Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL to Expand at LGA, but Reduce at DCA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2009, 8:54 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by AirlineDeregulation
I agree. I'm in the same boat. I'm not a fan of US Airways, especially the chaos that is their RJ operation here at DCA. But tough upgrades out of DCA are going to get tougher and options are going to decrease on Delta.

It will be interesting to see if they keep hourly service to ATL because if they do, more than half of their slots will be taken up with Shuttle flights to LGA and ATL flights. It will make it more difficult to connect.

I'm afraid it's time to start flying US Airways more.
I'm in that boat with you. Already feel the effects of the reduced service - I've been flying on other airlines (and IAD) a lot lately. Partly fares, partly upgrades. I'm headed on a day trip DCA-BOS in the next few days - it was $900 on DL vs $550 on AA (and US). That was also the case last time I went to Boston.

I agree that CVG is likely to be cut back even more. And ATL, too. I wouldn't be surprised to see the NY shuttles cut back, too.

89 to 55 is 30-ish percent of the DCA schedule. Really too bad.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 8:55 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
And interestingly, Airtran just announced a swap with CO, which will increase their service at DCA, presumably making use of the gates vacated by NW. Which also includes additional service to ATL. (Not clear if it means CO might clear another gate for DL)

Airtran is pretty good in my experience.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 8:58 am

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Interesting also that as part of this deal, DL is giving US some Brazil and Japan route authorities...

I bet that means more international US flying out of PHL.

I also wonder if the impending PHL gate/lounge swap is part of this deal.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 9:00 am

This will prove very useful if the LGA and DCA perimeter rules are ever removed in the future. Who's up for a LAX-LGA nonstop?
Old Aug 12, 2009, 9:02 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Anyone notice this gem from the release:

Originally Posted by Delta
As part of the transaction, Delta also will exchange a limited number of international route authorities to US Airways for service to Brazil and Japan. These transfers will not result in any material schedule changes for Delta customers.
Edit: Oops! orlandodlplat beat me to it!

I think this is a big win for US. It certainly will help Delta as well, but US is getting some significant items in return: MAT, DCA on a platter, Brazil (read: GRU), and Japan (read: NRT).

I hope DL doesn't unintentionally create another serious international competitor. The real reason US hasn't been considered a viable player in either Brazil or Asia is because they are attempting to start markets that don't make sense to start in a region they have no presence (CLT-GIG & PHL-PEK). GRU/NRT will get them the recognition in those markets that they need.

Last edited by jjglaze77; Aug 12, 2009 at 9:09 am
Old Aug 12, 2009, 9:02 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
Any hopes of DL improving on its DoT ontime arrival/departure statistics are pretty much thrown out the window with this move...

DCA slots are like gold. I sure hope DL knows what it's doing by giving up those slots. I know they're trying to become the leader in NYC, but DCA >> IAD, and NW was always able to charge a premium for their DCA routes. Now that DL has traded them away, there goes that revenue.

And the Brazil/Japan trade should tell you just how badly (justifiably so or not) DL wanted those LGA slots. US may have just pulled off a hell of a deal...
Old Aug 12, 2009, 9:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MastaHanky
This will prove very useful if the LGA and DCA perimeter rules are ever removed in the future. Who's up for a LAX-LGA nonstop?
What is the purpose of the perimeter rule at LGA exactly? Are widebody planes allowed or able to land at LGA?
Old Aug 12, 2009, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
What is the purpose of the perimeter rule at LGA exactly? Are widebody planes allowed or able to land at LGA?
Widebodies can operate out of LaGuardia - Delta flew 767s (including 767-400s) into LGA for many years on Atlanta and Florida routes. AA and UA both used the DC-10 in the LGA, and Air Canada will still occasionally fly a 767-300 on LGA-YYZ (mostly to recover from irrops).

