FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   Delta Employee Caught Stealing from Luggage, Delta Refuses Compensation (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/657326-delta-employee-caught-stealing-luggage-delta-refuses-compensation.html)

joelfreak Feb 7, 2007 3:59 am

Delta Employee Caught Stealing from Luggage, Delta Refuses Compensation

Found over at consumerist:
http://consumerist.com/consumer/comp...und-234548.php

I think Delta is being RIDICULOUS here...they deserve the bad press they are going to get from this...

gforce Feb 7, 2007 4:07 am

I've heard of such things happening in India and other parts of Asia but out here?!? Wow.

Btw, this was freakin hilarious:
"Using that rationale, it wouldn't matter if a stewardess stabbed you repeatedly in the chest and barfed on your wounds. As long as you got to where you were going, everything is copasetic."

Also, was the guy working for DL or some third-party contractor?

GUWonder Feb 7, 2007 4:32 am

He wants money back for two tickets when only one passenger had his things noted as stolen?

Gargoyle Feb 7, 2007 4:58 am

I'm a bit confused. From the article it appears he is asking for a refund of the ticket price, rather than asking for a refund of the value of the camera?

He will get his camera back after the police are done using it as evidence, so in reality he is only out the time and effort of tracking down the thief. DL should have given him a voucher for a couple hundred as an apology, and thanked him for identifying a bad employee (whom they had promptly fired), but I don't think reimbursement of the full ticket is appropriate.

What would have happened if DL had promptly reimbursed him for the camera, and then the camera was recovered? Would he have had to pay them back? At that point, he'd have nothing from them; the end result here is the same. Not a happy solution for any involved, but it does make some sense.

BamaVol Feb 7, 2007 6:51 am

Originally Posted by gforce (Post 7174076)
Btw, this was freakin hilarious:
"Using that rationale, it wouldn't matter if a stewardess stabbed you repeatedly in the chest and barfed on your wounds. As long as you got to where you were going, everything is copasetic."

... if not antiseptic.

rnovak Feb 7, 2007 6:55 am

The victim's in this situation's thought process is flawed.

a) He's going to get the camera back.
b) He's not asking for compensation for the item that was stolen

I really like the part of his letter to Delta that states:
"I am writing to request a full refund for the cost of my trip, in the amount of $585.00, or else I will be forced to pursue other means to make me whole, such as litigation and public media exposure"...... "I have already had an offer from a columnist at the New York Metro, which averages 850,000 daily readers, to publish this story. I also have access to a blog with thousands of daily readers. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter."

If this moron thinks that Delta (or any other company) is going to react favorably to being blackmailed, he's got some things to learn.

My thought.. Delta did the right thing, they fired the employee and aided in the prosecution. Case Closed.

RSSrsvp Feb 7, 2007 7:06 am

Originally Posted by gforce (Post 7174076)

That tidbit was written by the author of the article and not the person that lost the camera. @:-)

IMHO, DL should offer to reimburse him the cost of one ticket as a good will gesture. The negative press that they will receive from this will cost them much more than that amount. This type of solution is what many of us would call exercising common sense.

mikeef Feb 7, 2007 7:52 am

Originally Posted by RSSrsvp (Post 7174587)
IMHO, DL should offer to reimburse him the cost of one ticket as a good will gesture. The negative press that they will receive from this will cost them much more than that amount. This type of solution is what many of us would call exercising common sense.

I think that is an excellent solution.

Mike

DiverDave Feb 7, 2007 8:02 am

This whole thing is ludicrous. It is not an expensive digital camera at $250, and you are not supposed to put valuables into checked luggage.

The letter to Delta is ridiculous, especially the threat of public media exposure, the reference to the heinous situation and the demand to have two tickets refunded.

I think it would be a good gesture to give him something, but make it Delta Dollars or a voucher for a free ticket. I wouldn't give him cash.

I admire his tenacity in chasing down and prosecuting a thief. ^

I do not admire his attitude that the loss of a $250 camera has been a life altering event. :td:

David

scassett Feb 7, 2007 8:08 am

That tidbit was written by the author of the article and not the person that lost the camera. @:-)

Yes, but once he started trying to blackmail DL, he lost any chance of receiving compensation. I don't know about you, but I react negatively to threats and it doesn't suprise me that DL has as well. Should DL have offered something up front? Probably, but we all know that you usually have to complain a little bit to get something. It is the threat that puts this one over the top.

mikey1003 Feb 7, 2007 8:10 am

RSSrsvp, always an intelligent man! (Well, almost always:D )

ChinaShrek Feb 7, 2007 8:20 am

This is a good example as to why many conservatives urge litigation reform in the United States. Excesss litigation (in the form of suing Delta) will eventually force Delta to raise fares on everyone to pay for this dude's plane tickets. A corporation should not be liable when an employeee breaks the law unless the company knew about it and did nothing.

mcjava Feb 7, 2007 8:21 am

Originally Posted by scassett (Post 7174931)
Yes, but once he started trying to blackmail DL, he lost any chance of receiving compensation. I don't know about you, but I react negatively to threats and it doesn't suprise me that DL has as well. Should DL have offered something up front? Probably, but we all know that you usually have to complain a little bit to get something. It is the threat that puts this one over the top.

While it would have been a nice gesture on DL's part to offer a small token voucher, I totally agree that once the scent of blackmail is in the air, all bets are off.

BamaVol Feb 7, 2007 8:27 am

I think the should send him something. How about $200 redeemable on the USAirways flight of his choice?

Lehava Feb 7, 2007 8:54 am

Originally Posted by BamaVol (Post 7175072)
I think the should send him something. How about $200 redeemable on the USAirways flight of his choice?

Perfect Answer....

Don't the T&C of the ticket tell you not to pack cameras and that DL isn't responsible for them? Beyond that, agree with the above that the person was an idiot asking for their flight refunded, one has nothing to do with the other. Delta did their part, the employee was fired and prosecuted. Good will gesture should go to normal human beings not idiots like this one.