Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Three-Tier System/Award Calendar In Effect

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2008, 10:49 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, HH Diamond, AA EXP, VS Gold, BAEC Silver, Global Entry, UK RT
Originally Posted by pattermj
Well this is the first time I can claim to be annoyed with skymiles. I have been trying to get enough miles for a RT to athens with the GF first class and actually had dates and everything that would work and now they made this change. While in theory nothing major should have changed it appears they have made the international flights nearly all medium or above level (when before just 3 days ago half were low). Also even when searching the lows for possible new dates the lowest RT I could find was costing 150k compared to the 100k. Can anyone here at all find dates from IAH to ATH that actually cost their 'low' value? This isn't for my use I am just wondering if they actually exist now.

Quite annoyed and definitely thinking of switching over to AA/Con
I feel your pain! I have been searching for BE SkySaver fares to Europe too and coming up empty. Today's "low miles option" was 375,000 miles per ticket...unbelievable.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 10:55 am

Programs: DL DM-1MM
i do like the new calendar

but when you see 'LOW' i wish the mileage returned was actually 'LOW'. 32,500 and 40,000 seem to qualify all the time as the Lowest redeemable values when i've been searching lately. 32,500 isn't awful by any means, but it isn't quite what i've been expecting.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 10:58 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Bu.. bu... but the email I got this morning from DL announcing the new three-tier program said they issued a whole "150,000" award tickets during "peak" travel periods during 2007. Assuming 4,000 daily flights, and 10 "peak" travel days, that's a whole 4 people per flight.

The new program is bad, bad, bad....
Old Oct 17, 2008, 11:04 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, HH Diamond, AA EXP, VS Gold, BAEC Silver, Global Entry, UK RT
The ironic thing is that I am checking in the "off-season" for Europe but I guess that does not make a difference to DL.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 11:27 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
all the more reason to make gold this year... then status match to CO. The 3 tier program is gonna be horrible... Glad I burned 400k NW miles before the junk fees went in and the merger goes through.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by fabulousflygirl
The ironic thing is that I am checking in the "off-season" for Europe but I guess that does not make a difference to DL.
DL wants to separate you from your miles as fast as possible and guarantee you the great opportunity of getting a bad deal compared to the competition.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
So let's add it up. We have devalued skymiles, ridiculous new award fees, and a deceitful three-tier award system, all complemented by an award calendar that usually doesn't work.
Thanks, Delta, for taking such great care of your loyal customers.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by donlind
So let's add it up. We have devalued skymiles, ridiculous new award fees, and a deceitful three-tier award system, all complemented by an award calendar that usually doesn't work.
Perhaps the customers will show their loyalty in return.

I'm on AA for my next trip to the west coast.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by donlind

I believe that they've added additional tiers, not taken away the lower ones. If a low/saver award isn't available now, it wouldn't have been under the old structure either. Also, on a CPM basis, I am seeing much higher values per mile than year or two ago. Not sure how you've concluded devaluation, and it is even more confusing why you assert it is deceitful.

If the award fees are "ridiculous" and the airlines are unable to raise prices effectively because of the inherently slow process of reducing over-capacity, how do you propose they increase revenues to return to profitability?

The award calendar clearly has issues, including where it will show "low" but no "low" option is selectable when you proceed. DeltaWebDev has posted that they are working on this and that it is challenging with the data demands. Certainly frustrating though.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
Originally Posted by mooper
Not sure how you've concluded devaluation, and it is even more confusing why you assert it is deceitful.
Not sure why it's confusing, but perhaps the explanation is that some Skymilers are more easily deceived than others.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 3:17 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Diamond, *wood plat, UA 1kc
Originally Posted by mooper

The award calendar clearly has issues, including where it will show "low" but no "low" option is selectable when you proceed. DeltaWebDev has posted that they are working on this and that it is challenging with the data demands. Certainly frustrating though.
It should have been fixed before it was deployed. No excuse for such bush-league stuff.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by RealDLInsider
Hi everyone.

