Search

Elite Perks in Economy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2008, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
Elite Perks in Economy

Hello all

It was time to join The Forum, after weeks of reading and catching up on Delta stuff as a spectator. And here is my first post/random discussion topic:

What would you think about having 'elite perks' in the Economy cabins?

The rationale: Medallions do not get upgraded _all_ the time. Some routes and days are better than others, but there is always the occasional 26E (worst case scenario :-D). While I have been lucky more often than not, I certainly think that I would not mind flying in 18D with a 'sweetener' of sorts, to recognize my loyalty, etc.

Proposal: Establish a suite of 'elite' perks for customers flying in the main cabin. This could include a credit for $X for entertainment, drinks, and eats, or a plain ole free-for-all. Swipe your SkyMiles card and enjoy said perks while the rest of the cabin ponies up the cash. This could be available on both domestic and international routes

Basis: Medallion members enjoy complimentary upgrades on domestic flights. This already comes with the free entertainment, liquor, and snacks/meals. What if the economy experience emulated the first class, less the space and laptop power? I wouldn't mind watching a movie and sipping on complimentary margaritas form the back of the place, and I am sure many others would not, either. The cost is only incremental, in terms of the comped food and liquor.

The benefits: Frequent fliers are less whiny when they don't get the coveted upgrade. Other customers are intrigued by the magic a certain status can bring about on board and maybe become motivated to fly more, or to fly more on Delta.

The drawbacks: I am sure IFE/EATS/Drinx are a fairly strong revenue stream. Diluting those with comps kind of kills it, which is less than desirable.

Discussion points:
I am sure I would be one of those people who would use the free perks but may not always pay if they were for-sale. I.e., if I don't get the upgrade, I would not be paying for a movie and HBO. I may get a drink and a snack, but I also may not. I would certainly take advantage of all my free options though. So, customer behavior may change, with increased demand for food and drink items and added weight. But, am I going to be a much happier camper? Certainly.

Also, if there is a cap on the spend, the behavior can be controlled - $20 in credit, for example, gets you a movie and two drinks. or an eats and a drink plus something. you get the idea... there may even be tiered cap based on elite status?!

I am not sure what is the actual percentage of elites flying in economy. A handful would make the proposed program a lot easier to implement than 40% of the passengers... Maybe I tend to end up on the flights full of vacation/casual travelers and see myself as one of the few who have taken Delta more than once in the past week, so this proposal makes perfect sense to me in my experience. However, it may not make as much sense on a Monday SLC-ATL...

I think the program could be very feasible technically - the IFE card readers can be programmed to recognize an 'elite' mag stripe, and so can the card readers for food/drinks. Then, poof, a swipe shows your status and everyone is happy. It also helps 1) provide an audit log 2) minimize abuse of the system as the card must be physically swiped and not shown/flashed/whatever...

on a tangent, one's skymiles activity onboard could be linked in a glorious way to indicate future preferences... as in, 'oh, from the manifest I see you tend to prefer gin tonics... care for one on this flight?'
wouldn't that be nice

what do you think?
Old Nov 30, 2008, 11:04 pm

I can't imagine this ever happening. It costs a lot of money to load stuff on the plane, and many routes are chock full of elites. Why do you think a beer is $7? Giving each elite even $7 of benefits (= $7 of lost revenue) on each segment really adds up.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Welcome to FT.