Purpose of the perimeter rule was to protect JFK to an extent as it was opening up. Note that the perimeter rule is waived on Saturdays - DL has flown LGA-SLC and LGA-LAX on Saturdays in the recent past, and they operate LGA-HDN (which is outside the perimeter) on Saturdays during the winter currently.

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
I agree that CVG is likely to be cut back even more. And ATL, too. I wouldn't be surprised to see the NY shuttles cut back, too.

89 to 55 is 30-ish percent of the DCA schedule. Really too bad.
If anything, I've heard to look for bigger planes on the Shuttle (at least the DCA-LGA portion). Could be DC-9s or A319s. Keep in mind that LGA would now be a hub for Delta - passengers on DCA-LGA could connect up to New England and upstate New York - US Airways has 2-3 flights a day to many of these cities, if they're even served out of DCA. Also, passengers who might have occasionally used the US Shuttle out of NYC but also flew on those Express flights might be tempted to switch to Delta now. As it stands, right now Delta does not allow connections onto the Shuttles at LGA, but I'd guess they would now since they're in the same building.

I'd guess CVG will see a lot of the cutbacks - the planes for 125 new flights have to come from somewhere, and with DL appearing intent on giving up slots for DCA-CVG, that speaks volumes to me. Plus that crown jewel of a building sitting a couple hundred miles north in Detroit helps as well.

Wouldn't be shocked to see some more mainline flying as well at LGA, especially on routes such as RDU (where DL and US each had 6x RJs a day) to consolidate a few slots to allow for other new service to LGA.

And what I'd think would be a great idea for Delta, for international connectivity, is to offer a "flight" on a coach bus from LGA to JFK - depart LGA's airside, arrive JFK's airside, baggage goes through as well. CO operates a bus "flight" on ABE-EWR that leaves from ABE's secure side and arrives at EWR's secure side - passengers check-in, drop off bags, clear TSA, etc. at ABE and then get off the bus in EWR just as one would get off an ERJ or 737.

That might be a good way to increase connectivity to international flights at JFK while also thinning down on the number of operations at JFK and reducing some of the clutter there.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 9:17 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
Some wide bodies can land (I've been on a 767 LGA-ATL), but they put in a law to have max flights of 1500 miles.. perhaps not to infringe on JFK? Not sure of rationale and too lazy to Google

Edit: OOPS Mersk beat me to it!
Old Aug 12, 2009, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pitbrian
Some wide bodies can land (I've been on a 767 LGA-ATL), but they put in a law to have max flights of 1500 miles.. perhaps not to infringe on JFK? Not sure of rationale and too lazy to Google

Edit: OOPS Mersk beat me to it!
Found more on the perimeter rule here: http://crankyflier.com/2006/09/23/pe...oesnt-involve/
Old Aug 12, 2009, 9:23 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Hopefully, Delta will choose to use proper mainline aircraft on the LGA-SDF route. It's too long for a Cramped Regional Jet with no F cabin.

I did not fly DL to NYC when they had the CRJ-100 on this route.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 9:23 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by mersk862
And what I'd think would be a great idea for Delta, for international connectivity, is to offer a "flight" on a coach bus from LGA to JFK - depart LGA's airside, arrive JFK's airside, baggage goes through as well. CO operates a bus "flight" on ABE-EWR that leaves from ABE's secure side and arrives at EWR's secure side - passengers check-in, drop off bags, clear TSA, etc. at ABE and then get off the bus in EWR just as one would get off an ERJ or 737.
Agreed. How often do we see threads "How easy is it to get from LGA-JFK in rushhour?" I think a shuttle would make sense, since it is quite intimidating (and expensive) for individuals to try and navigate from LGA-JFK and vv. More would do it if it were through DL and they knew they'd be protected if they missed their flight due to crazy Queens traffic.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 9:24 am

Programs: DL
Interesting move. DL and US were even at both airports, DL wanted to shift towards LGA and have US shift to DCA. On the DL news link, it says that they are making LGA a domestic hub. I don't get why LGA is being made a hub.

