Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta missed flight policy and flight connections

Old Jul 8, 2009, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK Eurobonus Silver, DL, AA, AY, US

Hi,

Can anybody tell me what exactly is the Delta policy on missed flights, as the information I find on the net seems to be conflicting.

I'm arriving EWR on an international flight at 10:05am, and need a connecting flight to MCI. I'm thinking about taking either a 3:05pm flight with a connection in ATL or a direct from JFK at 3:50pm

The JFK flight is both cheaper and arrives earlier, so I would prefer catching that, but how sure a thing is the connection (given the intercontinetal flight can get delayed and immigration might take time, never used EWR so don't know how bad they are)? And if I miss the flight what is Delta policy on missed flights, can I get rerouted for a reasonable flight?
And out of curiosity, upgrade wise what kind of a chance do I have as a Delta Silver Medallion member on the EWR-ATL-MCI or the JFK-MCI? I'm going for the low price, so ticket will probably be in T-class, so I'll be in the back of the upgrade line, and I'd assume there are a lot of Delta FO:s in Atlanta.

Thanks in advance for everybody bothering to answer!
Old Jul 8, 2009, 7:11 pm

EWR to JFK is ~ 1 hour by car (but not cheap), by public transport ~ 2 hours. I would highly recommend just connecting via ATL/CVG/DTW/MSP.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
What is the fare difference? As mentioned, getting from EWR to JFK may negate any savings. A taxi is the second quickest way to get from to JFK (helicopter via Manhattan being the quickest). Arriving to EWR at 10 AM, you should have time to make it over to JFK with time to spare.

If you miss your JFK flight, DL may reaccomodate you via another DL hub to get you to MCI. Depending on the agent, it could be free or a $50 charge for Same Day Confirm to a different flight (assuming there is availability).
Old Jul 8, 2009, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL DM (and NRSA), UA NA, HH Dia, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
What is the fare difference? As mentioned, getting from EWR to JFK may negate any savings. A taxi is the second quickest way to get from to JFK (helicopter via Manhattan being the quickest). Arriving to EWR at 10 AM, you should have time to make it over to JFK with time to spare.

If you miss your JFK flight, DL may reaccomodate you via another DL hub to get you to MCI. Depending on the agent, it could be free or a $50 charge for Same Day Confirm to a different flight (assuming there is availability).
Big question on the reaccomodation though is are you coming into EWR on a DL (or codeshare) flight? I would bet no which means you are purchasing your JFK-MCI separately correct?
Old Jul 9, 2009, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AndyTLe

The fare is about a $100 cheaper from JFK, plus the flight from JFK arrives hour and a half earlier which would be a plus. That should be enough even for a taxi, right, so I could make my call based on when I get through immigration and then decide between train and a taxi, and either way still be about the same price or even cheaper.

I don't know if there is any reason to assume any difference in probability of getting bumbed to first between the two options?

Originally Posted by majorwibi
Big question on the reaccomodation though is are you coming into EWR on a DL (or codeshare) flight? I would bet no which means you are purchasing your JFK-MCI separately correct?
I'm coming in with MH, so yes the NYC-MCI whichever airport I use will be on a separate ticket. (That's why I'm asking, I know they'd have to reaccomondate if it was because of their own late arrival.)
Old Jul 9, 2009, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mkgrip
I'm coming in with MH, so yes the NYC-MCI whichever airport I use will be on a separate ticket. (That's why I'm asking, I know they'd have to reaccomondate if it was because of their own late arrival.)
If you miss your DL fight (discounted, nonrefundable) because of late arrival on a separate MH ticket, DL doesn't have to reaccommodate at all. In practice, a few posters have been asked to pay a Same Day Change fee. Some have been asked (there's an infamous thread out there) to buy new tickets. The Contract of Carriage is authoritative wrt DL's obligations.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
The fare is about a $100 cheaper from JFK, plus the flight from JFK arrives hour and a half earlier which would be a plus. That should be enough even for a taxi, right, so I could make my call based on when I get through immigration and then decide between train and a taxi, and either way still be about the same price or even cheaper.

I don't know if there is any reason to assume any difference in probability of getting bumbed to first between the two options?
If it were me, I'd probably take the NYC option. But that's just me.

Your EWR-JFK options:
http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTrave...ct.html#ewrjfk

Not having flown to MCI via JFK, I don't know the answer about the upgrades. But it seems upgrades are easier to come by from JFK than from ATL. I'd say you would have a shot.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 8:17 am

Programs: Delta Plat
I wouldn't do it, I live 10 minutes from JFK on the route you'd take to get to Newark and it has taken me up to 3 hours on a high traffic day to get there. Plus cab fare into Manhattan from Newark can run as high as 100 dollars, may even be double that to JFK never did it though.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 8:59 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Partly, this also depends on the day of the week. EWR departures on weekday afternoons can very easily get backed up, causing a possible misconnect at ATL. OTOH, NJT trains on weekends can have some very large gaps in service.

