E-mail Itinerary attachments disappearing

Old Mar 24, 2006, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
E-mail Itinerary attachments disappearing

Whenever I book on Delta.com and have them send me an e-mailed itinerary, the attachment disappears after the first time I look at it. Does anyone else have this problem? I am using Outlook and the e-mail comes with an attachment. I view the e-mail and see the intinerary. If I click off of the e-mail for any reason, the little paper clip thingy disappears. The next time I view the e-mail, it's blank.

I receive other e-mail with attachments on a regular basis without a problem. It's only these itinerary e-mails that seem to act a bit strange.

Anyone else now what I am talking about or am I alone in this?
Old Mar 25, 2006, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
You are not alone. This just recently happened to me as well. I get the emails (this has happened to 4 itin). I am able to read it in HTML format, even though it looks like an attachment. Then when I try to read it again, it is gone.

My email normally allows attachements and I compose and read in HTML (vs text). This is the only time it seems to happen.

Any help out there?

By the way, I booked with an agent because it was a SkyMiles Intl ticket (all 4 times) - and yes, I got SkySaver within a day of what I was looking for to Europe.
Old Mar 25, 2006, 10:06 pm

I'm not a regular DL flyer -- I just had my first DL flight yesturday.

I booked my DL ticket last month and received an email itinerary. However, I could not view it in Thunderbird, and I did not try using Outlook. Thunderbird would just display a blank screen. To view and print it, I had to login to the mail server using an internet browser (basically, web based email).
Old Jun 4, 2009, 4:05 pm

Delta itineraries disappear

All the Delta itineraries disappear after you look at them one time! They do this for a lot of people and Delta won't acknowledge the problem. But other airlines don't have this problem. Delta's issue forces us to print the itin before it disappears - which is a feat in itself. It's really annoying and the worst part is they won't even acknowledge the problem. Typical Delta...
Old Jun 4, 2009, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I have received dozens of Delta Electronic Ticket receipts by email, and have never had a problem opening the attachment repeated times. I use Outlook. Maybe your problem relates to incompatibility issues with your email program and the Delta email formatting. Delta needs to be aware that Outlook is one of many email programs, and make sure the email attachments are compatible with all of them.
Again, Outlook works perfectly with them for me.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 11:52 pm
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
If you are using Outlook 2007 and have not installed the preview-filters, you might notice that the screen is not entirely blank; but says in *tiny* letters that "The preview plugin is not installed" and shows a white screen. I usually have to double-click the attached HTML and open it in a browser. It's a little annoying.

In Thunderbird, it is vital to have specifically flagged the DL email address as *safe*. If you dont it might block the content of the "body.html" file attached, which contains all the actual text (itin) of the e-Mail.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 8:31 am

I made a reservation yesterday and the email from [email protected] came in a few moments. The receipt and itenarary is not an attachmnent.

I've never had one disappear, be it Outlook or Yahoo mail.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 11:56 am
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Originally Posted by lchansen
I made a reservation yesterday and the email from [email protected] came in a few moments. The receipt and itenarary is not an attachmnent.

I've never had one disappear, be it Outlook or Yahoo mail.
Well that is not entirely true. DL is sending the Itins of as a full HTML attachment: "Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="Body.html". ALL actual content (the itin) is in HTML. Outlook refuses by default to display any attachments, which are not in plain text, so thats why it appears just white.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by c_d
Well that is not entirely true. DL is sending the Itins of as a full HTML attachment:
I use Eudora (HIGHLY recommended over Outlook*...) and while the e-mail from DL is html (DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional) it is content, not attachment.

*It has been said that Outlook is a highly efficient virus and trojan distribution system which happens to have some e-mail capabilities.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by c_d
If you are using Outlook 2007 and have not installed the preview-filters, you might notice that the screen is not entirely blank; but says in *tiny* letters that "The preview plugin is not installed" and shows a white screen. I usually have to double-click the attached HTML and open it in a browser. It's a little annoying.

In Thunderbird, it is vital to have specifically flagged the DL email address as *safe*. If you dont it might block the content of the "body.html" file attached, which contains all the actual text (itin) of the e-Mail.
I receive DL emails on 3 computers, one using Outlook 2003, one using Outlook 2007, and one using Outlook Express (I think that one has MS Office 2000 package), and have never had the itinerary attachment disappear.
Old May 26, 2010, 4:56 am

A workaround cluge

With Thunderbird, you can at least view the message by right clicking on it and selecting "Edit as New". Images may be missing by can also be retrieved by clicking on the little image marker.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.