Community
Wiki Posts
Search

does triple + double = 5 or 3 or 2?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2006, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, Priority Club Gold, Hilton & Marriott Silver
Cool does triple + double = 5 or 3 or 2?

I received a triple miles offer from AMEX which I registered for but then received a double miles promo from AMEX as well. I haven't registered for the double miles promo b'c I was afraid it was cancel out the triple promo. Can I register for both and get 5 or will registering for double negate my sign-up for triple?
Old Nov 10, 2006, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
You cannot have both bonus miles offers for the same time period. Therefore enjoy your triple miles offer.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 1:00 pm

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
At least one FTer reported that s/he DID receive both bonuses simultaneously. I signed up for both earlier this year, but I don't actually know whether I received 2x, 3x, or more.

But if you pay close attention to the way the promotions are structured, you'll notice that, if the two bonuses were to be cumulative, you still would not receive 5x. For "always double miles" purchases, you'd get no additional bonus for the 2x promotion, and 1 Skymile per dollar bonus for the 3x promotion. So for these purchases, even stacked promotions would be the same as just the 3x promotion alone.

For other purchases, you'd get 1 bonus Skymile per dollar on the 2x promotion and 2 bonus miles per dollar on the 3x promotion, for a total of "only" 4 Skymiles per dollar spent.

So the most you could get (if the promotions did stack) would be 4x, and paradoxically, you'd actually get more miles for non-favored purchases like at Wal-Mart than for the supposedly favored "always double miles" purchases like at gas stations and grocery stores.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
In this thread Last Survivor posted a targetted 5X miles promotion. (sadly, my card wasn't eligible). In the rules for that promo it states:
Cardmembers who earn Always Double Miles® will earn three additional miles for eligible purchases.
Ergo, "always double" plus 5x = 5x.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 9:25 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
I gave up trying to figure the bonuses out. I sign up for them and I see the bonus miles post, but I can never make the connection between what I spent and what AmEx says my bonus is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.