As you know, we’re in the process of implementing our new three-tiered SkyMiles Award redemption structure. We’re in the soft-launch phase, which includes making the necessary technology updates at delta.com.

As you also know, we’ve experienced a few glitches along the way. With new technology, it often takes time to ensure things are up and running exactly as they should be. Know that we value your business. We’re working quickly to resolve the issues we’ve encountered; and we’re listening to all of the feedback you’re sharing with us along the way.

We want you to know that with the new Award structure you’ll find you have more flexibility and more options when you’re redeeming miles for Award travel. And, with last-seat Award availability, any unsold seat on the plane is yours.

We’re making a change that I truly believe will benefit you, our most valued customers, and I thank you for your patience as well roll out the new program. As always, I appreciate your feedback. We’re listening.

Jeff

And....
Two weeks later and not one apparent change (or correction) has been made. Come on now...

You have announced lie-flat seats on LHR flights as "Elite fliers demand it". What about flyers cashing in their miles on-line.....by definition, most of us are elite.

...Well lets make that three weeks later......and if anything the situation is worse. You literally, if you have the time...can spend hours searching for the right combination, if you can even get that far. Still get error messages galour, just like the first few days, and searching for international......you don't even get the calendar function (which is useless anyway) half the time. It just goes straight to flight selections (on the cost method), and of course, the schedule method.....who knows what you will get, it is like reaching down in a barrel to see what you might pull out.

Guess I have vented enough....for what it is worth. Apparently all goes on deaf ears. Very, very frustrating. You would think Delta would be able to resolve at least some of this by now. Even a little. One can always hope.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Deceitfulness is evident in denying that the three-tier award system is a vehicle for a massive SkyMiles devaluation.

The 2008 Award for Fleecing the Frequent Flyer goes to Delta SkyMiles.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 3:59 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by hsvflyer
Originally Posted by RealDLInsider
Hi everyone.

As you know, we’re in the process of implementing our new three-tiered SkyMiles Award redemption structure. We’re in the soft-launch phase, which includes making the necessary technology updates at delta.com.

As you also know, we’ve experienced a few glitches along the way. With new technology, it often takes time to ensure things are up and running exactly as they should be. Know that we value your business. We’re working quickly to resolve the issues we’ve encountered; and we’re listening to all of the feedback you’re sharing with us along the way.

We want you to know that with the new Award structure you’ll find you have more flexibility and more options when you’re redeeming miles for Award travel. And, with last-seat Award availability, any unsold seat on the plane is yours.

We’re making a change that I truly believe will benefit you, our most valued customers, and I thank you for your patience as well roll out the new program. As always, I appreciate your feedback. We’re listening.

Jeff

And....
Two weeks later and not one apparent change (or correction) has been made. Come on now...

You have announced lie-flat seats on LHR flights as "Elite fliers demand it". What about flyers cashing in their miles on-line.....by definition, most of us are elite.

...Well lets make that three weeks later......and if anything the situation is worse. You literally, if you have the time...can spend hours searching for the right combination, if you can even get that far. Still get error messages galour, just like the first few days, and searching for international......you don't even get the calendar function (which is useless anyway) half the time. It just goes straight to flight selections (on the cost method), and of course, the schedule method.....who knows what you will get, it is like reaching down in a barrel to see what you might pull out.

Guess I have vented enough....for what it is worth. Apparently all goes on deaf ears. Very, very frustrating. You would think Delta would be able to resolve at least some of this by now. Even a little. One can always hope.
Thanks for quoting me....but there is NO LAST SEAT AVAILABILITY AS PROMISED....search yourself......no PHL-SAN award seats in october.

I fly delta because i am a schmuck......but someday i will wake up. for what it is worth, got my first SW award ticket booked.....signs of my future.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I know the Freddies are about awarding the best in the industry, but I'd like to see some worst category awards. Finally, something DL would win!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.