Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Is there a backdoor route for getting Medallion status?

Old Oct 13, 2002, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Location: Home=ATL; AAdvantage Platinum & 1MM; SkyMiles Gold Medallion

I used to live in a couple of AA hub cities and was able to reach AAdvantage Platinum level by doing what they call "Gold Challenge" and "Platinum Challenge". This is AA's backdoor method for quickly reaching elite status. This process took about one year, if I'm not mistaken (maybe two years).

I now live in Atlanta and I'm trying to find out how to reach Medallion status quickly with Delta. I am basically trying to become a loyal customer to Delta since it makes sense living in Atlanta and all.

I thought of writing a letter to Delta telling them about my situation. In short, even if its more convenient for me to fly direct from ATL on Delta, I still earn 2x miles with AA (no direct flights from ATL, though). So maybe this will entice Delta into gaining a loyal customer...?

BTW, I will be doing 3 or 4 Delta roundtrips in the next few weeks, starting this week. I thought I could use this as a challenge-like oportunity.

Also, are there any unofficial Skymiles websites? AA has a good one:
http://members.shaw.ca/fewmiles/AA/index2.html

Any input is welcome and appreciated here.

[This message has been edited by silkworm (edited 10-13-2002).]

[This message has been edited by silkworm (edited 10-13-2002).]
Old Oct 13, 2002, 12:46 pm

You might want to try to just get comped (while also explaining your situation)
See Thanks Delta

I'm sure there's a better thread on comping...

[This message has been edited by uncflyer16 (edited 10-13-2002).]
Old Oct 13, 2002, 12:53 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
DL only comps you based on your OAL elite status or they don't.
There is no Medallion challenge with DL with the exception of a targetted promo going on right now with fast track to elite status.

So unless you do hold elite status with another airline, you are most likely to be out of luck with DL - meaning you have to earn your status "the hard way".
Old Oct 13, 2002, 1:30 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by silkworm:
Also, are there any unofficial Skymiles websites? </font>
Yep, GG& LexPassenger have a great one:

http://www.fopaws.com/FT/Delta.html

------------------
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!
~ConcordeBoy

Try the Unofficial Continental Dictionary
Old Oct 13, 2002, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rcs85551:
DL only comps you based on your OAL elite status or they don't.
There is no Medallion challenge with DL with the exception of a targetted promo going on right now with fast track to elite status.

So unless you do hold elite status with another airline, you are most likely to be out of luck with DL - meaning you have to earn your status "the hard way".
</font>

Sounds good! I'll use my AA Platinum status to get comped by Delta. However, could you explain how I am supposed to do this? Do I write a letter to Delta with evidence from AA? What address should I use?

Thanks for the tip!
Old Oct 13, 2002, 6:24 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by silkworm:
I used to live in a couple of AA hub cities and was able to reach AAdvantage Platinum level by doing what they call "Gold Challenge" and "Platinum Challenge". This is AA's backdoor method for quickly reaching elite status. This process took about one year, if I'm not mistaken (maybe two years).
</font>
For AA's challeges, sorry you are mistaken. The Gold and Platinum Challenge have time limits. They're just about 3 months. If you take a year or two, then you won't reach Gold or Platinum on AA.

[This message has been edited by jeffreyt (edited 10-13-2002).]
Old Oct 13, 2002, 7:05 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Here is how to get your status match. I picked up this card when checking in at the DL shuttle this past week. The cards were at the check-in counter.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Delta Elite Status Matching Program

We realize you have a choice of airlines, and want to do all we can to make Delta your first choice. As an elite frequent flyer, you receive preferential benefits and services from another airline. Delta would like to recognize your elite status and provide similar services and benefits when you choose to travel with us. To do so, we are pleased to extend to you equivalent status* in Delta's Medallion Program.

To take advantage of this invitation, please read the terms and conditions on this offer and follow the instructions listed below. We look forward to serving you soon on Delta.

1) Fax a copy of your current membership card for the airline in which you hold elite status to the SkyMiles Service Center at 404-715-9220. Fax must be received by February 28, 2003 in order to be eligible for this offer.

2) Print your name, phone number and Delta SkyMiles number on the top of the fax copy.

3) If you do not have a Delta SkyMiles number, please visit www.delta.com/enroll to enroll and obtain a SkyMiles membership number. Then you may complete the steps above.

4) Please allow up to two weeks for your SkyMiles account to reflect Medallion status. You can check your account status via delta.com. Please be sure to include your Delta SkyMiles number in all reservations so you may receive the appropriate mileage credit for your Medallion status.

*See terms and conditions on opposite side of this card for matching equivalent status.</font>
The back of the card reads as follows:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Terms and Conditions

1) Delta will award equivalent status at the Gold Medallion and Silver Medallion membership tiers only. Platinum Medallion status will not be granted for top tier members of other airline frequent flyer programs. Those with top tier status in other airline frequent flyer program will be granted Gold Medallion Status.

2) Faxed copy of other airline membership card must reflect current elite level for airline frequent flyer program.

3) Medallion membership awarded will be valid through February 28, 2004.

4) All standard SkyMiles Program rules and conditions apply, and are available at delta.com/skymiles. For more information regarding SkyMiles Medallion Program benefits, please go to delta.com/medallion</font>
[This message has been edited by andymo99 (edited 10-15-2002).]
Old Oct 13, 2002, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jeffreyt:
[B] For AA's challeges, sorry you are mistaken. The Gold and Platinum Challenge have time limits. They're just about 3 months. If you take a year or two, then you won't reach Gold or Platinum on AA.[B]</font>
What I meant was that the *total* elapsed time between starting the Gold challenge and ending the Platinum challenge was about two years. It doesn't really mean anything since it all depends on when you *know* you're going to have enough segments or miles to call and apply for the challenge.
Old Oct 13, 2002, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

THANK YOU ANDYMO99! This is exactly what I am looking for. May you have an excellent year!
Old Oct 14, 2002, 8:02 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
You're welcome. But don't tell anybody else
Old Oct 15, 2002, 6:33 am

andymo99:

Thanks for the great information. I was waiting until I actually had a flight planned before trying to comp my AA status, but I saw from your post that status would be good from now to Feb.'04.

There's a wee typo in your post, though, for the fax number to send the information. The correct number is: 404-715-9220.

Many thanks again for your helpful post.
Old Oct 15, 2002, 7:57 am

Egads! You're right about the typo. I'll edit my post.
Old Oct 16, 2002, 11:55 am

Many thanks, again andymo99. I faxed the documentation yesterday - this morning I am Gold Medallion.

Anyone know what happens if I don't requalify for even silver status in 2003? Do I go back to Blue or do I drop one grade down from Gold to Silver?

Old Oct 16, 2002, 12:16 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Biblioman:
Many thanks, again andymo99. I faxed the documentation yesterday - this morning I am Gold Medallion.

Anyone know what happens if I don't requalify for even silver status in 2003? Do I go back to Blue or do I drop one grade down from Gold to Silver?

</font>
Wow. I faxed to DL a copy of my AAdvantage statment and AAdvantage PLT card on 10-9 along with a well-written letter requesting a status match and a reasonable explanation why I'm requesting one.

I login in this morning at delta.com and I still find myself being just a "SkyMiles Member."
Old Oct 16, 2002, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

This is cool! I faxed the request yesterday and today I am GOLD MEDALLION, baby! Yessss! Andymo, YOU FRIGGIN ROCK!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.