Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Ben & Jerry's on-board SLC-MCO for $2, even in F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond

I'm not a regular DL flyer, but have been doing some MRs on NW and DL given all the promos. A week or so ago we were on SLC-MCO in F on the evening flight. The purser announced that they would be selling Ben & Jerry's ice cream cups for $2. I'll eat ice cream anytime, anywhere, particularly at 35,000 ft, and got rather excited! So we had a great dinner, actually hot food which is hard to come by on DL these days, and I looked forward to dessert.

Then I discovered that when they say $2, they mean $2 -- even in First class! That's right -- they were charging $2 for ice cream even to the first class pax! I asked the purser about this and he said it is catered by a different company so they have to charge for it. As a customer, why should I care who is catering it? Yes, I was on an EUA upgrade, but what if I was in paid F? How pathetic.

Later I began to wonder -- is this normal? Or did the FA's just go out and buy some ice cream cups at Costco and then hawk them on the plane? FWIW, they had 2 flavors -- vanilla and cherry garcia.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:26 pm

Programs: DL PM / MM, Nat'l EE
I beleive this falls under the same issue of the EATS menu which has been discussed a few times. If I remember correctly, the FA's must account for all items..... so if they give it to you for free, they have to come up with $2 or bear the consequences of the inventory not adding up.

But, I also think they should be able to mark off some of these items to the F pax if they would like. I know most up front are comp upgrades, but if I had paid for the seat, I would hope I could get that ice cream for free.....
Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:46 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I would not be amused
Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:15 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Funny you posted this today. I had the same experience today ATL-LAX in F. An announcement was made about the ice cream and when I asked for a cup, I gave a puzzled look when I was asked for $2.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:26 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by DLATL777
Funny you posted this today. I had the same experience today ATL-LAX in F. An announcement was made about the ice cream and when I asked for a cup, I gave a puzzled look when I was asked for $2.
I consider this insulting
Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:40 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by obscure2k
I consider this insulting
I tend to agree with you. I expect this when I ask for something from the EATS menu, but was very surprised today. It wouldn't be so hard to include a cup on the tray with the Lunch, Dinner, etc.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 11:41 pm

Programs: DL DM (Now Gold...)
I was in paid F ATL-SEA this afternoon and paid $2 for Ben and Jerry's. I was glad to have the option, but yea, it does seem a little strange it's not free in first.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 7:59 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Lifetime Plat, IHG SE
While I agree it seems strange to have to pay, I'd rather pay 2 bucks if I wanted ice cream than the money DL charges for drinks in the back!
Old Sep 7, 2009, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
United used to (maybe still does) have ice cream sundae's in F on trans-cons. They were incredibly popular. I honestly wanted to believe that DL was making a push toward improving their domestic F experience by adding ice cream! Wrong. Simply put, domestic F on DL doesn't hold a candle to UA. No warm nuts, no clolth napkins, and here's the kicker -- 1 FA for the First class cabin on DL. What a joke.

Thanks for the comments guys. I believe I'll write a letter.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 8:00 am

Two of us flew PAID first last week atl, sfo. There was a cold meal both ways and not enough for choices after the first three rows. Since they are now rotating service sitting in front is not a lock on first choice. Charging $2 for the ice cream was adding insult to injury. I really don't see any reason to pay for first in the future. I will book early into the exit row, save $700 on each ticket and pony up $2 for the ice cream. I hope Delta is pleased with the choice they have helped me make.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mcjava
While I agree it seems strange to have to pay, I'd rather pay 2 bucks if I wanted ice cream than the money DL charges for drinks in the back!
I pointed out to the purser that they give free drinks up front. I don't drink alcohol, and given that the flight was SLC-MCO, I certainly wasn't alone! (kids!!!!) I would have to believe that an ice cream cup costs way less than booze. Yet you can basically drink as much as you want, but I can't have a free cup of ice cream?
Old Sep 7, 2009, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sharon2975
Two of us flew PAID first last week atl, sfo. There was a cold meal both ways and not enough for choices after the first three rows. Since they are now rotating service sitting in front is not a lock on first choice. Charging $2 for the ice cream was adding insult to injury. I really don't see any reason to pay for first in the future. I will book early into the exit row, save $700 on each ticket and pony up $2 for the ice cream. I hope Delta is pleased with the choice they have helped me make.
If you are going to pay for F on ATL-SFO, why not give United a try? If you can live without IFE and wifi, I rate pretty much the entire experience as better. (Not sure about the cost.)
Old Sep 7, 2009, 8:20 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Lifetime Plat, IHG SE
Originally Posted by hobo13
I pointed out to the purser that they give free drinks up front. I don't drink alcohol, and given that the flight was SLC-MCO, I certainly wasn't alone! (kids!!!!) I would have to believe that an ice cream cup costs way less than booze. Yet you can basically drink as much as you want, but I can't have a free cup of ice cream?
You have a very good point, and perhaps my comment is somewhat selfish... I'd rather have unlimited free drinks than free ice cream, but it does seem ridiculous that they are willing to let a FC customer drink down $20 to $30 worth of alcohol yet charge non-drinkers $2 for an ice cream.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 8:28 am

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by Discplayer
I was in paid F ATL-SEA this afternoon and paid $2 for Ben and Jerry's. I was glad to have the option, but yea, it does seem a little strange it's not free in first.
I wonder if they would take those drink coupons we got with our packets?
Old Sep 7, 2009, 8:29 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by hobo13
Ditto - I'm in the same boat as you. I don't drink and I find it insulting to have to Buy on Board when in First, especially on paid F tickets (er, -UP tickets sold as discounted first).

On "short" flights with no meal service (which can easily be a 2~ hr flight .. or two flights of similar duration with a connection), I often find myself paying for the trail mix up front .. or something more substantial to munch on.

The "snack basket" just doesn't do the trick.

P.S. I should add, many FA's feel bad and are apologetic about it - some even appear uncomfortable or embarrassed - about asking for the money in F (you can tell from the body language/tone of voice). I presume they can tell if you're an upgrade or an "F" passenger from looking at the manifest. When I tell them not to worry about it - or crack a joke about it being a service enhancement, they then tend smile and/or become at ease.

Last edited by SDF_Traveler; Sep 7, 2009 at 8:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.