Very interesting first post. My business logic and my Delta logic differ so this is why I think it won't happen. DL and NW is now the largest airline in the world with a ton of Elite members. At this point, there is very little benefit for the airline to provide these extra perks when they are trying to squeeze out every dime from each passenger. Of course it'd be great to get an onboard credit as an Elite for flying Coach. But that's what you get what you paid for. Coach ticket, Coach amenities. With the size of the combined DL/NW programs any "Enhancements" will likely be a removal of perks for Elites.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 1:41 am

Programs: DL PM
I'm splashing around a bit from the NW thread but I suppose I'll be here eventually. The idea sounds nice as a Silver myself, but I don't think they'd do it for aforementioned business reasons. Free entertainment would be nice and not burden the plane with extra weight though. ^
Old Dec 1, 2008, 1:52 am

Medallions get 4 drink certificates to use throughout the year. If those could be used for $7 in EATS I would be a happy camper!
Old Dec 1, 2008, 4:59 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Could you imagine someone who doesn't drink (like me) using their credit to buy drinks, etc, for other people - friends / colleagues / pretty girl/guy sitting nearby? When I fly WN, I always look for someone sitting nearby who is preparing to pay for a drink and hand them a free drink coupon - if I have any - that come with a free ticket package.

Let's say that your program only applies to Platinums - and you just crossed the threshold from Gold in the last week, but your new card hasn't arrived yet. There'd be a verbal fist fight for free drinks with the FA!

How about: "I'm sorry, I forgot my Elite/Medallion card in my other briefcase"

I disagree that it'd make other non-elites sitting nearby want to fly more. I think if anything, it'd make them wonder why they're not getting anything - and kind of P.O.'d! Ex: 23A & 23C are Elites getting free drinks / video and 23B gets only "a seat - and that's it"! Now the FA has to try to explain to 23B why he's not gettin' anything!

NW also has a coupon program for PE's. At the beginning of each year when the new credentials are mailed out, they send - I forget - 4, (I think) coupons good for I think $5 (each) onboard credit in case of not being upgraded and stuck in coach.

I disagree that it wouldn't cost much. Think of all of the kajillions of - not only Medallions, but all SkyTeam Elites/Elite + pax - all drinking for free! WOW! All of those little bottles!! Maybe they could put in those "guns" like they have in bars - to dispense the drinks!

On a side note, there've been a few reports in the NW forum that a FA has gone out his/her way and offered a free drink or a pre-departure drink to some elites in the first few rows of Y.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 5:14 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Someone please make the noise stop!!! Sorry, but my head is ringing with the idea of the one unruly FO/GM/PM hissy fitting in coach because he/she didn't get his/her free beer.

Now I'm hearing the one-time-a-year discount ticket holder demeaning the FA because he/she wants a free drink, too, because the people on either side got one, and he/she paid for his/her ticket, too.

On top of all that, I'm hearing the FO in row 36 complaining at the gate when we get off because he/she didn't get his/her free drink, which is his/her right, and the fact that the plane was being tossed like a carrot in a Cuisinart, leaving the FAs unable to take out the cart on the flight between CLT and ATL, doesn't change the fact that the FO deserves a full refund for the flight.

I'm sorry, I don't fly because of the perks. I fly to get from Point A to Point B. When I purchase my coach ticket, I expect basic transportation. If I get an UG, fantastic - it's a more comfortable seat, better service, and free stuff. But if I don't, I know I'm getting exactly what I paid for. If I want guaranteed F service, I'll pay a fare that ensures it.

Put me in the minority, but I really think flights would be much better if they got rid of the drink/nuts service in coach on all flights that last less than 2 hours. People can bring on their own soda/snack. Heck, I usually stop at the news shop and purchase a paper and soda for the flight anyway. Just have some bottled water to hand out, or to pick up on the way onto the plane. No cart clogging the aisle. No complaining when the FAs don't make it the whole way down the plane, no waiting longer for a delayed flight because they need to load ice and Cokes. People can make it two hours without a drink. Instead of increasing the service in coach, I say get rid of it entirely.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 5:21 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by davetravels
How about: "I'm sorry, I forgot my Elite/Medallion card in my other briefcase"

... On a side note, there've been a few reports in the NW forum that a FA has gone out his/her way and offered a free drink or a pre-departure drink to some elites in the first few rows of Y.
Or what about the GM who switches seats with someone so that a family can sit together? Now the FA thinks the GM is in 17C, when, in fact, he's now in 30D. They give the free stuff to the woman in 17C, now the guy in 30D wants what iis his, and the rest of the family wants what mom got.

