Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Three-Tier System/Award Calendar In Effect

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2008, 8:30 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by runninaway
You're kidding, right? If not, are you speaking from the perspective of redemption levels, availability or strictly IT interface?
As I detailed previously, just from the IT perspective.

Originally Posted by beofotch
I hope Ernst & Young, as part of their 2008 external audit takes a look at this. Within Delta's IT General Controls (ITGC), there should be controls designed adequatley and operating effectively surrounding their IT Project Development and Change Management methodologies. This is a Sarbanes-Oxley requirement. They must have controls to test major developments in a test environment, as well as get sign-off from management once they deem testing effective.
Ah yes, the beauty of regulations. Too bad Sarbanes-Oxley can't be expanded to be twice as intrusive! If Delta doesn't do a good enough job making their awards system appealing, it hurts their profits... it hardly qualifies as something the government should involve itself with.

Originally Posted by jfulcher
I'm in the IT field - I fully understand the issues that are happening here - DLWebDev does a fine job. His management on the other hand needs to be canned. They do a piss poor job.
Fair point, though I wouldn't go as far as saying they need to be canned. More beta testing might suffice.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 9:19 am

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
Truly a breakdown in the Delta IT System Development Lifecycle.

I hope Ernst & Young, as part of their 2008 external audit takes a look at this. Within Delta's IT General Controls (ITGC), there should be controls designed adequatley and operating effectively surrounding their IT Project Development and Change Management methodologies. This is a Sarbanes-Oxley requirement. They must have controls to test major developments in a test environment, as well as get sign-off from management once they deem testing effective.

This is certainly a demonstration of Delta's IT either not having a formal, effective IT Development methodology or not following the one that exists. Those controls should not pass effectiveness test sand likely have some design inadequacies too based on what we are seeing with this Award Calendar roll-out. Sadly, because it impacts 'miles redemption', and not 'dollars redemption', it probably wouldn't show up as a financial control weakness in their Annual Report as its more of an operational weakness.

As noted in these posts on this thread, this operational weakness is causing people to reconsider their loyalty to Delta.

My perception is that in management's cost benefit analysis of frustrating SkyMiles customers versus getting the SkyMiles liability off their books and increased marginal revenue, they are certainly choosing the latter at this time.
I am guessing that you are a fellow auditor, haha.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 9:52 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by mooper

Fair point, though I wouldn't go as far as saying they need to be canned. More beta testing might suffice.
This isn't the only rollout they've messed up. This is one of many.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by hsvflyer
In my opinion, I don't think I would worry too much about trying to respond to these threads, and put yourself in any jeopardy, I would just gather the feedback (which there is plenty), and use it to share with the appropriate folks, and make the changes necessary.
most of the time i would agree, and i do exactly as you recommend. in this case specifically though i disagree in the sense that staying silent is not the right thing to do. you read through the whole thread and get a sense that my coworkers and i are incompetent. none of the posts read like an attack on me, especially since many make a point to separate me out of the "fault group." it wouldn't matter if i was included as i'd rather be here taking insults while acknowledging the complaints & suggestions exists over silently lurking like i did for three years. its not pretty, but its a role that needs to be filled.

Originally Posted by Air Brian
Retorical; but why is the award calendar such a sensitive topic? Do their exist deceptive motives by DL behind the fact that its functionality clearly sucks?
no, its absolutely nothing close to that. its because discussions surrounding the calendar (or the award ticket application in general) usually turns into a discussion about the skymiles program. at that point it seems to go directly into opinions, so it makes it hard to have a discussion without having opinions about the program entering into it. for instance, i wrote the blog about the award ticket calendar to explain the difference in search methodologies (and why) between the calendar results and the itinerary results (select flights). while just being straight facts, it still generated discussions about the program policies and rules. so its sensitive to me because i should not (and will not) comment on the program policies. plus, those policies and rules are applied prior to my job duties dealing with the resulting data. the rules, etc are applied centrally so that the same rules and policies are applied across all channels (phone, web, etc). does all that make sense as to why its a sensitive topic? if not i am more than happy to try explaining again, but i hope this covers it.

This is certainly a demonstration of Delta's IT either not having a formal, effective IT Development methodology or not following the one that exists.
so that's now going to be my next blog. most likely it will go live while i'm on vacation (i leave next thursday), so following up in the comments will be hit or miss while overseas. i'm working through this weekend, so as part of that i will put together a fairly lengthy post regarding the development process and cycle. i'm also no longer going to allow myself any excuse for not providing at least one blog a week in regards to development. there is a lot of hypothesis here in regards to how things are developed, many of which are incorrect. hopefully that will start providing some "meat" for discussions. that also brings up the topic of the missing blog i linked. i did not remove it. in fact i was busy enough that i was unaware until after 4pm that it was no longer available. i didn't have a chance to think about removing the link and it wasn't until this morning that i even logged the time i worked on tuesday. on the bright side of leaving it, i did get a giggle out of the comments around the 404 error. i don't think everyone has that same sense of humor so i might have to edit the post later to not have the link. but then i'll have to come back and relink it as the blog post was "unpublished" and it should be back soon.

