Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Cutback in priority Medallion seating on JFK-LAX route

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2001, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold

I was checking out some fares on the JFK-LAX route for travel next year and noticed a drastic cutback in preferred Medallion seating in Y. On the 763's you will find that both exit rows, 20 & 21 are now blocked out (we used to be able to book one of them), and rows 24 & 25 are the only preferred seats that are indicated for Medallions on every flight that I checked. I went out as far as April and found this to be true on every search. The rest of Y is available to anyone on the seat map selector.

What possibly be the reason for DL holding back so may preferred seats?

The good news is that DL42 & DL45 are back on the schedule.

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">"There are only two reasons to sit in the back row of an airplane:
Either you have diarrhea, or you're anxious to meet people who do."

Henry Kissinger</font>

[This message has been edited by Rssrsvp (edited 12-17-2001).]
Old Dec 17, 2001, 11:01 am

Rows 20-21 have been blacked out for a few years IIRC--not to say you couldn't get one. Curious about 22 & 23 however. Doesn't really make a difference as you will definitely get upgraded--even as FO--and if you're really scared, you can bate and switch them by using a NAMU and then switching at your window. I guess if you have companion issues this could be a problem.

Glad to hear about 42 and 45, though my preference would have been for 158 (redeye) and 45. I've always found 42 (1pm dep frm LAX, 9pm arr) to be at a useless time.
Old Dec 17, 2001, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by the scribbler:
Rows 20-21 have been blacked out for a few years IIRC--not to say you couldn't get one. Curious about 22 & 23 however. Doesn't really make a difference as you will definitely get upgraded--even as FO--and if you're really scared, you can bate and switch them by using a NAMU and then switching at your window. I guess if you have companion issues this could be a problem.

Glad to hear about 42 and 45, though my preference would have been for 158 (redeye) and 45. I've always found 42 (1pm dep frm LAX, 9pm arr) to be at a useless time.
</font>
I have always been able to get row 20 in the past. DL42 wil now be a 12:30 PM departure from LAX. I personally love that flight as I get to sleep late on Sunday after a long "party" weekend in LA, I hate redeyes.

[This message has been edited by Rssrsvp (edited 12-17-2001).]
Old Dec 17, 2001, 4:23 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rssrsvp:
I have always been able to get row 20 in the past. DL42 wil now be a 12:30 PM departure from LAX. I personally love that flight as I get to sleep late on Sunday after a long "party" weekend in LA, I hate redeyes.
\\
</font>
Huh. Rows 20 and 21 have always been blocked from every flight I've seen. It takes special intervention to have those seats unblocked before the day of flight.
Old Dec 17, 2001, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by HRGM:
Huh. Rows 20 and 21 have always been blocked from every flight I've seen. It takes special intervention to have those seats unblocked before the day of flight.</font>
I'm not crazy, at least twice in the last 2 years, I remember booking the exit row online on the JFK-LAX route. Both times I used my segments to upgrade at the 72 hour window, so I didn't get to use them.
Old Dec 17, 2001, 9:34 pm

Personally, I like to have a late Sunday brunch (the Ivy anyone?) to take the sting off of the "party" weekend--which rules DL 42 out in terms of Sundays. The rest of the week 42 is too early to have a fully productive morning in Los Angeles and too late to do any business in New York. Who's actually taking this flight? No one's going to Europe--except maybe on the 10pm AF to CDG. I think DL would be far better served with a 4pm departure out of LAX. It would certainly allow for brunch...

While I do not like the redeye either, it is extremely useful for cheating time, not to mention a life saver when you have a cheap LAX-JFK rt and realize you need to spend the whole outbound day of departure in LA--&gt;you could stand by for 158 without having to pay an extra dime and sit up front.
Old Dec 18, 2001, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by the scribbler:
Personally, I like to have a late Sunday brunch (the Ivy anyone?) to take the sting off of the "party" weekend--which rules DL 42 out in terms of Sundays. The rest of the week 42 is too early to have a fully productive morning in Los Angeles and too late to do any business in New York. Who's actually taking this flight? No one's going to Europe--except maybe on the 10pm AF to CDG. I think DL would be far better served with a 4pm departure out of LAX. It would certainly allow for brunch...
</font>
I would love a 4 PM departure, however DL never had enough of a load to support the 4 flights a day that were on the schedule before 9/11.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.