Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

When the Airline You Love Walks Away - DL Leaving BGM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When the Airline You Love Walks Away - DL Leaving BGM

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2007, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL 2.945MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond,
In late 2003 as a DL Plat (from the inception of Skymiles) I asked for and receive a comp to NW Gold. I achieved Plat in early 2004 and remained so through 2006 until retiring early that year. I, like many others; really disliked NW but came to be more satisfied with them than I had been with DL for years. My wife and I recently completed a CVG-MSP-LGW roundtrip in NW WBC and found it to be a great experience. Try it you might like it.

For your move, you might want to consider someplace between CVG and DAY. Either airport provides easy travel to MSP and you can join us leisure travellers who originate at DAY; fly to CVG and connect to mainline DL. If you have the time the fares are often a lot cheaper and you get the extra miles.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Mill Creek Don
Although there is the informal "no match within ST", I'd write to NW and see about getting status. Since DL is leaving your market, they might just see this as a great opportunity.
Lehava, I've been in your shoes--I was a loyal NW flyer until they pulled out of RNO, which is how I ended up with DL.

As to Mill Creek Don's suggestion, yes, give it a try. I set up a DL challenge on my own based on NW status and NW pulling out of the market. After I'd done this, NW sent me a letter saying they had set up a status match with either DL or CO, and gave instructions for activating the match on the chosen airline.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
I don't know what I'd do in OP's position. I do know that if Lehava winds up leaving DL, DL will loose one of their most consistent supporters (and a big part of the Medallions for an Independent Delta group).

Lehava, you def have my best wishes in whatever you decide. As I sometimes fly the red tail too, maybe I'll see you on a flight.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
BGM has it bad with no DL service at all, but I understand that PVD will become completely RJ soon... this is a station that as recently as three years ago had 3-4 757s a day as well as 2-3 MD88s to ATL/CVG, 2 DL Express flights to MCO and DLExpress to FLL.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 1:19 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I suppose this means no more transfers in Atlanta and eating at Prime...
Old Jul 13, 2007, 6:11 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Canarsie I still see me coming to ATL just not on Delta. My plans for this weekend, figure out which Amex to transfer my two cards to, contact NW about a match, try to see if I can book a cruise with my stash of DL miles.

The more I have thought about this today, the more I think Delta's international view is what is behind this and you will see it happen more and more. What else makes sense, loads out of BGM on DL are up 44% over a year ago, so drop off in service makes no sense. My guess, Delta is now measuring "worth" based on how many passengers does a small airport dump on to international flights, and out of BGM that is next to nil.

Pretty much feel my signature says it all at this point.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 7:23 pm

To be fair, DL gave BGM a lot of opportunity to develop. Few new markets are given as much time and different hub connections in order to prove themselves. BGM failed for a few reasons:

1) Low yields: much of BGM's high yield traffic is still being taken by SYR forcing DL to do too much discounting
2) Weak loads: despite all the hype from the media, DL at BGM rarely had loads greater than 75% and they were often far lower than that during off-peak times
3) High fuel prices: the economics of the CRJ/ERJ aren't great and high fuel prices makes it even worse
4) Fragmented market: for a small market like BGM to have four carriers is a lot and makes it hard for any carrier to build up enough marketshare to survive

BGM's experience won't be unique. Many smaller markets are going to be on the chopping block. Marathon, FL will also be suspended effective Sept 5.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by ConnFlyer
BGM's experience won't be unique. Many smaller markets are going to be on the chopping block. Marathon, FL will also be suspended effective Sept 5.
OMG, I thought you wrote Melbourne, FL.

Where is the list of airports that are losing DL service?
Old Jul 13, 2007, 8:24 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
You gave me a scare for a moment. Fortunately our flight in is on August 3 and out on August 7. Since we have transcon connections at JFK on the two days, how severe have the delays been recently?

On the issue of NW, having been in the position twice, albeit in a larger market, when an airline abandoned us. (Continental and American) while elites, we share your hurt. But NW is not that bad especially if you are doing mainline jets. Even as a gold, you have a good chance of a first class seat at no extra cost to you. You do need to buy an Ipod if you do not have one since this is the sole source of domestic entertainment.

Based, on the comments it looks like BGM is going back to the days when it was served by Mohawk. After-all, it is a depressed area and cannot support much travel. Still a very inexpensive place to live.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 9:28 pm

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Lehava, really sorry to hear this. Like others have said, if DL loses you, they will lose one of their most ardent supporters.

I'm sure whatever your decision is, it will be the right one for you.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 10:16 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Traveller
Yeah, I'd like to see this list too...!
Old Jul 13, 2007, 10:35 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Traveller
These are what I have read about:
Marathon, FL
Macon, GA
Binghampton, NY
Tijuana, MX

There may be more to come.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 11:00 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
No one will ever convince me sitting on a flight listening to flight attendants gripe, every single flight, about their jobs, their pay, their hours and so on is good service. You can all keep saying NW isnt so bad, I fly them enough to know that they have some of the most unpleasant staff to deal with in the industry!!!!! And to me that matters!!!!!
Old Jul 13, 2007, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I hope this does not portend you no longer posting in the Delta forum, Lehava.

I am sorry to learn of the latest news regarding Delta Air Lines ending their service to Binghamton.
Hey, I still post here.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 8:02 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by TTT
These are what I have read about:
Marathon, FL
Macon, GA
Binghampton, NY
Tijuana, MX

There may be more to come.

Looks like the ERI-ATL flights will disappear as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.