As for your side note, I've had several FAs on DL offer me drinks when I'm sitting in coach. All but once, I've refused, because I don't want to open the can of worms. Each time, it was a FA I knew from previous flights and, as far as I remember, usually involved long flights. (SEA-ATL, LAX-MCO) I even remember a couple flight attendants' names, but won't divulge out of fear that DL will write them up for going an extra mile to try to make a customer happy!

Originally Posted by davetravels
I disagree that it'd make other non-elites sitting nearby want to fly more. I think if anything, it'd make them wonder why they're not getting anything - and kind of P.O.'d! Ex: 23A & 23C are Elites getting free drinks / video and 23B gets only "a seat - and that's it"! Now the FA has to try to explain to 23B why he's not gettin' anything!
Frontier does offer free movies in coach for their frequent flyers, and nobody seems to complain. But, for some reason, DL (and Southwest, UA, US and AA) pax seem to have shorter fuses than Frontier flyers. Just my experience...
Old Dec 1, 2008, 6:52 am

Programs: DL Gold Hopefully be DL nothing in 1 more year / Hertz Something / Hilton Honors Diamond
I remember last year, I was on an MD88, but they swtiched it out for a MD88 Shuttle plane.l even posted a thread about it on here because I wasn't aware of what a shuttle plane was. Before take off a FA was walking around with a sheet of paper and was talking to what seemed like random people. Came to my seat, addressed me by my name and said since I was a Medallion member I could have a free drink. I would say there were about 30 or so medallion members on the plane at the time.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 8:06 am

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Plus, think about how labor intensive this would be, in particular on a short flight.

As for the Medallion kit coupons (which I haven't had to use since the Song days), it would be nice if they could apply them toward the IFE in coach. I can imagine being unhappy paying for a movie in coach, after so many successful upgrades.....
Old Dec 1, 2008, 8:31 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by ttjoseph
I can't imagine this ever happening. It costs a lot of money to load stuff on the plane, and many routes are chock full of elites. Why do you think a beer is $7? Giving each elite even $7 of benefits (= $7 of lost revenue) on each segment really adds up.
This assumes that any elite that had one or more free drinks would have paid for them otherwise. I'll drink for free when I am in FC, but rarely pay for one in the back. So in this case, the cost to DL is just the cost of the drink, and the fuel it takes to get it to 30,000 feet. Of course, they would probably have to increase catering to support this, which would use a little more fuel.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 8:39 am

I would agree with others - since elite status means basically nothing and seemingly 3/4 of Atlantans are elite, this is a no go.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 10:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, Hilton Gold
First, welcome to FT! Great first topic!

I would say I think it would be nice that if a medallion doesn't get an upgrade on a given day, give one free drink coupon at check in -- comes with boarding pass automatically for example. Then there is not "why is his free" nonsense.

I also like the idea of FO/GM/PM not having to pay for the movie when there is one. It would be a nice good will gesture.

Dave
Old Dec 1, 2008, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by djk7
This assumes that any elite that had one or more free drinks would have paid for them otherwise. I'll drink for free when I am in FC, but rarely pay for one in the back. So in this case, the cost to DL is just the cost of the drink, and the fuel it takes to get it to 30,000 feet. Of course, they would probably have to increase catering to support this, which would use a little more fuel.
That's still a fair amount of money. Remember that the legacies got rid of pillows and blankets in Y to save fuel.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 11:38 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by Davescj
First, welcome to FT! Great first topic!

I would say I think it would be nice that if a medallion doesn't get an upgrade on a given day, give one free drink coupon at check in -- comes with boarding pass automatically for example. Then there is not "why is his free" nonsense.
Dave
I think a drink coupon or two valid for that flight would be a good way to handle it. Then you avoid the problem mentioned above regarding a single elite in coach getting drinks for the pax around them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.