Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

First Class (Vegetarian vs. Asian Vegetarian) Meal Option

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2009, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM

As a new veg. I have to decide which meal to order in F on the transcon. Has anyone ordered any of these special meals if so what did they serve for supper and how was it?
Old Mar 16, 2009, 12:52 pm

well congratulations on becoming a vegetarian! (I am one too )

as for your question - I dont know
Old Mar 16, 2009, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
My wife and I have been vegetarians for years, and--to be honest--we find DL's special vegetarian meals to be awful. We just bring along something or other that we know we like rather than relying on what they serve.

We do typically fly first thing in the morning so we are usually being served breakfast. We will sometimes ask for whatever fruit comes along with the meal to compliment what we have brought aboard. Typically it's a few slices of canteloupe and honeydew, a few red grapes, maybe a cube or two of pineapple, and maybe a strawberry--or some combination thereof.

If you are flying TATL in BE--as we do a few times a year--order the pasta that is on the BE menu and not a special vegetarian meal--and then keep your fingers crossed. The BE pasta servings are sometimes okay and sometimes hideous, but they are still better than a "special vegetarian" meal--which is the same thing you would get in coach.

Michelle Bernstein--or whatever her name--is not someone I would ever hire to prepare meals for me. She has the light touch of an overweight hippo.

Last edited by atl runner; Mar 16, 2009 at 1:15 pm
Old Mar 16, 2009, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
In F, i stopped ordering vegeteratian meals because there is always a veggie option anyway (usually pasta). When I used to order vegetarian, I choose asian vegetarian (usually some sort of indian curry). I was just disappointed to see the dessert (cheesecake or ice cream) replaced with some fruit from the can. So I stopped (like my cheesecake!).
Old Mar 16, 2009, 5:40 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion
The term, "asian vegetarian" always confused me - not sure if it was Indian vegetarian or Chinese vegetarian - it usually ends up being Indian vegetarian on these flights. If it is Indian vegetarian that is fine with me (as I am from India), but not all vegetarians like their food spicy.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 10:51 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Hyatt Plat.
being lacto ovo, I find the meal in BE is just fine without the meat portion of the meal. Had the asian-veg once, not going to do it again, as it was not great quality and not something I had seen before. As for meal in F just bring a snack for protien and just eat the other stuff on the F meal, it should be fine.
peace
Old Mar 17, 2009, 2:12 am

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
When you order a special meal on DL or most other USA airlines, the special meal will be the same in Economy or in Business, except in Biz you will get extra bread (not much good for my Gluten Free).

In BizE, there is usually a veg option available on the regular menu (usually pasta as pointed out by others) and that is generally your best option from my perspective.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 8:19 am

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Originally Posted by Kumaranyc
The term, "asian vegetarian" always confused me - not sure if it was Indian vegetarian or Chinese vegetarian - it usually ends up being Indian vegetarian on these flights. If it is Indian vegetarian that is fine with me (as I am from India), but not all vegetarians like their food spicy.
We like GOOD Indian food (Rasa in London, Indian Lounge in York UK, Karishna in Örebro, Sweden as examples), but the stuff Delta serves is both oversalted and bland, and not at all good--in our opinion.

I will say that a year or two ago we had "Hindu Vegetarian" special meals in Biz First on CO flights between EWR and ARN that were unbelievably good--better than any meal I've ever had on Delta.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I flew ATL-SFO today and my seatmate had a veg meal for breakfast that looked much better than the omelette melted around the plate everyone else had. Can you order a special meal on a flight where you have requeted an upgrade? Will be flying ATL-CUR and am waitlisted for the upgrade. Can I request a special meal and if I dont clear, then the request just doesnt get fulfilled?

Can anyone give some samples of the domestic veg meals offered in FC these days for breakfast or lunch? What about from Caribbean/Latin American stations "Business" flights. I want to avoid getting served a cold cereal meal as my "veg" option on a longer flight.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I flew ATL-SFO today and my seatmate had a veg meal for breakfast that looked much better than the omelette melted around the plate everyone else had. Can you order a special meal on a flight where you have requeted an upgrade? Will be flying ATL-CUR and am waitlisted for the upgrade. Can I request a special meal and if I dont clear, then the request just doesnt get fulfilled?

Can anyone give some samples of the domestic veg meals offered in FC these days for breakfast or lunch? What about from Caribbean/Latin American stations "Business" flights. I want to avoid getting served a cold cereal meal as my "veg" option on a longer flight.
My understanding is that once the computer shows you as being in F, you can then select "special services" and request a special meal. So if you upgrade clears early enough you can select a special meal.

What exactly did your seatmate get? Do you know if they ordered a vegetarian meal or an ASIAN Vegetarian meal?

I have a F class flight coming up, JFK-SFO, that has breakfast. Right now I've asked for an ASIAN veg meal...but another poster warned it may just be Ramen-cup-a-soup! NASTY!

So I'm really curious what your seat mate got, and what they ordered to get that breakfast....
Old Jun 12, 2009, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA 1P DL GM HH PP
FWIW, while I am not a vegetarian I ordered the Asian (Indian) Vegetarian meal for my 05 Jun evening flight from ATL-SAN (DL115) based on a good experience previously. What I received was chicken and rice in a tomato-based sauce. While it tasted like it had some Indian-like spices in the sauce, I was disappointed in it compared to my previous Asian Vegetarian meal and would have a been a big surprise/turn-off for a true vegetarian. YMMV.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 4:48 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by cvn74n2
FWIW, while I am not a vegetarian I ordered the Asian (Indian) Vegetarian meal for my 05 Jun evening flight from ATL-SAN (DL115) based on a good experience previously. What I received was chicken and rice in a tomato-based sauce. While it tasted like it had some Indian-like spices in the sauce, I was disappointed in it compared to my previous Asian Vegetarian meal and would have a been a big surprise/turn-off for a true vegetarian. YMMV.
so, they consider chicken as being vegetarian?
Old Jun 12, 2009, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by snod08
so, they consider chicken as being vegetarian?
That jumped out at me too when I read the post! WOW...how could Delta (or their caterer) mess up that badly?
Old Jun 24, 2009, 10:14 pm

Asian Vegetarian Breakfast - YUMMY!

So I had my transcon and got my Asian Vegetarian breakfast and it was REALLY good!

Had the standard small bowl of fruit and a granola bar and the normal choice of bagel or croissant as part of the tray.

The main dish had some warm spinach, spicey small cubed potatos, and then some kind of egg/corn fritter/quiche type thing, but it was SPICEY and tasty.

There was also a small foil cup of a spicey tomato based sauce, almost like an Asian salsa. This would be a BAD choice for someone looking for something simple (bland) for breakfast, but if you want that just get the cereal!

For people who are use to a cuisine with a little more "kick" it was really good and quite filling and so nice to have something WARM for breakfast.

I did have to ask the F/A's about it and it took a good few minutes of searching the galley to find it...

I took a picture, so if anyone is really interested in seeing it you can PM me an email address for me to send it to...
Old Jun 25, 2009, 9:22 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by atl runner
We like GOOD Indian food (Rasa in London, Indian Lounge in York UK, Karishna in Örebro, Sweden as examples), but the stuff Delta serves is both oversalted and bland, and not at all good--in our opinion.

I will say that a year or two ago we had "Hindu Vegetarian" special meals in Biz First on CO flights between EWR and ARN that were unbelievably good--better than any meal I've ever had on Delta.
Perhaps it is "bland" so as not to be offensive to other customers. Indian food can have a very strong odor that your neighbor may not appreciate nor does the airline want the entire cabin to begin to smell.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.