Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL to Expand at LGA, but Reduce at DCA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2009, 12:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by El Boocho
Sounds like DCA upgrades just got a lot harder. This is a significant cut for the Washington based Delta flyer.
This will all depend on the equipment used for the reduced slot numbers.

If it continues to be an MD-88 operation, or A320 operation, or RJ operation, then it does make upgrade competition more difficult.

However, if the reduced slot numbers result in the greater usage of larger planes, e.g., the 757, into DCA, then it makes the upgrade chances somewhat better.

I think 55 slots is enough to work with at DCA, given that it is purely and O&D market and given that Delta can vary the equipment guage to make up for much of the capacity lost in the slot reductions.

I have always been a fan of fewer frequencies on larger equipment, anyway.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 12:31 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Platinum
Originally Posted by jjglaze77
Here's a though (perhaps mentioned): I've been reading various articles about the whole thing and I wonder if this is not part of a grand scheme to rebuild the terminal at JFK. In every article I've read, US regards their operation at LGA as "a money-losing turboprop operation." Yet, DL is going to be operating to almost all of the same cities with RJs, typically higher CASM aircraft. I wonder if we will not see a dramatic reduction at JFK in order to facilitate an expedited reconstruction. Move most destinations that do not have much international O&D to LGA and move some frequencies to larger markets that don't connect well to the international banks at JFK to LGA. I don't know specifics, but if they were able to move enough flights out of JFK, perhaps they could consolidate JFK ops into T3 & T4, rebuilt T2, move ops to T2, rebuilt T3.

I feel like they (DL) are giving up too much in this scenario unless there is some master plan that has not been revealed. In all likelihood, DCA will not have a perimeter rule in the next year or two (congress controls this). LGA, on the other hand, will likely still be restricted longer than DCA (PANYNJ controls this).

Thoughts?
Does the Perimeter Rule matter much at DCA? I didn't think the runways at DCA were long enough for large aircraft on longer routes.

To all you Delta folks coming to US, welcome to the only all coach E170/175’s flown by an airline with first class. These planes truly suck if you get on late with a full plane, since there isn’t enough bin space when you pack the maximum seats on these planes like US does.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Here's a though (perhaps mentioned): I've been reading various articles about the whole thing and I wonder if this is not part of a grand scheme to rebuild the terminal at JFK. In every article I've read, US regards their operation at LGA as "a money-losing turboprop operation." Yet, DL is going to be operating to almost all of the same cities with RJs, typically higher CASM aircraft. I wonder if we will not see a dramatic reduction at JFK in order to facilitate an expedited reconstruction. Move most destinations that do not have much international O&D to LGA and move some frequencies to larger markets that don't connect well to the international banks at JFK to LGA. I don't know specifics, but if they were able to move enough flights out of JFK, perhaps they could consolidate JFK ops into T3 & T4, rebuilt T2, move ops to T2, rebuilt T3.
I don't believe you will see dramatic reductions at JFK especially since JFK is now slot-constrained as well (during peak times). DL has the largest slot portfolio at JFK (approx 200 flights per day) - quite a bit more than AA and slightly more than B6 - and they are not going to give those up. DL was lucky (and smart) that they made the big JFK expansion a few years ago and basically made a big land grab (of slots) before the slot restrictions went into place. Now, there is little room to grow at JFK for carriers outside of off-peak hours, and AA is saddled with the highest cost (spanking new) terminal at JFK with no meaningful way to grow and increase revenues to "pay" for the terminal. The last thing DL wants to do is give up slots there that would allow B6 or AA an "in"...

IMO, the LGA expansion is another step in their attempts to be a competitive New York airline. Basically, they are trying to be the "go-to" airline for New Yorkers - with around 470 daily flights out of LGA and JFK, they are trying to not give New Yorkers and corporate clients any reason to switch airlines because of an insufficient network. With this expansion, they will have increased their NYC footprint even more and will be more than competitive with CO (arguably the top dog right now for the NY area) for the O&D NYC market.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, AF Plat, VS Gold, Hyatt Glob, Sixt Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by ClueByFour
Depends on where DL flies the shuttle from in their new terminal complex. If the use the current US shuttle gates, it's very possible to checkin and roll inside of 15 minutes.

That really depends on how DL chooses to configure security in what's now the US terminal. US has so severely underutilized the space that with the two security checkpoints, I've never waited more than 10 minutes (and that was right after 9/11--I'm mostly thru in about 3 minutes). DL may actually use the non-shuttle space effectively and with mainline aircraft, which might change things somewhat.
I agree with ClueByFour. Last week I missed the last US nonstop of the day LGA-MHT, arrived at the ticket counter literally 30 minutes before the last possible connecting flight, was rebooked, given exit row seats and made it through security in time to buy a sandwich before boarding LGA-PHL-MHT. Although I do have to say, the calm and exclusivity of MAT has always been a really nice change of pace from the rest of LGA.....
Old Aug 12, 2009, 12:39 pm

Programs: AS Gold/SPG Gold/Hertz PC

Originally Posted by ECOTONE
this is hilarious because our travel office just changed official carriers from UA/US to DL.

