Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta applies for Atlanta-Moscow (ATL-SVO) Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta applies for Atlanta-Moscow (ATL-SVO) Service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2005, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by jerry crump
When Dl applied for service to china recently the un-official delta helper asked us to send comments supporting the request, but not on this route. Is this route easier to get approval for?
The way I understand it, yes. I think there are a set number of weekly flights each way for both. Many more airlines what the very few china authorities that exist, with the russian ones, there are many to go around and no big demand.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL FC, NW
One less flight - great news!
Old Jan 16, 2005, 6:21 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dspringer28
The way I understand it, yes. I think there are a set number of weekly flights each way for both. Many more airlines what the very few china authorities that exist, with the russian ones, there are many to go around and no big demand.
Correct - this should be a relatively easy route to get approval for. I don't think any other US carrier serves SVO now. UA used to, but not any more. DL operates PA's old route. Aeroflot serves a few US cities from SVO, but I think they (the Russians) will generally be interested in more service.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by graraps
Do you actually enjoy driving across Poland's pothole-ridden roads alongside all the Maluchs (FIAT 126 by FSM) ?
Nope. I don't. But the drive PRG to KRK is not that bad now, it's a divided highway (toll) in Czech Rep. then the mountain passage (which can be tricky I admit), then a toll highway again. I'd say its about 30 miles of potholes tops (equally so on the Czech and Polish side).

Oh, and no traffic jams
Old Jan 16, 2005, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miro
Nope. I don't. But the drive PRG to KRK is not that bad now, it's a divided highway (toll) in Czech Rep. then the mountain passage (which can be tricky I admit), then a toll highway again. I'd say its about 30 miles of potholes tops (equally so on the Czech and Polish side).

Oh, and no traffic jams
Sounds decent enough!
Still, I'd rather be sitting at the back (business class!) of the CSA ATR42 trying to figure out how many Pilsner Urquells I can down during a flight that lasts 45 mins.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 8:19 pm

delta to PRG

Originally Posted by elpi
When DL will start service to PRG?
Dealta flew to PRG, many years ago, it was a on a 767. This is about 10- years ago or so. Don't quote me on that, but I was on the flight. It went va Stuggart, Germany. the stopover in STG (is that the aiprot code for Stuggart?/) & you were stuck on the plane for an hour on the tarmac, !!! No getting off for a smoke o0r drink or stretch the legs, after that only about an hour to Prague. Since they code-share with OK (Czech Airlines) why would they fly their own metal???
Old Jan 16, 2005, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
DL inherited quite a route network from Pan Am, including Budapest, Bucharest, Prague, Warsaw, Berlin, and St. Petersburg as well as Moscow. Plus a hub in Frankfurt. I used to fly Pan Am during the divided Germany days from Stuttgart to Berlin. Lufthansa was not permitted to fly to and from Tegel, IIRC, for the four primary West German cities: Hamburg, Frankfurt, Stuttgart, and Munich. Only Air France, British Airways, and Pan Am.

I don't know why PA was able to make a go of all of these cities, and Delta was not able to. Many of these countries' national carriers now provide nonstop service from JFK. It would be nice to be able to do it nonstop on Delta, where most of my Western European flights happen.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by miro
I don't care whether it's DL or OK, I just wish there would be such a flight. It'd be soooo convenient. I often fly to KRK, which is in driving distance from PRG (250 miles?). It would mean no connections for me Of course, it'd be better if LO replaced their KRK-ORD with KRK-ATL and stepped out of *A and joined ST. Now I am dreaming
LOT is totally committed to Star Alliance, unfortunately. Now that Lufthansa controls their loyalty scheme, I don't see any possibility of a joining of LOT and SkyTeam.

Czech Airlines might make ATL-PRG happen, however.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fastflyer
Wouldn't hold my breath. OK seem to be more interested in CIS and the Middle East, leaving westbound routes to AF and (to a lesser extent) AM.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 8:30 am

Programs: UA
LOT is totally committed to Star Alliance, unfortunately.
I know. I said I was dreaming.

Yeah, that's the only link missing. DL has ATL flights to MXP, FCO, CDG, MEX and ICN (not to mention MSP, DTW, EWR and IAH of course). Now they apply for ATL-SVO, supposedly in anticipation of SU joining ST. PRG is the only missing link in the alliance.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 9:47 am

Deleted

Last edited by vinnmann; Aug 9, 2007 at 8:55 am
Old Jan 17, 2005, 5:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
What about the rest of the year?

"The service will operate on a daily between June and September, and four times weekly from October through April"

What will they do in May, not fly at all?
Old Jan 17, 2005, 6:50 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Joe Flyer
What will they do in May, not fly at all?
That scenario May not fly with many passengers...
Old Jan 17, 2005, 7:40 pm

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
How long?

Any idea how long getting an ok on this would be? I'm prepping 3 ministry teams to head over from Atlanta this summer and would love to have them on this new route. Plans for starting it in June would mean, what, approval by March or so? Any idea how quickly, or not, these things move?
Old Jan 18, 2005, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by woody125
Any idea how long getting an ok on this would be? I'm prepping 3 ministry teams to head over from Atlanta this summer and would love to have them on this new route. Plans for starting it in June would mean, what, approval by March or so? Any idea how quickly, or not, these things move?
Assuming no other carriers contest (I don't expect any will), this decision should be approved pretty fast (about a month). DL will want a bare minimum of 90 days to market this flight, so if all goes well it should be in the reservations system by no later than March 1 (and probably sooner than that).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.