DL Silver, so close yet so far, plz help...

Old Feb 18, 2005, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: PC Amb., BA Blue
DL Silver, so close yet so far, plz help...

Just been calculating if I will make DL Silver this year, should I opt to credit miles with DL on my CO & Alitalia flights (may as well join DL thnx to the Dash to the Gate, & bad reviews of Nonepass).

But I'm 'heart-broken' now & worried I won't be able to convince effectively the missus to go with me on the 2nd Bombay run, as my calculations put me just 118 MQM's short- can anyone verify this, & advise if anything can do without having to splash out on another qualifying ticket? Many thanks.

MAN-EWR-ATL-EWR-MAN (W) - 8,220miles, 4,110mqm
BOM-MXP-LHR (BIZ UNRESTRICTED) - 4,616 Miles, 6,924mqm
LHR-MXP-BOM (BIZ UNR.) - 4,616 Miles, 6,924mqm
BOM-MXP-LHR (BIZ UNR.) -4,616 Miles, 6,924 mqm

total - 22,068 miles, 24,882 mqm's

p.s. I guess if I went with onepass, I'd get an extra 4,110 qualifying miles, thus putting me onto their silver level? would rather go with Delta though as have 10k each to start with, & understand it to be more rewarding?

Last edited by tristan727; Feb 18, 2005 at 9:36 am
Old Feb 18, 2005, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Frankly, if this year's schedule is typical for you, I don't think you should concern yourself with status at all.

Let's take a look at what Silver Medallion would give you:

MAN-EWR-ATL-EWR-MAN (W)

Yes, on this one trip having Silver would give you a chance of getting upgraded EWR-ATL and ATL-EWR. If would also give you the opportunity to use the Business Class check in line.

BOM-MXP-LHR (BIZ UNRESTRICTED)
LHR-MXP-BOM (BIZ UNR.)
BOM-MXP-LHR (BIZ UNR.)

Silver Medallion won't help you here at all. You are already in Biz, so you can use the Biz Check In. You will be flying international so you can use the lounges (Silver wouldn't give you that anyway -- only Platinum would). Obviously, you can't get upgraded -- you are already in front of the cabin.

total - 22,068 miles, 24,882 mqm's

Silver won't give you any additional MQM's and only 5517 extra miles. This is not really enough to get excited about.

Go for the best prices you can get -- no matter what the airline -- and forget about status.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 10:11 am
Original Poster

is very much an untypical schedule for me - I am a man of modest means who is doing the CO run for a honeymoon, and the Bombay one for Ł3+ tax each (see mileage run).

What would be a great bonus therefore is to have status the next time a price error came up, or needed to use one of the skyteam airlines again (as none of them are british I think the price error is more likely). Especially if said price error was only in economy.

& if the price error was with a non- Skyteam airline I could always try to get comped, providing I had Silver to offer. Doesn't bother me where the pricing error originates from, so long as my BA miles(from shopping & hotels) can get me there!
Old Feb 18, 2005, 11:01 am

Programs: Delta BIS DM
Get the Delta SkyMiles Platinum card -- it comes with 5,000 MQM's on your first purchase. Then you can book these tickets on that card and get even more miles. =)
Old Feb 18, 2005, 11:49 am

Programs: Skyteam Elite, Starwood Gold, Kmart ShopYourWay Rewards
you'll probably take one more DL trip sometime in the next year, right?
Old Feb 18, 2005, 12:11 pm

Programs: Delta MM
Seeing as how you haven't spent the money yet, it is hard to believe that anyone with business savvy at Delta wouldn't commit to giving you silver if you go ahead book those trips. The problem is finding the person with the authority and the good sense to go ahead and make that decision. I would try sending an email and asking. I'm not sure it will reach anyone who would help, but it certainly doesn't hurt to ask.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 3:09 pm

Programs: Skymiles FO
Might be in a similar situation...

I'm flying 12,500 domestic miles, all in LUT in the next 35 days. I'm sure I'll be flying DL again during the year, but status would be nice right about now. I've never been elite on any airline -- and from what I can tell, there's no challenge without evidence of elite somewhere else.
Oh well, maybe I'll make it this year the old-fashioned way.
Old Feb 19, 2005, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by John C
Seeing as how you haven't spent the money yet, it is hard to believe that anyone with business savvy at Delta wouldn't commit to giving you silver if you go ahead book those trips. The problem is finding the person with the authority and the good sense to go ahead and make that decision. I would try sending an email and asking. I'm not sure it will reach anyone who would help, but it certainly doesn't hurt to ask.
Hah! I'm still waiting for a reply to my email re:account sign-up bonus & update of, for about 3k in miles, which I opened around the time of Dash to the Gate, not partic. impressed so far, even an automated reply would suffice.
Old Feb 19, 2005, 8:08 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by neatbrian
Get the Delta SkyMiles Platinum card
He can't - being UK-based. A cheap ticket on KL to AMS or AZ to MXP/LIN/FCO would push him over the threshold, if he's intent on it.
Old Feb 19, 2005, 8:49 am

Programs: DL DM
Tristan, how are you getting to Bombay for the first time?

Seems to me that you have to get there. Why not make at least some part of that an AZ, AF or OK flight?
Old Feb 19, 2005, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

remy's (very valid) point aside...

...you can get the extra 118 MQMs by adding FCO to your BOM-LHR routing that 'd become BOM-FCO-MXP-LHR (assuming AZ do fly BOM-FCO).
Old Feb 20, 2005, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by remyontheroad
Tristan, how are you getting to Bombay for the first time? Seems to me that you have to get there. Why not make at least some part of that an AZ, AF or OK flight?
by miles with BA, u can redeem 1-way for half the cost with them, unlike rivals or cash fares which seem to only offer cheapies if return.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 7:01 am

Programs: DL DM
There is an advance purchase AF fare of $100 all-in for LON-PAR if you stay saturday night.

These days that's what, 55 quid?

That'll put you over and give you a chance to shop for wine or bonbons for the missus too.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 9:46 pm

Programs: Skyteam/Delta Silver Medallion, Starwood Gold Preferred
Speaking of elite status, when do we get 2005 card and whole package? I see on the NW, CO, and UA forums they already got theirs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.