Medical Emergency, Cancellation?

Subscribe
I was set to travel to n DL to Florida until the person I am traveling with got sick. The flights aren't for another 3 weeks but, my friend won't be able to travel for 6 weeks due to surgery. DL special member services told me that DL must charge the change fee, regardless othe emergency. What is your experience? Do they waive the change fee when rebooking?
Thanks,
SR
Quote: I was set to travel to n DL to Florida until the person I am traveling with got sick. The flights aren't for another 3 weeks but, my friend won't be able to travel for 6 weeks due to surgery. DL special member services told me that DL must charge the change fee, regardless othe emergency. What is your experience? Do they waive the change fee when rebooking?
Thanks,
SR
It has been a while since I went through this, but the way I remember it is that the person who is sick must produce a letter from a physician stating that the passenger is not able to fly until such and such a date. Then you go from there about fees and the like. In my limited experience, I don't know how the policy would apply to you as the friend.
I do not know if they always charge such a fee in these cases. The first thing you might do is call again and try for another agent: Different agents sometimes means different answers. A few years ago I had to cancel an overseas flight because a non-traveling family member was ill. Delta was quite gracious and refunded everything (a doctor's note was required). So you might see about canceling the flight and just rebooking altogether.
There is always a change fee now. No such thing as Medical Emergency waiver........
NWA used to be very lenient about changes, particularly out of RST. No longer. They now charge a change fee.
Quote: NWA used to be very lenient about changes, particularly out of RST. No longer. They now charge a change fee.
As well they should. Insurance is available for a reason (as are refundable tickets)
Quote: As well they should. Insurance is available for a reason (as are refundable tickets)
It is sometimes cheaper to pay the change fee as opposed to buying a refundable ticket. At least, that is my experience.
Quote: It is sometimes cheaper to pay the change fee as opposed to buying a refundable ticket. At least, that is my experience.
And sometimes the insurance, as well. I haven't had to change a ticket on DL for sometime, but did I read that they had dropped the fee to $50?