Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

What is the best way to incurr 5k in AMEX charges without "purchasing" anything?

What is the best way to incurr 5k in AMEX charges without "purchasing" anything?

Old Oct 11, 2008, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

I need to spend $5,000 on my Delta AMEX credit card to get my MQM bonus.

I don't really want to buy anything right now. What is the best way to get these MQMs before the end of the year short of buying gift cards and ebaying them? Any other ideas?
Old Oct 11, 2008, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
If you read the conditions very carefully and ensure you understand the processes (without calling the providers):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=696497

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=833911
Old Oct 11, 2008, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat, Avis First
I very vaguely recall something on FT about buying Travelers Cheques from an Amex Location with no cost. You could then use the $$$ to pay the Amex bill. Search around and you should find it.

(EDIT- icurhere2 just found what I was thinking of as I posted)
Old Oct 11, 2008, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Autopay your regular bills to credit card (telephone, cell phone, cable/satellite, water bills, security, etc.) Probably won't get you to 5k but it's a start. Look to pay a major expense by credit card (business expense, taxes, tuition, etc.) You might have to pay a "processing" or "convenience" fee but it may be worth it to you. Look to pre-pay future large expenses (airline tickets, hotels, vacation, etc.).
Old Oct 11, 2008, 5:06 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
Buy a business class refundable ticket, then get it refunded after the MQMs post. I did that last year to push me over the edge in December and worked like a champ.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by yngdiego
Buy a business class refundable ticket, then get it refunded after the MQMs post. I did that last year to push me over the edge in December and worked like a champ.
You may have to get the refund in 2009 and your AMEX account will be negative for the 5k MQM for 2009.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by zman
You may have to get the refund in 2009 and your AMEX account will be negative for the 5k MQM for 2009.
It will work even if in the same year. I'm not vouching for the ethics of doing this. Assuming you don't carry a balance, you will have to pay it at the end of the month and then you will have a negative balance until you use it up.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 7:19 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat, Avis First
Originally Posted by El Boocho
It will work even if in the same year. I'm not vouching for the ethics of doing this. Assuming you don't carry a balance, you will have to pay it at the end of the month and then you will have a negative balance until you use it up.
Nor could you, because it isn't ethical, unless you had a real intent to take the trip and circumstances changed later.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.