Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Three-Tier System/Award Calendar In Effect

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2008, 8:32 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, CO, HH, PP
Originally Posted by psychtobe
definitely 60k RT to Europe. PDX-MXP in Nov is wide open in 'low' - but it's 60k plus $162 in taxes/fees. Wasn't the 'low' tier supposed to offer a fare even lower than the old standard?
Nope
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:03 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
This whole spin directs the subject of the conversation to the technical tool and its problems rather than focus on what is the fundamental issue: this 3-tier system and the fees associated with award redemptions as of the past couple of months represent a vehicle for a massive SkyMiles devaluation.

DL now has the highest possible mileage and money requirements to redeem an award ticket of any US airline frequent flyer program. That wasn't the case a few months ago and there is no getting around that is where DL has lead SkyMiles these past several months using any and every excuse under the sun -- excuses that DL apologists will buy and sell but that informed consumers ought not to fall for.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 2:02 pm

Programs: Southwest A-list, Hiltonhonors Diamond, Delta, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum,
it seems like all the airlines are raising the requirements for free flights.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by srittle001
Some more than others -- DL has raised the costs (in miles and money) substantially more than the other programs which I use for my flights.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by srittle001
and real $ costs too (DL is the most egregious with this).....domestic internet booked award flights were 25K + $10, now 25K + $43-59 depending on number of segments
Old Oct 21, 2008, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lls138
and real $ costs too (DL is the most egregious with this).....domestic internet booked award flights were 25K + $10, now 25K + $43-59 depending on number of segments
.... add in a $25 non-refundable fee if you happen to include soon to be DL's NW flights or CO flights on many of those same itineraries.

This "partner award booking fee" is money that even DL Platinums do not get back if cancelling or changing an award ticket.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 7:38 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GUWonder
This whole spin directs the subject of the conversation to the technical tool and its problems rather than focus on what is the fundamental issue: this 3-tier system and the fees associated with award redemptions as of the past couple of months represent a vehicle for a massive SkyMiles devaluation.

DL now has the highest possible mileage and money requirements to redeem an award ticket of any US airline frequent flyer program. That wasn't the case a few months ago and there is no getting around that is where DL has lead SkyMiles these past several months using any and every excuse under the sun -- excuses that DL apologists will buy and sell but that informed consumers ought not to fall for.
That is one of my bigger fears with the merger. Plus now they will have even more people trying to cash in rewards.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 8:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by scassett
Nope
my error - the new medium is supposed to be lower than the old non-saver award, right?
Old Oct 21, 2008, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by GUWonder
DL now has the highest possible mileage and money requirements to redeem an award ticket of any US airline frequent flyer program.
Plenty of other airlines require 25K miles for domestic coach.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by mooper
Plenty of other airlines require 25K miles for domestic coach.
That wasn't what he was referring to.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 9:06 am

Programs: Delta PM, HH, CRC
I cant even get the thing to direct me to the calendar on multi-city.. makes me select dates and sticks with it..

really annoyed..
Old Oct 23, 2008, 4:46 pm

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Delta DM
I just booked 2 BIZ Elite to Spain next year for 100,000 each, multi city.
Arriving BCN departing MAD. I did it all in just about 8 minutes, no problems
that I saw.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 2:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, LA, WN, SPG Plat, MR Gold
I'm not sure if there's a definitive Award Calendar ranting thread, but man could it suck any more?

1. The fact that multicity (for me at least) doesn't show the lowest available but reverts to searching by schedule stinks. How do I select business/coach for each flight in multicity?

2. The fact that when I search the calendar, I select two greens (one business outbound, one coach inbound) and it returns both business (one at a higher rate) is driving me crazy. If there is a green for the cabin I choose, then show it!!

3. Overall, I'm just disgusted by the lack of transparency. I see the lowest number of Skymiles, not whether or not a flight is LOW/MED/HIGH. So, when I see something that isn't 50k or 100k, I'm left to guess and figure out how the system came up with the price. That and the whole non-mainland departures "Awards not originating or terminating in the Continental US, Alaska, or Canada often require more mileage." What BS. Especially considering you used to publish a chart.

Ranting over. Sorry.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
As a NW elite trying to digest the lay of the land when NW institutes the three-tier calendar come January 15 and later finds itself entirely under the DL umbrella, I am absolutely befuddled by what I am seeing when I run a sample search on delta.com.

As an exercise, I chose ATL-GIG, looking for one seat, round-trip, in business class. The award chart for "Southern South America" indicates that the "low" price is 50,000 miles each way for what should be a total of 100,000 round-trip. But when I pick a sample outbound of January 15 and a return of January 19 -- a combination with both flights supposedly available at the "low" level according to the calendar -- DL quotes me a price of 150,000 miles. An outbound of May 28 with a return of June 9 yields an even higher cost of 200,000 miles even with both flights supposedly offered at the "low" level. So, what's the use of a three-tiered structure if the actual mileage requirements bear little or no resemblance to what is supposedly offered at each tier?
* The actual award inventory purportedly available at the "low" level -- whatever mileage cost that actually may be -- is no less disturbing, but that's less of a shock to me. Between February and November 2009, the DL award calendar shows only 16 outbound dates and three inbound dates in business class at the amorphous "low" level. No single month has both outbound and inbound award inventory at the low level. February has one outbound date and zero returns; March and April are zeros both ways; May has three outbound dates, but no returns; June and July have no outbound seats and one return date; August has a fairly robust seven outbound dates, but no returns; September has four outbound dates and no returns; October has two outbound dates, but no returns; and November has no outbound dates with one return.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL GM
welcome to our world of 3-tier frustration, SAT lawyer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.