Wikipedia: Direct cities served from BOS (including NW)
Delta Air Lines - Amsterdam, Detroit, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Atlanta, Bermuda, Cancún, Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky, New York-JFK, Orlando, Salt Lake City, Tampa, West Palm Beach, New York-LaGuardia

Delta Connection - Baltimore (ends August 17), Bangor (Ends December 1st), Charleston (SC) [seasonal], Charlottetown [seasonal], Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky, Columbus (OH), Halifax, Indianapolis, Myrtle Beach [seasonal], New York-JFK, Philadelphia [ends August 17], Raleigh/Durham, Tampa, Washington-Reagan, Detroit, Memphis, Indinapolis
Wikipedia: Direct cities served from LGA (including NW)
Delta Air Lines Atlanta, Boston, Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky, Hayden/Steamboat Springs [seasonal], Orlando, Tampa, West Palm Beach Bermuda, Detroit, Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers, Memphis, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Nassau, New Orleans,

Delta Connection - Asheville (NC), Atlanta, Birmingham (AL), Charleston (SC), Chicago-Midway, Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky, Columbia (SC), Columbus (OH), Des Moines, Grand Rapids, Greenville/Spartanburg (SC), Indianapolis, Jacksonville (FL), Kansas City, Lexington, Madison, Myrtle Beach [seasonal], New Orleans, Omaha, Raleigh/Durham, Sarasota [seasonal], Savannah/Hilton Head Island, Traverse City [seasonal]
It will be interesting to see LGA as a hub...
Old Aug 12, 2009, 9:25 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
The US announcement indicates an intention to fly NRT from PHX, and not PHL. Although the announcement also says they don't anticipate that service before 2012. Note all of the disclaimers at the end of the announcement.

http://www.usairways.com/awa/content...sreleases.aspx
Access to Sao Paulo and Tokyo

US Airways will also acquire from Delta the rights to operate daily service at two of the world’s most important business destinations – Sao Paulo, Brazil and Tokyo, Japan. These two cities will complement US Airways’ existing portfolio of more than 50 international destinations in more than 30 countries and territories across Europe, the Middle East, Latin America, North America, and the Caribbean.

Nocella elaborated on the carrier’s anticipated access to those markets, “Sao Paulo and Tokyo will bolster our international growth plans for South America and Asia, and this transaction provides a unique opportunity to expand into two prominent international business markets where US Airways would otherwise not be able to operate.”

With today’s transaction, US Airways has acquired the rights to serve Sao Paulo; and anticipates starting service to Sao Paulo in the second half of next year. The airline’s plan to begin daily Charlotte-Rio de Janeiro service this December remains unchanged. US Airways will be working with governmental authorities in both countries to assist it in securing additional authority to permit daily flights between Charlotte and both Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo.

The Tokyo service is tentatively scheduled to operate from US Airways’ Phoenix hub using Airbus 330-200 aircraft. It will require various government approvals and will be contingent upon economic conditions at the time. The airline does not anticipate starting Tokyo service until 2012 or later.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 9:31 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by mersk862
And what I'd think would be a great idea for Delta, for international connectivity, is to offer a "flight" on a coach bus from LGA to JFK - depart LGA's airside, arrive JFK's airside, baggage goes through as well.

That might be a good way to increase connectivity to international flights at JFK while also thinning down on the number of operations at JFK and reducing some of the clutter there.
Yeah, but who would want to do that, vs connecting at EWR or going to Dulles?

US' press release says "The 15 new destinations US Airways will serve from DCA after this transaction include seven markets that currently have service to/from DCA today (Cincinnati, Ohio; Des Moines, Iowa; Grand Rapids, Mich.; Madison, Wis.; Montreal, Canada; Miami, Fla.; and Ottawa, Canada)."

So if we assume DL/NW drop CVG, DSM, GRR and MSN completely, I think that's about 16 slots.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.