and fyi, sorry it took so long to make a more substantial post. i opted to use my lunch to follow up here. i would have quoted and commented on more posts but there's only so much time in the day.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 10:36 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Multi-city functionality still not working for me ("one or more flights just sold out" message). This is a long darned time for this not to work at all-- how many thousands of award flights are people trying to book right now without success? The message about why they're not successful is false, and I suspect is known to be false by DL.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 10:49 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by DeltaWebDev
no, its absolutely nothing close to that. its because discussions surrounding the calendar (or the award ticket application in general) usually turns into a discussion about the skymiles program. at that point it seems to go directly into opinions, so it makes it hard to have a discussion without having opinions about the program entering into it. for instance, i wrote the blog about the award ticket calendar to explain the difference in search methodologies (and why) between the calendar results and the itinerary results (select flights). while just being straight facts, it still generated discussions about the program policies and rules. so its sensitive to me because i should not (and will not) comment on the program policies. plus, those policies and rules are applied prior to my job duties dealing with the resulting data. the rules, etc are applied centrally so that the same rules and policies are applied across all channels (phone, web, etc). does all that make sense as to why its a sensitive topic? if not i am more than happy to try explaining again, but i hope this covers it.

I absolutely appreciate and applaud your high level of participation here. Sadly though, even if the technical hurdles are overcome and Delta going forward has the best booking system in the world, I am fearful that the Award policies are what's really going to drive me away from Delta after my current primary airline NW gets folded in with them.

Right now, it is so much trouble to use Delta's award booking process I mostly don't even mess with it - I can book trips soooo much more easily with my AA, UA (Caveat: UA is more reliably easy to use for North American travel), and NW (but getting worse there), and that's w/o having any status in either AA or UA.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 10:56 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by DeltaWebDev
...discussions surrounding the calendar (or the award ticket application in general) usually turns into a discussion about the skymiles program. at that point it seems to go directly into opinions, so it makes it hard to have a discussion without having opinions about the program entering into it.
I think it would be fair and productive if everyone in this forum agreed to not harass you nor even discuss the fees, mileage levels, and similar details of Skymiles in the interest of helping you and your team improve the technology by focusing on technical issues only. I will start by pledging to do my best to give you useful feedback on the site operation, exclusive of what it wants to charge me.

Getting the ball rolling... you've discussed multiple times that data parsing challenges and computing limitations that are behind some of the calendar accuracy issues. This is understandable. Now that the look an ease of use is pretty solid (I know some disagree, but its pretty clear that at the very least, they are reasonable), I'd suggest putting a lot of focus on that accuracy issue. Would it be worthwhile to examine how AA's calendar works in this respect, as it seems to be extremely accurate and user friendly at the same time? I presume they share many of the same computational and data constraints, and yet their system seems to deal with them accurately. Do you have any insight into their solutions, and if so, is there a way you could use them as guidance?

Last edited by mooper; Sep 26, 2008 at 11:02 am
Old Sep 26, 2008, 11:02 am

Programs: Delta PM, HH, CRC
good idea, i'm with that..

I've liked the new calendar what I've been able to see of it..

however, I get a lot of the "lets try that again" messages #7000 #7550 # 7005 when doing multi city searches, specific to BHM-FCO:VCE-BHM (what i've been searching anyway)...
Hope error #'s help, I can post them if I run into them and give the circumstances from which they occurred..

thanks webdev guy..
Old Sep 26, 2008, 11:44 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA, US, SW, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors
While this may be straying somewhat from the topic of the online award functionality, I for one would REALLY like to see a breakdown of the taxes/surcharges for these award tickets. I have a hard time with the "take our word for it" mentality. Show me what I'm actually paying for.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 12:49 pm

The price of the rt fight to Hawaii I looked for this summer went down from 70k to on 65k now at the new Medium level.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 8:59 am

Delta forgot to increase ?

Looks like delta forgot to increase mileage requirements for award flights in September, 50000 mile tickets still available to europe.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
If that was true, I am sure that they would be quite appreciative of you tipping them off to the fact so they could correct their error.

Hint... start brain before starting typing
Old Sep 27, 2008, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Is That You?

Originally Posted by phundoo
Looks like delta forgot to increase mileage requirements for award flights in September, 50000 mile tickets still available to europe.
Were you the kid in my 6th grade class, who at the end of the day asked the teacher, "Is there any homework?"
Old Sep 27, 2008, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AMEX MR, BA, DL, SPG, UA, US, Hyatt Platinum
I am still having trouble with the award calendar

I am searching for low mileage flights from Washington DC to Bangkok.
This is NOT working

Last edited by whynotgo; Sep 28, 2008 at 4:05 pm Reason: correct post
Old Sep 27, 2008, 5:33 pm

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by whynotgo
The calendar does not work.
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.