Advice on flying Delta First Class to Honolulu

Old Feb 21, 2008, 7:11 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by merc1286
Thanks everyone! You've definitely helped to put my mind at ease.
Welcome to Flyertalk, merc1286. Congratulations on your forthcoming marriage. Sit back and enjoy the ride in the FC section of DL.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL PM,1MM
Originally Posted by jimquan
I just flew to HNL in Delta F.

All I can say is lower your expectations and you'll be fine. The seating is marginally better than economy. Yes, there is AVOD. The level of service is a far cry even from economy to Honolulu ten to fifteen years ago. This is not a knock on the wonderful, competent FAs. The single meal is so so. Don't expect any prelanding snack. The Sun chips and cheese crackars flow freely. Don't expect Mai Tais.
I've flown to HNL thru SLC, ATL, & LAX in FC. Only difference on the ATL nonstop is no 7E&F, hot fudge sundaes for dessert, and an additional "snack" prior to landing (sandwich/chips). It's better than it was in bankruptcy, but I've noticed it seems easier for the FA to pass around a basket w/water it than actually ask you if you want something else to drink later in the flight after meal service. If you ask they provide, so keep that in mind. Its funny but I've had a lot better FC experience on MD-90's and 737's on hops from SLC-west coast than on the HNL flights.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 8:13 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, IC Plat AMB
DL F/C to Hawaii may not be the best seat and service in the airline world, but it is better than any Y or E+ out there, and when you arrive you will not remember any of the negatives pointed out in other posts. (YMMV, but do I have over 100 trips to HI over the past 25 years, on virtually airline flying in that time) I do try to book through SLC just for 7E&F though.
The tip about arranging leis for the first timers to Hawaii is spot on, try to get 10-15 strands of pikake for the bride, it will be some of the best money spent on your trip. Congrats on you marriage.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by phatpaw
Are you on a 764 from ATL-HNL-ATL? If so, try to secure 7e & 7f. You'll have plenty of leg room.
Those seats will be blocked on long range flights for crew rests.

I agtee with others, go CO via EWR or NW via MSP.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 10:10 pm

Programs: DL PM,1MM
My partner just returned on the HNL-SLC flight last pm. That flight is usually from the inbound ATL-HNL flight. From talking w/him it sounds like they substituted an international 764 on the route last pm at the last minute. He'd checked in online and then had his 7F FC seat reassigned once at the gate.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks again all. One more question now; a bunch of people have talked about "arranging" for lei's at the airport.. how is that done? Is that through Delta?
Old Feb 22, 2008, 1:02 pm

Programs: Recovering Delta SkyMiles Addict--Now Gold with AAdvantage
Google "Honolulu Airport Lei Service" and you will get links to several companies providing someone to greet you and your bride with leis. (Yes, men here often wear them, too.) A range of services are offered, with some just providing leis and others helping with luggage, transfer, or other arrangements which may or may not be useful to you. Leis with pikake, puakinikini, and white plumeria are very fragrant. HNL airport vendors of this sort are pretty well screened, so you should be OK with the ones that have someone waiting with your name on a sign near the arrival gate. I wish I could recommend a specific company, but we residents rarely use these sevices. Aloha nui loa, and may you have much happiness in your marriage.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 9:06 pm

Programs: DL PM .313 MM & CRC, AA .453 MM, HH Silver, Priority Club, Fairmont President's Club
My partner and I are on DL885 on March 8, a direct ATL-HNL flight with a stop in LAX. We followed SeatGuru's advice and snagged 7E/F. We return on March 19 on DL 1282, a n/s to ATL, and 7E/F aren't available, so we took 7A/B.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 6:04 am

Programs: DELTA PM, CO Platinum, PLAT AMEX
Redeposit Your Miles And Go Continental. I Have Flown Both Dl And Co, And Co Out Classes Them By Far, The Be Seats Are A Little Old, But Very Comfortable. The Food Is Way Better On Co As Well.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 6:06 am

Programs: DELTA PM, CO Platinum, PLAT AMEX
Oh Yeah, Isnt Hawaiian Airlines A Partner Now? I Heard Their Service Is Pretty Nice, But Not As Good As Co.

Dl
Old May 19, 2008, 4:14 pm

Programs: IHG SE, Bonvoy Plat, DL Plat, UA PPlat, EK Gold
Mr. DCFFlyer and I decided to head to HNL for a getaway. It's been more than five years since I've been to Hawaii and I remember how much I hated the standard first configuration on such a long flight. After reading postings here, I was THRILLED to find 7 E&F available on a 767-400 ER ATL-HNL for both legs of our trip, so naturally I nabbed them. Apparently it was a mistake because a few weeks ago we were reassigned to the worst seats in the cabin. By the time I discovered this all of the better seats were long gone.

Calling Delta didn't really get me anywhere-which I figured going in. After all it's Delta's plane. Still, I was amazed at how readily some of the agents would lie to me when I asked them what happened. It seems 6 E&F and 7 E&F are blocked on ATL-HNL flights.

I'm kicking myself for not going with CO.

Bottom line here is if you are lucky enough to have 7 E&F for ATL-HNL, check your seating frequently so you don't end up reassigned in a bulkhead seat.
Old May 19, 2008, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Heck, if 7EF aren't available I will immediately look for bulkheads. Nothing wrong with them.
Old May 19, 2008, 8:05 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by DCFFlyer
I'm kicking myself for not going with CO.
You're a Delta Plat. You can cancel without a redeposit fee, and rebook on-line with Continental using Delta miles if you can find seats. (Which is the trick, after all.) Or look on continental.com for standard reward availability, then call Delta to book but that would run $50 per ticket.

Other decent options are routing HNL-SLC (7E/7F are available), or HNL-MSP on NW if you can get availability on the A330. (I have the latter booked for later this year! Did it on-line, no extra fees.)

You can pretty much guarantee that if you somehow get 7E/7F between ATL and HNL, that you will lose those seats.

David
Old May 20, 2008, 12:07 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I'm actually booked in 7F for SLC-HNL in July..
i know there is a way to make the seat recline more, but i dont know how...
anyone care to shed some light on the secret?
Old May 20, 2008, 7:30 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, United Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by ianturner
I'm actually booked in 7F for SLC-HNL in July..
i know there is a way to make the seat recline more, but i dont know how...
anyone care to shed some light on the secret?
There is a little black lever toward the back of the armrest. I believe it lifts up and allows the seat to recline more. A few times but it took several tries to recline the seat because the lever was tricky to use.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.