Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

DL bans noise cancelling headphones under 10,000 feet

DL bans noise cancelling headphones under 10,000 feet

Old Nov 27, 2004, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by AIRcop
Is there any scientific evidence or emperical credible data that really shows that any electronic device 'may interefere' with the aircrafts instruments? Or, are all these rules to keep junk out of your hands and laps in case of an emergency? If its really the latter, why can't they just say this. If there isn't any former, for example, why lie?
Of course things like cell phones can interfere with aircraft instruments. Lay your cell phone on top of your television and watch what happens (it's unlikely, but don't blame me if it toasts it). So, don't lay your cell phone on the compass or GPS receiver of the airplane you are flying on. Doesn't seem to cause much problem if it is more than a few feet from the electronics.

Once, I was flying Harbor Airlines and we were flying SEA-FRD (do you know that airport code, Cholula?) and some guy was talking on his phone and telling the other party that he had to go because we were leaving. The pilot told him to just keep talking and he did until about 10 minutes into the flight.
Old Nov 27, 2004, 2:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by indufan
Lay your cell phone on top of your television and watch what happens.
I just turned my cell phone on and set it on the TV. Nothing happened. How long do I have to wait for the fireworks??

Once, I was flying Harbor Airlines and we were flying SEA-FRD (do you know that airport code, Cholula?)
I'm guessing this is Friday Harbor, WA. Never been there but I remember reading a trip report on FT where someone mentioned traveling up there.
When do I get my prize..... ?
Old Nov 27, 2004, 2:18 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
My wife and I both use Bose noise cancelling headphones, but hardly see this as a big deal. You already couldn't use them (or anything else) on taxi, take-off and landing. How much time does a plane spend under 10,000 feet the rest of the time? I don't know exactly, but it isn't enough to get bent out of shape over.
Old Nov 27, 2004, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cholula
I just turned my cell phone on and set it on the TV. Nothing happened. How long do I have to wait for the fireworks??
Well, it will likely cause a lot more problems if it actually rings. But eventually, during it's normal polling process, it will transmit. However, in this day and age, if you have a strong signal, it won't transmit that strong (to save battery life) but if the signal is weak (like it would be on an airplane) it will pump up the power.

Originally Posted by Cholula
I'm guessing this is Friday Harbor, WA. Never been there but I remember reading a trip report on FT where someone mentioned traveling up there.
When do I get my prize..... ?
Ding, Ding, Ding. It is Friday Harbor, WA. Let's see, as a prize I have a coupon for a free bottle of Cholula Hot Sauce. Regular mail or Federal Express?
Old Nov 27, 2004, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by atl runner
My wife and I both use Bose noise cancelling headphones, but hardly see this as a big deal. You already couldn't use them (or anything else) on taxi, take-off and landing. How much time does a plane spend under 10,000 feet the rest of the time? I don't know exactly, but it isn't enough to get bent out of shape over.
Most (well, I thought all) flight attendants were allowing them during taxi, takeoff, and landing. The "landing" part is the part under 10,000 feet.

Can you still wear Delta headsets during this time? You could before.
Old Nov 27, 2004, 6:45 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by yknot
Soon you'll be turning off your headphones and everyone will still be using their cellphones. It's only a matter of time before they let passengers use them in flight.
The FCC has more problems with airborne cellphone use than the FAA.
Old Nov 27, 2004, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by NYBanker
The FCC has more problems with airborne cellphone use than the FAA.
It is kind of irrelevant. Once you are in the cruise all TDMA based system (GSM and AT&T style TDMA) will fail because of the handset velocity relative to the base station. The time division timing simply doesn't work any more. Other systems have different, though sometimes related problems. Light aircraft can use GSM like systems at lower flight velocities on networks where the timing is loosened in a similar manner to what is done to extend TDMA networks for maritime use. Now, if you fly the cell node with the aircraft any access layer will work.

I'm still waiting for the first exec who pays for First only to be seen stumbling down the aisle towards the tail mumbling "Can you hear me now?", whereupon they spend the entire 2000 miles in the rear galley. :-)
Old Nov 27, 2004, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Talking

Originally Posted by JS
Of course it's a stupid rule. What you need to do is figure out a way to conceal the headphones (some combination of hat and shirt collar, maybe?)

:
Maybe a turban or burka????????
Old Nov 27, 2004, 8:54 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by mikey1003
Maybe a turban or burka????????
Old Nov 29, 2004, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
this appears to another case of America's most dangerous four words.

"Better safe than sorry"

Gee, maybe we should all stay home. There is a danger of idiots doing something bad under 10,000 feet, yes?
Old Nov 29, 2004, 8:58 am

Location: Florida - Delta Charter DM/3.3MM; Lifetime SPG Plat; HH Gold;
Most (well, I thought all) flight attendants were allowing them during taxi, takeoff, and landing. The "landing" part is the part under 10,000 feet.

Can you still wear Delta headsets during this time? You could before.
Of course! They don't have an on/off switch!

BTW, how many people do you think DELIBERATELY don't turn off their cell phones, computers, PDA, beepers, etc. and just wait until electronic devices are allowed to be turned on?
Old Nov 29, 2004, 9:52 am

It's going to have to be a helluva hat to cover those Bose QCIIs.
They don't have to be removed from your head, just turned off. I have the old version with the little power box that I clip to my belt. The FAs have no way to tell if they are off or on. I just show them the plug/jack thing and nod my head.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 10:39 am

This is the text of the bulletin effective 11/15/04 (which all FAs are required to enforce):

There are a wide variety of noise reduction headphones available today ranging from simple non-electric "ear-muff" types to elaborate devices that fall under the category of personal electronic devices (PEDs). For this reason, our current policy on the use of noise reduction headphones will change from allowing "use at all times" to allowing "use once the aircraft has reached 10,000 feet". These devices may also be used when the boarding door is open and at the captain's discretion during an extended taxi delay. Passengers should be asked to remve and stow them during taxi, takeoff and landing.

Now everyone can rant, vent, and post all the s you want; I just wanted to let you know what FAs have to check for. And to point out that we aren't on a power trip and pulling these rules out of our a**es!
Old Nov 29, 2004, 11:20 am

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, DL DM since inception, 3+ MM, HH Gold, SPG-Gold
Programs: DL, UA, AA, HH, SPG, HH, Hertz, Avis
Originally Posted by FoPAA
I just wanted to let you know what FAs have to check for. And to point out that we aren't on a power trip and pulling these rules out of our a**es!
That may be FoPAA, but somebody else sure must be - and using you as the enforcers!!

As a matter of fact, as I suspect many of you must know the idiocy of, and lack of science behind, some of these rules you are asked to enforce, I wonder whether you feel like a Kansas school treacher forced to teach creationism in science class!!?? I guess that may account for the inconcistency in enforcement: if you truly believe, by golly make sure everybody adheres, if not, you let it pass!!
Old Nov 29, 2004, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RunawayNFly
Of course! They don't have an on/off switch!
But if the issue is that "you can't hear" because of the headphones, then that wouldn't work. Now we all know that if you are plugged into the Delta sound system, you will still hear all of the annoucements and we also know that if they are not plugged in then it couldn't possibly interfere with hearing. But the QCIIs don't interfere with hearing either.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.