Assuming you're comfortable with the NY area transit systems and the four trains you'd have to take (monorail, NJT, LIRR or subway, airtrain; total ~$28) and you have 1:30 - 2:15 (weekday)/2:30 (weekend) + checkin/security time, I'd go via JFK. I wouldn't take a taxi and on a weekday I wouldn't take the bus.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 9:06 am

Programs: DL Plat, Recovering AA Exec Plat
Delta/Delta connections?

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If you miss your DL fight (discounted, nonrefundable) because of late arrival on a separate MH ticket, DL doesn't have to reaccommodate at all. In practice, a few posters have been asked to pay a Same Day Change fee. Some have been asked (there's an infamous thread out there) to buy new tickets. The Contract of Carriage is authoritative wrt DL's obligations.
What is the policy (is there one) if you miss a connection from another DL flight from a separate ticket. I'm going through a similar issue at the moment (have to come from a different start point from where I originally thought I'd be starting my journey) and would like to feel some sense of protection from Delta on Delta crime.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 9:17 am

Programs: DL DM (and NRSA), UA NA, HH Dia, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by deveras
What is the policy (is there one) if you miss a connection from another DL flight from a separate ticket. I'm going through a similar issue at the moment (have to come from a different start point from where I originally thought I'd be starting my journey) and would like to feel some sense of protection from Delta on Delta crime.
So you purchased A-B on one ticket and B-C on a separate ticket but all on DL metal?
Old Jul 9, 2009, 9:23 am

Indeed

Originally Posted by majorwibi
So you purchased A-B on one ticket and B-C on a separate ticket but all on DL metal?
I already have B-C but am trying to decide if buying DL on A-B offers me any additional protection. So yes, in theory I will have bought A-B, then B-C all on DL metal.

Thanks in advance for any insights.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 10:36 am

The Old-Fashioned Way

Originally Posted by deveras
I already have B-C but am trying to decide if buying DL on A-B offers me any additional protection. So yes, in theory I will have bought A-B, then B-C all on DL metal.

Thanks in advance for any insights.
I think I've figured this out the old-fashioned way--fishing around for Delta friends in high places to call panicked on the day of travel...too bad there's not a less histrionic way but so go DL hub connections!
Old Jul 9, 2009, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

I booked the JFK flight, after all there seemed to be fair availability for the route even for today, so I guess I should be able to get a new flight if needed for a reasonable flight that my insurance will cover anyway.

Anyway, if somebody has experience in how well the immigration works around that time in EWR I'm still interested.

And it's gonna be a weekday, so I guess there will be some traffic if taking a taxi. It should still be tolerable right, it's not like I'm traveling in the worst rush hour right...

I'm semi familiar with the NYC transit system, though I've never used EWR before. Anyway don't think that's gonna be a problem, only problem with the trains might be the luggage I have to drag around.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 1:44 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Anyway, if somebody has experience in how well the immigration works around that time in EWR I'm still interested.
Last time I did immigration at EWR it was 6am...

And it's gonna be a weekday, so I guess there will be some traffic if taking a taxi. It should still be tolerable right, it's not like I'm traveling in the worst rush hour right...
If everything is OK, you'll probably miss traffic, but you can get stuck at pretty much any time.

I'm semi familiar with the NYC transit system, though I've never used EWR before. Anyway don't think that's gonna be a problem, only problem with the trains might be the luggage I have to drag around.
If you have more than a backpack/laptop/equivalent and rollaboard, the train is going to be quite a hassle. Specifically, you'll need to
  1. take escalator/elevator up to EWR airtrain
  2. get on EWR airtrain (squeeze into tiny cars)
  3. take escalator/elevator up to airlink station
  4. buy $15 ticket to NYP
  5. go through turnstile
  6. take escalator/elevator down to platform (probably Track A)
  7. get on train, find a place that you're not blocking the aisle
  8. go up from platform (stairs, escalator, or elevator)
  9. find LIRR ($5.75 + $5 airtrain) or subway ($7.25 metrocard, good for subway + airtrain) ticket machines
  10. go through turnstile (subway only)
  11. take stairs/escalator/elevator to platform
  12. get on train, find a place that you're not blocking the aisle
  13. go up escalator from platform (subway only)
  14. go through turnstile (subway only)
  15. go up escalator/elevator to airtrain platform
  16. go through turnstile
  17. get on JFK airtrain
  18. take escalator/elevator to crossover
  19. take elevator to checkin level
  20. cross street

It's easier than it sounds

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.