Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) [closed to posting]
Sign in using an external account

Old Oct 23, 08, 6:41 pm   #1

DL/NW Reciprocal Upgrades Starting October 28

Thanks DLBeno, but I think it deserves a thread on its own....

Announced today:

DL/NW Reciprocal Upgrades Are On The Way!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
October 23, 2008

On October 28, 2008, SkyMiles and WorldPerks elite members will be eligible to receive complimentary upgrades on Delta and Northwest flights.

Reciprocal upgrade is for the elite members only.

SkyMiles companions will only be eligible for upgrades on DL coded and Delta operated flights.
WorldPerks companions will only be eligible for upgrades on NW coded and NW operated flights.

What is changing?
Beginning October 25 you will start to see V/X inventory being added to some DL coded flights operated by NW. Even though you see the inventory, the upgrade won't be applicable for travel before October 28.
On and after October 28, SkyMiles and WorldPerks Platinum, Gold and Silver members will receive a complimentary upgrade on applicable DL or NW coded flights which are operated by DL, Delta Connection, DL Shuttle ( effective when F/C reconfiguration is completed ~ Dec '08), NW or NW AirLink (Mesaba, Compass, Pinnacle)
Customers on delta.com will be able to add their frequent traveler number for any airline program to their new or existing reservation
When a NW elite number is added to the PNR with applicable DL or NW flights, the upgrade will automatically be requested
When a DL elite number is added to the PNR with applicable NW flights, the upgrade will automatically be requested
NW elite status will be printed on the boarding pass

What stays the same?
Area of travel: within/between the U.S. (excluding Hawaii) and Canada, Bermuda, Caribbean, Mexico, Central and non BusinessElite markets in South America.
When a NW elite number is added to the PNR, the NW Platinum, Gold or Silver status will be shown in the SSR (this became effective in September)
Clearance is based on member status and booking class. If status and paid class are the same, time of request will determine clearance order.
Pending upgrade is automatically added to Airport Standby List
Upgrades booked in G/Z class
Old Oct 23, 08, 6:55 pm   #2

Programs: DL Platinum, AXP Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, and SPG Gold
This is really terrific. While I know people have concerns about upgrade availability, I think that the chance to get an upgrade on so many flights in the US is amazing.

Any idea if we will be able to use PMUs on NW flights?
Old Oct 23, 08, 7:38 pm   #3
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Air Lines, US Dividend Miles, Rapids Reward
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointaholic View Post
This is really terrific. While I know people have concerns about upgrade availability, I think that the chance to get an upgrade on so many flights in the US is amazing.

Any idea if we will be able to use PMUs on NW flights?
Yes. I believe that mean it was unlimited medallion upgrade. You can upgrade whatever you want. You will be eligible upgrade into F class all domestic USA. What about international flight will be remains same exact with M, Y, B, am I correct? Is those are still on restrictions for international flight with medallion complimentary upgrades.
Old Oct 23, 08, 7:50 pm   #4
Original Member

Programs: DL PM, DL Reserve, HH Gold
Delta coded?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DlRes View Post
some DL coded flights operated by NW.
So, if you are booking a flight through www.nwa.com, how do you know if it is "Delta coded"?
Old Oct 23, 08, 7:54 pm   #5

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, UA Silver, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Premier, National Exec Elite
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALeeIII View Post
So, if you are booking a flight through www.nwa.com, how do you know if it is "Delta coded"?
If you are using www.nwa.com, then you will not see anything Delta coded. What that statement is referencing is the fact that now, in the Delta system any NW flights that carry the DL code (hence "Delta coded") will now show V/X inventory. Anything you book through nwa.com will be Northwest coded and therefore be subject to their upgrade rules (which DL PM/GM/FO will now be able to have access to )
Old Oct 23, 08, 7:56 pm   #6

That's exciting :-)

I have a PMU booking in G/Z that I'm looking to do better than MCO-JFK-BCN-CDG-ATL-MCO
Old Oct 23, 08, 8:10 pm   #7

PMU's and Mileage upgrades will remain as it is. Only available on DL metal.
Old Oct 23, 08, 8:31 pm   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DlRes View Post
PMU's and Mileage upgrades will remain as it is. Only available on DL metal.
Bleh.

What would I be looking for on NW metal (code wise)?
Old Oct 23, 08, 8:36 pm   #9
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing
So when is DL going to drop the non-refundable "partner award" booking fee when using DL miles for itineraries including NW flights? That shouldn't be so hard to implement.
Old Oct 23, 08, 8:47 pm   #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Um...I don't remember. I need to check my boarding pass.
Programs: Lots of shiny cards
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
So when is DL going to drop the non-refundable "partner award" booking fee when using DL miles for itineraries including NW flights? That shouldn't be so hard to implement.
Hopefully sooner than later. But I'm not counting on it for some time.
Old Oct 23, 08, 9:14 pm   #11

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold
If I book a flight on NW at nwa.com, being a DL PM, when will I potentially clear? Is it a gate upgrade or at the window for NW or DL? This is definitely great news!
Old Oct 23, 08, 9:42 pm   #12

Programs: Delta Skymiles-Gold Medallion,Hilton Honors
I'm hoping this means that DL's elites will always have priority over NWA elites. As in a NWA platinum will have to wait until all of the DL Silver Medallions have cleared
Old Oct 23, 08, 9:46 pm   #13
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Um...I don't remember. I need to check my boarding pass.
Programs: Lots of shiny cards
Quote:
Originally Posted by DL-MCO2MEM View Post
I'm hoping this means that DL's elites will always have priority over NWA elites. As in a NWA platinum will have to wait until all of the DL Silver Medallions have cleared
I hope not and I tend to think it won't. NW/CO already do their upgrades so that NW Plat = CO Plat, and with the merger looking like a sure thing, the two companies are going to be under one umbrella quite possibly by Christmas.

And of course, as a DL Platinum (in a couple of weeks) living in MSP, I'd like some priority on those NW-metal flights.
Old Oct 23, 08, 11:28 pm   #14

Programs: Delta Skymiles-Gold Medallion,Hilton Honors
Quote:
Originally Posted by mersk862 View Post
I hope not and I tend to think it won't. NW/CO already do their upgrades so that NW Plat = CO Plat, and with the merger looking like a sure thing, the two companies are going to be under one umbrella quite possibly by Christmas.

And of course, as a DL Platinum (in a couple of weeks) living in MSP, I'd like some priority on those NW-metal flights.

Hmmm, I'll have to make a call to the Medallion line to make sure. I'll have Gold status (I'm Silver now) with DL this coming year and thats just the thing, I chose DL as my carrier of choice, NOT NWA. DL should always give their own customers any perks before another carrier and NWA should have the same philosophy of taking care of your own people first. I would be highly annoyed if an NWA elite got an upgrade over a DL elite. The way those NWA passengers have been complaining about this merger you would think they would stay on NWA metal until the last day.
Old Oct 24, 08, 12:24 am   #15

Well this is a potentially beneficial move. I am a little apprehensive as the obvious and immediate affect on both Delta & NW is a huge dilution of the elite upgrade pool, meaning essentially a doubling of upgrade competitors overnight.

I really hope that this is a true "interim" step, however, where on Delta metal Delta Elites always trump NW AND vice versa. I realize in the end this dilution will occur anyhow, but it would be nice to accomplish this in steps, but that is just my thoughts.