Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL/NW Reciprocal Upgrades Starting October 28

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:22 pm

Programs: you name it, i have it
I am flying to MSP on Thursday for the day. I removed my NW FF # from my company site before making the reservation so only my GM DL # would be included. Any chance I will get an upgrade? Any suggestions to help me? Thx for the advice!
Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:17 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
First sign of official start of the program

NW's website now has details of the upgrade program with Delta (for NW elites flying on DL).

http://www.nwa.com/worldperks/elite/upgrades.shtml

As the benefit is supposed to be reciprical, I'm assuming DL elites will now be included in the upgrading procedures for NW flights. Still no official words from DL from what I can tell....

...and now, why the restriction, "All bookings made on or after October 28, will be placed in the automatic upgrade process for Delta-operated flights"?? As benefit is now in effect, I wonder if NW elites must call to request upgrades for booking prior to October 28??? " Mystery.

Jiburi
Old Oct 28, 2008, 4:22 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jiburi
...and now, why the restriction, "All bookings made on or after October 28, will be placed in the automatic upgrade process for Delta-operated flights"?? As benefit is now in effect, I wonder if NW elites must call to request upgrades for booking prior to October 28??? " Mystery.
It looks like they have to be manually submitted if booked before today. I just went into my itinerary this morning to check and in the upgrade status for my NW flights there were check boxes labeled "Request Only" and a "submit" button allowing you to submit your request for the upgrade on a per segment basis. So for those of you who have NW flights in your future itins, make sure you go in and request the upgrade for each segment.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 5:38 am

We updated delta.com last night so that you can enter in partner FF numbers at the time of booking. if a NW or CO is entered and validates, you'll be eligible for automatic upgrades. Additionally you can add/update/change the FF program and number when managing your itinerary.

let me know if you find any bugs.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 5:49 am

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DeltaWebDev
We updated delta.com last night so that you can enter in partner FF numbers at the time of booking. if a NW or CO is entered and validates, you'll be eligible for automatic upgrades. Additionally you can add/update/change the FF program and number when managing your itinerary.

let me know if you find any bugs.
Beautiful! Nicely done. Any way to go back and change current itins to reflect partner FF #'s instead? I see what you said above but I'm having a hard time finding how to do that online.

Again, great job. This is a huge benefit to Delta passengers.

I take that back. A simple scroll down and there it is!

Last edited by woody125; Oct 28, 2008 at 5:50 am Reason: Nevermind....just found it
Old Oct 28, 2008, 6:36 am

I was upgraded on an NWA flight last weekend(NWA ticket/metal). The reservation changed from K class, earning 700 mqms, to R class, earning 0 mqms. This is my first upgrade ever on an NWA flight, so I was wondering if its actually going to post correctly or if the upgrade messed up my reservation?
Old Oct 28, 2008, 7:52 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by DeltaWebDev
if a NW or CO is entered and validates, you'll be eligible for automatic upgrades.
Did I miss something? Does DL now give upgrades to CO elites? And vice versa?
Old Oct 28, 2008, 7:54 am

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
Originally Posted by Burj
Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean... If you check at the 23:59:59 mark are you saying NW might still have EUA running and that it WILL upgrade people even after they have checked in?
Yes. Exactly right. You'll get a notification from NW (or maybe not if DL# is in there so not tied into NW text messaging by your NW# anymore) that your upgrade cleared and "because you are already checked in please see an airport agent for your new boarding pass" (paraphrased quote).

O.K. so in general...WHAT should be my strategy for checking in? On a related note...suppose I DO get the upgrade ahead of time, at check in if I change the FF# BACK to NW will the upgrade still hold?
Strikes me as risky. Yes, you're still inside the Silver window - but as the last Silver added to the upgrade list rather than as one of the first (DL) Platinums. If the system is programmed "fairly" it should take away your upgrade as a Plat and give it to whatever NW, CO, or DL Silver was on the battlefield or EUA upgrade list already.

