgrade at the same time you purchase them.

To search for a specific fare class go to the full search option page here:
https://www.delta.com/booking/searchFlights.do

There you can select fare class K or higher.

Last edited by coz; Nov 10, 2007 at 12:56 pm Reason: Somehow I quoted OP twice -- removed one

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by tpanx
checking coach flights, using a "Y" flexible fare, I get some fairly direct routes, including TPA-ATL-ANC...Delta all the way. If I check "F" fares, we're suddenly on multi-stop routes, which ususally end with a handoff to Alaskan Airlines.Can anyone explain this?
Try searching by schedule instead of by price, and/or try doing multi-city routing.

And does anyone have any idea which
TPAnx
EDIT:Answered above.

Programs: DL PM/CRC, UA*G, HH Diamond, AFirst
Depends on where in Alaska. ANC anchorage has some pretty decent DL service. Did a trip to CVG to SLC to ANC. Good trip. both legs are lengthy and if you use some miles to get you in first- or just get the free upgrade it makes all the difference in the word. i got the upgrade to ANC and had a BLAST (and quite a few cocktails).

Now if you're going to Juneau, or some other amazing adventure location- my bro lives in Juneau- then you're gonna have to connect to something with Alaska. Often its through seattle. Nothing you can do. Watch out if you involve too many partners... I had NW and AK arguing over a screwed up ticket, leaving me stuck in Juneau for a while.

As to your question with fares, etc. Just give DL res a call, and have her tweak it until it works. If it's biz just expense the $20 call fee. It's worth a comfortable flight- plus they can get you that upgrade information you need.

Hope it helped- I love ramblin' about Alaska. Great place!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.