Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to Delta...are all their armrests fixed?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2006, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
New to Delta...are all their armrests fixed?

I'm generally a AA traveler, but my current contract puts me squarely in Delta territory: CVG. I've been flying LGA-CVG for several months now, and every Delta plane seems to have fixed armrests on the aisle. I find this...maddening. Almost all AA planes seem to have moveable armrests.

Is there a reason for this, some policy decision on Delta's part? It seems uniform enough on both airlines that it must be a policy. A message for Delta management: something like this would keep my loyalty at AA if all else was equal. It'd sure make a difference on those long LGA traffic waits.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 3:35 pm

I can't think of a time I've been on a plane where the armrest on the aisle did raise. Interesting.

I doubt DL's management is going to change that to keep your business, sorry. Maybe US will when they take over.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 6:06 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Actually there are several aircraft where the aisle armrest can be raised. Its tricky though. You have to reach beneath it and slide a piece back to raise the armrest. Sometimes people that see me raise it up can't figure out how I got it to raise. It's pretty entertaining to watch them play with their armrest and try to figure it out. I don't know why they just don't ask me

I don't believe any of the exit rows and bulkheads are equiped with this feature.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 6:50 pm

Programs: POS, Delta Skymiles, IC Plat Amb., Hilton Gold, SPG gold
after fighting with delta to get this info - here is what i have

737-800 seats 11-16c, 19-32c moveable
MD 88 ship 966-900 - 31d, 34-38d
MD 88 ship 9001-9020 - 12-23d, 27-31d, 34-38d

i know on my last 2 flights to chicago were on md88's and in rows 13-16 the aisle went up on both sides.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
For those interested in the 'why' ... FAA regulations require that seats with moveable armrests be provided so that people with certain disabilities can be seated. These can be in bulkhead rows but not exit rows. And airlines cannot assign the seats to anyone without a disability until 24 hours before the flight.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
For those interested in the 'why' ... FAA regulations require that seats with moveable armrests be provided so that people with certain disabilities can be seated. These can be in bulkhead rows but not exit rows. And airlines cannot assign the seats to anyone without a disability until 24 hours before the flight.
So, are Delta's bulkhead seats the only ones with movable armrests since those are the only ones that I can't get in advance? Is this new since at one time I could get bulkhead seats in advance.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 8:58 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM; AS MVP-G
Here might be one of the RJ's few good points: they typically have armrests that raise in the aisles. As someone else mentioned, you follow the armrest all the way back to its hinge...right along the middle. You'll feel a little piece of metal...press it in...and lift the armrest.

I have had several FA's ask me to put it down during takeoff and landing though.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Thanks to all, great information...FlyerTalk constantly amazes.

I usually just use the feature to give my aisle-side leg enough room to slip under for a much needed 2" of extra width. I don't ever put the armrest all the way up, I do like to keep myself in my seat as much as possible, especially when the drink carts come through.

I'm usually good at sleuthing the movement button, it's sometimes difficult to find. I'm pretty confident they don't move on the Canadair jets, you can usually tell from the hinge if it's designed to move.

For me, it makes a huge comfort difference...I'll sometimes even get an occasional touch of claustrophobia when they don't move. I'd never expect they to change the armrests because of this, but perhaps they will make more of them movable on new planes/seats if they knew it made people happier.

I guess being 6'2"/275 has it's downside...
Old Dec 20, 2006, 1:54 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by indufan
So, are Delta's bulkhead seats the only ones with movable armrests since those are the only ones that I can't get in advance? Is this new since at one time I could get bulkhead seats in advance.

No its not new....well I guess it depends on how new you talking. It's been this way for several years.

Originally Posted by Pharaoh
And airlines cannot assign the seats to anyone without a disability until 24 hours before the flight.
It's actually only the bulkhead seating that can't be given out in advance
Old Dec 21, 2006, 6:46 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by micmath
It's actually only the bulkhead seating that can't be given out in advance
Correct. I missed a word when typing. "And airlines cannot assign all the seats (which have the moveable armrest) to anyone without a disability until 24 hours before the flight."

IOW they must reserve some 'reasonable' number until the 24 hour point. Of course, if they have more that that number of disabled people booking after the 24 hour point, the airline can move someone already assigned to another appropriate seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.