Originally Posted by AngryPrez
Wondering whether my decision to move our corporate travel from US to Delta this year was a huge mistake.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
IMO, the LGA expansion is another step in their attempts to be a competitive New York airline. Basically, they are trying to be the "go-to" airline for New Yorkers - with around 470 daily flights out of LGA and JFK, they are trying to not give New Yorkers and corporate clients any reason to switch airlines because of an insufficient network. With this expansion, they will have increased their NYC footprint even more and will be more than competitive with CO (arguably the top dog right now for the NY area) for the O&D NYC market.
Delta's advertising corresponds to this...every subway car and bus stop in NYC seems to have a Delta banner ad on it!
Old Aug 12, 2009, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
Delta's advertising corresponds to this...every subway car and bus stop in NYC seems to have a Delta banner ad on it!
Indeed...I was on the LIRR the other day on my way to JFK and I was surrounded by Delta ads - on my left, right, and behind me - one for the new NRT nonstop, one for Brazil, one for LHR....

I feel like they (DL) are giving up too much in this scenario !
Well, they're not giving up any flights in GRU (yes, DL gets a new competitor with a flight from CLT that could eat into some of te ATL feed, but would also eat into UA's IAD feed). And as for NRT, US doesn't even plan to start the service until 2012, and it remains to be seen whether they can make it work from PHX. Basically, US doesn't have very good hubs to launch TPAC service - the only decent one may be PHL but they don't really have the aircraft capable of operating such a long route)
Old Aug 12, 2009, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
DL's (lack of) commitment to South America is something to watch out.

Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
Given the drop in ad rates, DL picked about as good a time as any to go on a major marketing blitz. Who knows what kind of results it can or cannot deliver in an environment like this still.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by veliger
Does the Perimeter Rule matter much at DCA? I didn't think the runways at DCA were long enough for large aircraft on longer routes.
It's 6,000'. AS does SEA and LAX nonstop, with rule exemptions.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 2:32 pm

Programs: Delta GM, US Gold, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
It's 6,000'. AS does SEA and LAX nonstop, with rule exemptions.
It's 6869'. Not much shorter than both of LGA's runways, which are 7001'

DL was running 763's ATL-DCA for the inauguration. Granted, not fully fueled
Old Aug 12, 2009, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
I have always been a fan of fewer frequencies on larger equipment, anyway.
^ +1
Old Aug 12, 2009, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by veliger
Federal law limits aircraft flights to nonstop distances of 1,250 miles or less. In 2000, Congress permitted the FAA to allow six round-trip flights to points outside the perimeter.

In terms of larger aircraft, DL/NW/UA/US all operate regular 757/A321 flights. DL had a 767 in DC in December of 2008 too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qePafDfZ0k8
Old Aug 12, 2009, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by craz
sorry but with the consolidation going on CO & FL , and now DL & US , all I see is less competition and thusly watch out as fares are bound to rise and probably by alot

whenever any carrier gets a large chunk of any airports flights its rare to find that fares didnt go up
I don't disagree, but it's a good thing. I've frequently made the unpopular assertion that higher fares are good on FT, and many of you have derided me for it in the past, but fares are (and have been for quite a while) way too low. There's too much capacity in the domestic U.S. market, and that is evident in the collective industry's balance sheets.

Commercial airline travel is just about the only service that has become less expensive over time, despite the rising costs associated with providing the service. We've all become spoiled and now cry foul when airlines raise prices -- but the truth is that we should be lucky to have had the bargains while we did.

Airline prices NEED to go up for the industry to survive... and that means jobs and the strength of commerce in general. Flying may no longer be as accessible as it briefly became in the 90's - '00s, but that's just a necessary evil.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
DL's (lack of) commitment to South America is something to watch out.
What gives you the impression DL lacks commitment to South America? Because they traded a few GRU slots!? You could say they lack commitment to Asia using the same argument, but that's clearly not the case. A few slots, which by Delta's own announcement should not materially affect their current schedule to GRU, doesn't spell doom for DL's operation to SA.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by cptlflyer
What gives you the impression DL lacks commitment to South America? Because they traded a few GRU slots!? You could say they lack commitment to Asia using the same argument, but that's clearly not the case. A few slots, which by Delta's own announcement should not materially affect their current schedule to GRU, doesn't spell doom for DL's operation to SA.
Actually, if the deal for GRU works the same way as previously described, Delta isn't giving up any slots at GRU. US and DL are trading their GIG route authorities; DL's ATL-GIG authority is unrestricted so if US assumes it, they can use it to start CLT-GRU; DL then uses US's restricted CLT-GIG authority (which is restricted to GIG) to fly its existing ATL-GIG. So overall, no change in DL's GIG/GRU schedules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.