Wiki Posts
Search

First Class to/from MDT

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2007, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, USAirways Gold, HH Silver, Marriott Silver
First Class to/from MDT

I recently noticed that NW, US and UA have first class service to/from MDT (Harrisburg, PA). Nice to see something other than regional jets at MDT. Anyone have any info about any DL plans to fly bigger planes to/from MDT?Wouldn't that be nice.........At 6'2", 250+, squeezing into row 8 on the RJs is fun.

Oh wait, I could just make a resolution to lose weight. Happy New Year all...

Last edited by justdonating; Jan 1, 2008 at 12:58 am
Old Dec 31, 2007, 7:22 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
Originally Posted by justdonating
I recently noticed that NW, US and UA have first class service to/from MDT (Harrisburg, PA). Nice to sear something other than regional jets at MDT. Anyone have any info about any DL plans to fly bigger planes to/from MDT?Wouldn't that be nice.........At 6'2", 250+, squeezing into row 8 on the RJs is fun.

i guess i'll be getting in line with you to lose some weight
Old Jan 1, 2008, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver, PC Diamond
I recently noticed that NW, US and UA have first class service to/from MDT (Harrisburg, PA). Nice to see something other than regional jets at MDT. Anyone have any info about any DL plans to fly bigger planes to/from MDT?Wouldn't that be nice.........At 6'2", 250+, squeezing into row 8 on the RJs is fun.

Somehow I really dont see DL doing this. Wouldnt make sense on the 1hr flight to CVG (CO even downgraded their flights to CLE to the prop plane...thats ended my flying on CO) and I used to fly MDT-->ATL-->ICT...DL started MD service with 6:00am (ATL/ICT leg) departing last year...I think it only lasted a few months (same approx 1.5/2hr flight timing as MDT-->ATL). Just doesnt seem like something their interested in in some of these markets (as much as I'd love to have anything but the CRJ - even though only 5'7").
Old Jan 1, 2008, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nym1
Somehow I really dont see DL doing this. Wouldnt make sense on the 1hr flight to CVG (CO even downgraded their flights to CLE to the prop plane...thats ended my flying on CO) and I used to fly MDT-->ATL-->ICT...DL started MD service with 6:00am (ATL/ICT leg) departing last year...I think it only lasted a few months (same approx 1.5/2hr flight timing as MDT-->ATL). Just doesnt seem like something their interested in in some of these markets (as much as I'd love to have anything but the CRJ - even though only 5'7").
I hear what you're saying, but how does United and NW justify it with 2 hour flights. Oh well, wishful thinking anyway. I wish I didn't hate United so much and NW just really isn't better than DL. USAirways, lets not even discuss it.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver, PC Diamond
I hear what you're saying, but how does United and NW justify it with 2 hour flights. Oh well, wishful thinking anyway. I wish I didn't hate United so much and NW just really isn't better than DL. USAirways, lets not even discuss it.
What? - You dont like 30 minute prop-plane flights to Philadelphia??? OR boarding in Zone 7 on a flight to CHA with no status on US/UA just to fly the 737?

I just wish MDT management would pony-up and get back into trying to seduce a discount carrier to come into one of the many empty gates so DL might consider matching and I could fly from MDT personal rather than just Business.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 9:57 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nym1
What? - You dont like 30 minute prop-plane flights to Philadelphia??? OR boarding in Zone 7 on a flight to CHA with no status on US/UA just to fly the 737?

I just wish MDT management would pony-up and get back into trying to seduce a discount carrier to come into one of the many empty gates so DL might consider matching and I could fly from MDT personal rather than just Business.
The issue is not MDT's management. in 2006 MDT had a commitment from Airtran to start MDT-ATL service. Sadly Airtran pulled out at the last minute. MDT is working feverishly to add LCC service but they are not getting any bites. WN does charter flights from MDT to MCO several times a year but that's it. WN is unlikely to start MDT service at it would cannibalize their operations at BWI and PHL. The same can be said for most other LCCs as well. Transmeridian flew from MDT to Orlando Sanford until they tanked.

Given the capacity reductions DL is undertaking in domestic markets I cannot see them increasing capacity at MDT. DL has not had mainline service at MDT in years. Best we could hope for is an RJ with a FC cabin.

Most MDT flights (excepts US flights to LGA, PIT and BOS) are feeder flights to a hub which is why UA, US and NW can justify mainline flights at certain times of the day (AM and PM rush hours) to certain hubs. CO has not had a major presence at MDT in years. AA added a MDT-DFW flight last year which is apparently doing very well (if you don't mind three hours in an RJ).

It's really a shame that things are the way they are at MDT. The market for MDT is 2+ million people and the new terminal is phenominal for an airport its size and its so much more convenient than BWI or PHL. Sadly, ATL-MDT flights are still over $1,000 even with 21-day advanced purchase on DL.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
The issue is not MDT's management. in 2006 MDT had a commitment from Airtran to start MDT-ATL service. Sadly Airtran pulled out at the last minute. MDT is working feverishly to add LCC service but they are not getting any bites. WN does charter flights from MDT to MCO several times a year but that's it. WN is unlikely to start MDT service at it would cannibalize their operations at BWI and PHL. The same can be said for most other LCCs as well. Transmeridian flew from MDT to Orlando Sanford until they tanked.

Given the capacity reductions DL is undertaking in domestic markets I cannot see them increasing capacity at MDT. DL has not had mainline service at MDT in years. Best we could hope for is an RJ with a FC cabin.

Most MDT flights (excepts US flights to LGA, PIT and BOS) are feeder flights to a hub which is why UA, US and NW can justify mainline flights at certain times of the day (AM and PM rush hours) to certain hubs. CO has not had a major presence at MDT in years. AA added a MDT-DFW flight last year which is apparently doing very well (if you don't mind three hours in an RJ).

It's really a shame that things are the way they are at MDT. The market for MDT is 2+ million people and the new terminal is phenominal for an airport its size and its so much more convenient than BWI or PHL. Sadly, ATL-MDT flights are still over $1,000 even with 21-day advanced purchase on DL.
Yup, we are SOL with DL out of MDT. On occassion I find a decent fare out of MDT for personal travel, but normally its a ride to BWI or PHL. Geez, I just picked the wrong market to relocate to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.