Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Delta Reserve card from American Express.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2008, 8:56 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
The best way to demonstrate the dilutive effect of this offer on BIS mile earners is by looking at the existing Skymiles AmEx. My family owns 3 of these; I will make PM, my wife and daughter will make FO. Without these cards, neither my wife nor my daughter would have status; I would still make PM but only because of the double MQM offer-- another dilutive promotion. So you could make the case that I might be sitting in your PM first class seat on at least one of the dozen or so flights I take in a year. My wife and daughter are less of an issue for upgrades; maybe they'll be waiting in a priority security line ahead of you.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
Originally Posted by DiverDave
I wonder who will issue the card? Given Delta's relationship with Amex, I would bet heavily that it will be an Amex of some flavor.

David
It is an Amex. I heard about it last week from an Amex CSR. I wanted to convert my Blue to a Delta. When he checked, the system would only allow a product trade to another Blue, Clear or Delta Reserve - which had not yet been introduced. I asked about this card, but he knew very little about it (he hadn't been trained on this card product yet). He did try to get some information and found that it's $450/yr and you get MQM's with certain spend levels and would be available probably in the next month or so.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 11:08 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
Originally Posted by troyb
I can't emphasize the opposite enough. If someone who would have had no status but has earned PM by using this card is on YOUR flight then you are now fighting them for your upgrade. In this example, no credit card, no PM status, no upgrade competition. I understand the argument that someone who earns their status via a non-BIS method will not actually fly as much as those who earn their status BIS, but when they do fly, the increased competition is there.
i'm with you on this one. imagine i can buy up to GM or PM for a decent price (i'm ZM right now-zero medallion, my 3K MQMs this year haven't got me very far). this would probably push all of my flying to DL, from SWA or the occasional CO. The extra miles I would earn, along with the possibility of an UG to 1st would be enough to take me from 1-2 DL flights a year to probably something like 12-20...multiply this by everyone else who takes them up on this offer...
Old Apr 10, 2008, 11:20 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Delta Reserve Application
10K MQM signup bonus.
15K bonus MQM per $30K spend.
Max 30K MQM spending bonus/calendar year.

Last edited by ctownflyer; Apr 10, 2008 at 11:26 am
Old Apr 10, 2008, 11:37 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Looks like it's a business card. Here's the bennies.

# Earn up to 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after your first purchase
# Unparalleled Built-in Miles BoostSM — earn up to 30,000 MQMs and 30,000 bonus miles
# Complimentary Crown Room Club® access for you and two guests
# Free* annual domestic companion certificate, which can be used for a First-Class or Coach-Class ticket
# Access to American Express® Concierge Services — consultants are available 24 hours a day
# Pay with Miles — pay for all or part of any eligible Delta flight with your miles
# Save 5% on all flights purchased directly from Delta
Old Apr 10, 2008, 12:21 pm

Upgrades from a Platinum Delta SkyMiles Business Credit Card to a Delta Reserve for Business Credit Card will receive 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles. This offer is valid for first-time Delta SkyMiles Credit Cardmembers only. If you already have or had any other Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express account(s), you are eligible to receive only the incremental difference between the Welcome Bonus miles offered herein and the amount offered with such other account(s)

The close of the calendar year is December 31, without regard to the time of the year that the account is opened. If in any calendar year your Eligible Spending on your Delta Reserve for Business Credit Card is $30,000 or more, you will be awarded 15,000 Bonus Miles and 15,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs). The 15,000 MQMs are not redeemable and only count toward Medallion status. The MQMs are yours to keep or gift to someone else, and if in that same calendar year your Eligible Spending on your Delta Reserve for Business Credit Card is $60,000 or more, you will be awarded 15,000 Bonus Miles and 15,000 MQMs. The MQMs are yours to keep or gift to someone else. MQM gift recipients must have a valid SkyMiles account. If within 90 days you do not elect to designate an MQM recipient, the MQMs will be deposited in your SkyMiles account.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
I suppose it is good news that the MQM's aren't unlimited. I wonder if this can be combined with the other DL AMEX cards for additional MQM's. Either way, it's not as bad as I originally suspected, but its still a cut to the Medallion program.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by troyb
I suppose it is good news that the MQM's aren't unlimited. I wonder if this can be combined with the other DL AMEX cards for additional MQM's. Either way, it's not as bad as I originally suspected, but its still a cut to the Medallion program.
The way I read it is that you can combine this with the regular Delta business platinum to get potentially 65K MQM in the first year.

You can't however get the MQM's from 2 delta reserve cards.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 12:26 pm

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Interesting that they stipulate the first 15k MQMs are not redeemable. Not that MQMs ever have been redeemable, but the 10k MQM "miles boosts" on the current Platinum Skymiles cards do come with 10k Skymiles as well, even though that's not a published benefit.

The application page posted above is down right now. What's the annual fee on this card?
Old Apr 11, 2008, 12:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by DiverDave
# Save 5% on all flights purchased directly from Delta
That's a pretty significant feature there.

The Amex Open Network cards currently offer 3% savings on Delta.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 12:44 pm

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
That's a pretty significant feature there.

The Amex Open Network cards currently offer 3% savings on Delta.
Yeah, but the Delta branded business Amex adds another 2%, so this benefit does not improve over the existing card.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 4:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, AA Plat Pro/LT Plat
Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets
Interesting that they stipulate the first 15k MQMs are not redeemable. Not that MQMs ever have been redeemable, but the 10k MQM "miles boosts" on the current Platinum Skymiles cards do come with 10k Skymiles as well, even though that's not a published benefit.

The application page posted above is down right now. What's the annual fee on this card?
$450

I interpreted it as the first 15K MQMs also come with 15K spendable miles but if you choose to gift the 15K MQMs, the gift is MQMs only, not spendable miles.

If in any calendar year your Eligible Spending on your Delta Reserve for Business Credit Card is $30,000 or more, you will be awarded 15,000 Bonus Miles and 15,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs). The 15,000 MQMs are not redeemable and only count toward Medallion status. The MQMs are yours to keep or gift to someone else
Old Apr 13, 2008, 8:45 am

Here's some more info from the Amex site:
http://www201.americanexpress.com/ap.../20/n&from=102
Old Apr 13, 2008, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by mtparadis
Here's some more info from the Amex site:
http://www201.americanexpress.com/ap.../20/n&from=102
NO NO NO NO NO... This is a step backwards. This ONLY gives CRC access and NOT membership.

...Complimentary access is only for Delta Crown Room Clubs. Codeshare partner and other alliance partner lounges are not included...
That means, I assume you don't get access to Elite Security Lines (if not a GM or PM) as mentioned in CRC membership.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
NO NO NO NO NO... This is a step backwards. This ONLY gives CRC access and NOT membership.

That means, I assume you don't get access to Elite Security Lines (if not a GM or PM) as mentioned in CRC membership.
So if it just CRC access and not membership, I suppose that doesn't include free T Mobile internet as well?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.