Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Platinum Medallion International Checked Bag Allowance

Old Sep 19, 2009, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, Priority Club Platinum Elite

I just spoke to a delta phone agent who told me the free allowance for Platinum medallions is 3 bags up to 70lbs each. I know this used to be the policy back before they started adding the insane baggage fees, can any FT'ers confirm that it is still 3 free up to 70lbs each. The CSR at Delta I spoke with didn't seem certain, and I don't want any surprises when I arrive at the airport tonight.

In a perfect world I would NEVER check any bag onto ANY airline, but sometimes it's unavoidable and this is one of those times...
Old Sep 19, 2009, 9:42 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PE
I was told last week on my INTL flight that it was 2 bag, 70lbs each. I was surprised at the 70lb remark. But they knew about it even in Europe at the outstation.

And to think of all the time I wasted trying to keep my two bags under 22kg each....
Old Sep 19, 2009, 9:43 am
Original Poster

This is my concern, as per usual Delta not knowing their own policies. Can anyone confirm 2 or 3?
Old Sep 19, 2009, 9:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
In practice it is now 2 bags up to 70lbs for Platinums in coach. First/Business Class passengers are still allowed to check up to three bags up to 70 lbs. but that is only guaranteed for DL's own flights.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 9:56 am
Original Member

Programs: SPG Platinum Premier-
My experience has been that if you have a domestic segment on an international ticket that has been upgraded you can check three bags.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 10:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fabsco
My experience has been that if you have a domestic segment on an international ticket that has been upgraded you can check three bags.
A Platinum booked in first/business on international flights operated by DL get up to 3 free bags of up to 70 pounds. Platinums on a coach-only itinerary only get 2 free bags of up to 70 pounds.

It used to be that Platinums got 3 free bags of up to 70lbs regardless of class of travel or destination, but DL cut that benefit too.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
A Platinum booked in first/business on international flights operated by DL get up to 3 free bags of up to 70 pounds. Platinums on a coach-only itinerary only get 2 free bags of up to 70 pounds.

It used to be that Platinums got 3 free bags of up to 70lbs regardless of class of travel or destination, but DL cut that benefit too.
I know it should not amaze me that FT'ers know more about Delta's policies than their own employees at their so-called special member service desk, but it still does! I am SURE that the 'ol "they told me 3 bags on the phone" routine won't fly at the airport either.

Thanks for the clarification everyone.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 4:33 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.8MM, IHG Spire Elite
In practice it is now 2 bags up to 70lbs for Platinums in coach. First/Business Class passengers are still allowed to check up to three bags up to 70 lbs. but that is only guaranteed for DL's own flights.
I just checked delta.com wrt the weight limits, it says two free up to 50 lbs.

"Each bag must:

Weigh 50 pounds (23 kg) or less.
Not exceed 62 inches (157 cm) when you total length + width + height".
Old Sep 19, 2009, 4:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DeltaFirst

"Each bag must:

Here:

Originally Posted by delta.com

Will our Medallion members continue to be able to check an additional bag with no additional charge?

Medallion members traveling in the economy cabin will be permitted two bags free of charge up to 70 lbs. for each bag. All passengers traveling in First/Business Class cabin will still be allowed to check up to three bags up to 70 lbs. at no additional charge on Delta and Delta Connection-operated flights only.
http://www.delta.com/help/faqs/bagga....jsp#medallion
Old Sep 19, 2009, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
So on a slightly different bag topic. I do an international trip yearly and want to check a fishing rod case that is 6 feet. Do I pay an extra charge as it clearly does not meet the size requirements, but is far under the weight. thanks in advance
Old Sep 19, 2009, 5:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AS MVPG
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dollerman73
I just spoke to a delta phone agent who told me the free allowance for Platinum medallions is 3 bags up to 70lbs each. I know this used to be the policy back before they started adding the insane baggage fees, can any FT'ers confirm that it is still 3 free up to 70lbs each. The CSR at Delta I spoke with didn't seem certain, and I don't want any surprises when I arrive at the airport tonight.

In a perfect world I would NEVER check any bag onto ANY airline, but sometimes it's unavoidable and this is one of those times...

Did you said tonight? What you can do is: try to check in at home. It will show how many bags you are allow to check in.

The website said 50lbs but the FAQs page show 70lbs. I was confused when I looked at that previously last month for my international travel (08/27 MAD-JFK). My bag was more than 50lbs, and the GA informed me that it's overweight. All I have to tell her is that "Elite travel on international flight allow 2 baggages at 70lbs." A couple clicks and I was on my way (probably look up my status).

So try and check in, it should how many bags you're allowed.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaFirst

"Each bag must:

http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...ance/index.jsp

If you have a confirmed Business Seat chart says 3 bags up to 70lbs
Otherwise 2 bags a 50lbs.
Plats/Gold/Silver do not pay for 2nd bags
Chart does not say Coach Elites get a 3rd bag or 70lbs

But DL Q&A page says the following
http://www.delta.com/help/faqs/baggage/index.jsp#elite

Will our Medallion members continue to be able to check an additional bag with no additional charge?
Medallion members traveling in the economy cabin will be permitted two bags free of charge up to 70 lbs. for each bag. All passengers traveling in First/Business Class cabin will still be allowed to check up to three bags up to 70 lbs. at no additional charge on Delta and Delta Connection-operated flights only.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 6:50 pm

Beware of heavy bags. Our problem is not the international flight, but flights within Europe after we arrive. We check all connections and pack for the most restrictive.

Comming nack from London with a non-elite friend who had one bag over by 3 pounds and one under by almost 10. They delayed the whole line and made him shift weight to the lighter bag.

Returning from Africa they weighed all my bags together and let the heavy one through. Never can tell what you'll come up against.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by mshaikun
Beware of heavy bags. Our problem is not the international flight, but flights within Europe after we arrive. We check all connections and pack for the most restrictive.

Comming nack from London with a non-elite friend who had one bag over by 3 pounds and one under by almost 10. They delayed the whole line and made him shift weight to the lighter bag.

Returning from Africa they weighed all my bags together and let the heavy one through. Never can tell what you'll come up against.
Exactly right, that's been my experience as well.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 9:10 pm

Thanks for the clarification. The website guidance is insane, no wonder people are confused.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.