I might do this because I need this flight to qualify for SE status on NW for next year.... (just in case of the SMALL possibility of the merger falling through I'd like to have some status on NW next year)
Strikes me as unnecessary. I've already given up on attempting to finish my "just-gonna-make-it" NW Silver for this year, by having credited my last NW flight a couple of weeks ago to CO Plat, and my upcoming NW flight next month is now set for CO Plat. Given that I now also have DL Gold as a result of a status match from my higher UA status, I figure that I don't need NW status at all, even if the merger tanks, even if I keep flying NW. NW and DL were already SkyTeam partners, with everything except upgrades. Now they also share upgrades, and remember, this was originally planned for back in 2006, before DL and NW were merging at all. So DL status is better than it ever was before in terms of benefits on legacy-NW, even if NW never merges into DL.

The only reason I think it might make sense for keeping minimal NW status in your (or my) circumstance is if the assumption is the merger gets killed, and in that case you want to go back to legacy-NW because of NW's arguably better FF program. But otherwise Plat or Gold DL will trump "native" Silver NW on all regards, even without the merger.

Plus I can't see any way the merger doesn't happen at this point.

Whereas I am planning to re-earn bare-minimal UA status next year (unless the economy tanks even further and I don't fly for business at all) just in case the CO/UA joint venture/bilateral deal/CO-into-Star doesn't happen. But I don't see any reason to keep NW as a backup to DL (or vice versa) because they're already quite close even without the merger.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 8:39 am

Programs: DL GM
NW's website now has details of the upgrade program with Delta (for NW elites flying on DL).

As the benefit is supposed to be reciprical, I'm assuming DL elites will now be included in the upgrading procedures for NW flights. Still no official words from DL from what I can tell....
DL.com is now also updated:

Effective for bookings made on or after 10/28, SkyMiles Medallion members will also enjoy unlimited complimentary upgrades on eligible Delta and Northwest coded flights operated by Northwest, Mesaba, Pinnacle and Compass flights within North America.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Where on that page is there anything about Delta listed? I don't see it at all.

I do see it on the DL page.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
The NW page has reverted since yesterday. The info about upgrades on DL is no longer there.

When I first saw this posted yesterday I even worked my way through the menus from the NW home page to ensure that it was valid and not hacked by guessing the page name. Someone at NW has changed his/her mind for now.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 4:58 pm

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
Weirdly, now it's back on nwa.com:
Originally Posted by http://www.nwa.com/worldperks/elite/upgrades.shtml
Automated Upgrade Processing* on Delta and Continental
Delta and Continental Airlines will also automatically process upgrades for WorldPerks Elite members. You do not need to call Northwest, Delta or Continental to confirm your upgrade.

* All bookings made on or after October 28, will be placed in the automatic upgrade process for Delta-operated flights.
But I can't see anything about it on delta.com at the page sbm12 referenced and longtimelurker linked. Don't see anything about NW upgrades on that page.

Are they putting it up and down? Or are we just seeing different propagation of the new page out to caching services like Akamai or Brightcove or whatever?
Old Oct 28, 2008, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by MarkXS
So DL status is better than it ever was before in terms of benefits on legacy-NW, even if NW never merges into DL.

The only reason I think it might make sense for keeping minimal NW status in your (or my) circumstance is if the assumption is the merger gets killed, and in that case you want to go back to legacy-NW because of NW's arguably better FF program. But otherwise Plat or Gold DL will trump "native" Silver NW on all regards, even without the merger.
Of course...good points... alright I'm going to see if my DL PM gets me the upgrade on NW. So far looks like NW 211, DTW-SEA is still pretty empty up front, but at 7 days out NW 212, SEA-DTW, doesn't have that many seats still open up front so it isn't looking too good.

Again I don't know why they down graded it from a 757 to a A320...
Old Oct 29, 2008, 4:47 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Plat, Hertz 5*
NW Upgrades Working

Well, the reciprocal upgrades are working perfectly for me. I have PM status on DL and no elite status at all on NW. I have an upcoming trip on NW from Tampa to Winnipeg via MSP that just cleared both segments at the 5-day window.

These segments are not DL codeshares. I booked them on NWA.com and have to track them via that web site. So far everything looks great.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 5:01 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Citrix Trainer
Well, the reciprocal upgrades are working perfectly for me. I have PM status on DL and no elite status at all on NW. I have an upcoming trip on NW from Tampa to Winnipeg via MSP that just cleared both segments at the 5-day window.

These segments are not DL codeshares. I booked them on NWA.com and have to track them via that web site. So far everything looks great.
Nice to hear that. Just a quick note that on NW the 5-day window actually clears 6 days out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.