Search

Help with DL military fares please

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2008, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5 Star Gold
Question Help with DL military fares please

Happy New Year everyone!

I just learned through the SMS desk that I qualify for Delta's military fares. In the example she quoted me (LEX to MGM roundtrip) the fare dropped from like $469 to $156, so it's certainly something I want to look into ASAP.

However, she was not familiar enough with the program to elaborate. She did confirm with her supervisor that I qualify, since as a retiree I carry a military ID card with me. She also did confirm that it cannot be booked online - I call, they book over the phone, and I show my ID card and pay at the airport. That's fine with me as well.

But the area that is unclear is that it is defined "by market". OK, so LEX - MGM is a market they offer, but she did not know if that meant all flights, some flights, all seats, some seats, etc.

So, before I put everyone to a lot of trouble trying to book fares/routes that may not exist, I thought I'd come here first to see if anyone has any experience at this. Thanks folks!
Old Jan 1, 2008, 9:52 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
If I recall correctly, there are additional requirements which vary by fare, market, etc. Such as having to travel in uniform and/or be on active duty and/or present valid orders. I do not believe that leisure or nonmilitary business travel by veterans is eligible ... but could be in error.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 10:02 am

i had a friend that got the military fare and he had to go out to the airport to get his ticket. they couldnt do it over the phone because they had to see his id.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 10:52 am

Programs: AA Gold,DL Gold
You do need miltary ID to book a military fare but you must be on active duty. Retired miltary personnel do not qualify.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Pharaoh
I do not believe that leisure or nonmilitary business travel by veterans is eligible ... but could be in error.
You are correct. But again, to clarify, it's not veterans per se it's retirees. In other words, we are still card carrying members of the military community. A veteran may or may not be.

I'll keep digging.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Got the answer. Thanks anyway.

Seems the nice lady missed one important point. You need a GREEN military ID card. Which is kind of funny, because I think the color coded days are gone.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 11:08 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
Originally Posted by LEX-LGA Commuter
You are correct. But again, to clarify, it's not veterans per se it's retirees. In other words, we are still card carrying members of the military community. A veteran may or may not be.

I'll keep digging.
Does your CAC card look exactly like an Active Duty CAC? If so, I don't think DL could tell the difference and would allow you to book military fares, upon showing your ID.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 11:23 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold

Seems the nice lady missed one important point. You need a GREEN military ID card. Which is kind of funny, because I think the color coded days are gone.
So the implication is that the fare does not apply for retirees? Retiree IDs are still green(ish).
Old Jan 1, 2008, 11:28 am

Military Ids aren't green anymore. But that isn't the issue.

The airlines/public transportation policy
is that military fares are for ACTIVE DUTY personnel, under orders
or on leave. Period. Reserves and retirees are NOT eligible
generally.

Old Jan 1, 2008, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Originally Posted by Krakajax

Military Ids aren't green anymore. But that isn't the issue.

The airlines/public transportation policy
is that military fares are for ACTIVE DUTY personnel, under orders
or on leave. Period. Reserves and retirees are NOT eligible
generally.

Nor should we be. True, my ID is green-ish, but it also says "Retired" right in the front.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 10:57 am

Programs: DL Employee
Hi

Military Fares can now be book over the phone, and ticketed over the phone.
Just ask for the Military Desk

Delta Military Ticketing Enhancement (updated 12/6/07)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
December 6, 2007

Background

Delta’s Military Leave program currently requires that military personnel and their eligible family members must present a valid military ID/ Orders to be ticketed at the FTO/CTO/Travel Agency within 24 hours.

Note: Military retirees and inactive members of the military reserves are not eligible for the military leave fare. Military leave fares are for active military personnel and active duty reservists on leave or for their spouse and children.

Overview
Effective November 15, 2007, when a frontline Res rep receives a call from a customer for a domestic Delta Military Leave Fare, the rep must advise the customer, he will be required to provide the following qualifying documents at the airport before check-in in order to travel. The fare selected may have additional qualifications such as ticketing within 24 hours of booking.

The required documents for travel are:

Military personnel:
Military ID
Military Leave Orders / Weekend Pass / Leave Pass
Military dependents (spouse or dependent children):
Proof of relationship - military dependent ID

Action Required
Once the Res Reps have assured the traveler can provide the qualifying documents, the customer must be transferred to the Military Leave Desk line at xxxxx for booking and ticketing the reservation. Blind transfer after the prompts. This toll free number is for internal use only; do not give out to the customer.

Military Leave Desk hours of operation: 0600 – 0200 EST.

Note: Only the Military Leave Desk will have the capability to issue domestic Military Leave fare tickets. There are audits in place to prevent unauthorized reps from issuing tickets for military leave fares. All domestic calls must be transferred to the Military Leave Desk for handling.

Indicators on the PNR will require Airport Customer Service agents to verify Military ID/Orders before they can check in the customer.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Originally Posted by dd992emo
Nor should we be. True, my ID is green-ish, but it also says "Retired" right in the front.
I suppose one might say that BLUE retired military ID cards are "green-ish" if one wants to speak in relative terms. That's like saying that red is "purple-ish"!

Active duty personnel these days now carry a white card with an embedded microchip. The card has a vertical orientation and does not resemble the green, red, grey or blue ID cards.

In any event, the fare, as already clarified, does NOT apply to retired military personnel.
-
Old Jan 2, 2008, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
i used to get the military fares all the time, still do and really like the new military desk, they seem to give lower fares than before the desk existed. You have to go to the airport and show your ACTIVE DUTY ID within 24 hours of booking the ticket over the phone. Fares are crazy cheap too.

What i read was that dependants can fly for the fares too? So my wife could travel on a military fare with me when we go somewhere? If so, that is new to me, and awesome!
Old Jan 3, 2008, 12:53 am

Programs: DL Employee
actually the way the MIL Desk is setup now

you can pay for the ticket over the phone, no longer putting on hold or going to airport within 24hrs.

You just have to show MIL ID on day of dept. See rules above in prev post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.