Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta Dollars to Pay Fees & Taxes on Award Ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2006, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM, SPG Plat

I am trying to book some international awards for the summer. My current itinerary for 2 would generate about $175 in fees and taxes.

I have a $200 voucher on Delta from this past year. Is it possible to use that voucher to cover this cash outlay?

I have not seen this mentioned here, and there does not seem to be any reference to it specifically on the voucher itself.

Any thougths?
Old Jan 17, 2006, 3:58 pm

Don't see why not. You don't have to purchase travel with them, as many people have bought CRC memberships with vouchers.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 5:00 pm

Deleted

Last edited by vinnmann; Jul 30, 2007 at 2:56 pm
Old Jan 17, 2006, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by vinnmann
A few months ago, I was having an itinerary refunded, and I commented that if they wanted to issue a voucher for it, that would be OK as I was going to ticket 2 international awards in the near future where I would use up the value of the voucher. The agent told me that it would be better to refund the money as vouchers can't be used to pay the tax on award tickets.
Thanks for the info. I stand corrected.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 5:04 pm

Deleted

Last edited by vinnmann; Jul 30, 2007 at 2:56 pm
Old Jan 17, 2006, 5:07 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
I learned this past weekend (when using a voucher to buy my CRC membership) that there are two kinds of Delta Dollars vouchers. One that is a transportation only voucher and one called an exchange voucher (both say Delta dollars on them). it is better to ask for the exchange one in the first place, but transportation vouchers can be converted to EV's by calling the 800 #. The EV has much more flexibility and can be used for CRC, fees and so on, but the TV cant. Also it appears there is a change over going on in the computer system and they cant make the wrong type of voucher work anymore. I was very lucky that the angels working at the JFK CRC still knew how to get the old system up and were able to make the change over for me!!!!
Old Jan 17, 2006, 5:48 pm

Learn something new every day. I had noticed the different wording on vouchers before, never really thought about it.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 2:05 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by Lehava
I learned this past weekend (when using a voucher to buy my CRC membership) that there are two kinds of Delta Dollars vouchers. One that is a transportation only voucher and one called an exchange voucher (both say Delta dollars on them). it is better to ask for the exchange one in the first place, but transportation vouchers can be converted to EV's by calling the 800 #. The EV has much more flexibility and can be used for CRC, fees and so on, but the TV cant. Also it appears there is a change over going on in the computer system and they cant make the wrong type of voucher work anymore. I was very lucky that the angels working at the JFK CRC still knew how to get the old system up and were able to make the change over for me!!!!
You can use any of those vouchers for CRC membership - and this is official policy.

However, you cannot use any bump voucher (original, converted or whatever) to pay for taxes on an award ticket.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 3:24 am
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Originally Posted by rcs85551
You can use any of those vouchers for CRC membership - and this is official policy.

However, you cannot use any bump voucher (original, converted or whatever) to pay for taxes on an award ticket.
Based on the ladies at the CRC (who seemed to have a real clue what they were doing) this is no longer the case in the new computer system. So the policy has either changed recently or about to change. They had to go through major gyrations to make it work and had to go back into an older computer system so I dont think they were bs'ing me (they were going out of their way to get my membership to go through when I was more than willing to go call the 800# to fix the problem).
Old Jan 31, 2006, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
An SMS agent just told me I could use my transportation credit voucher to pay for the award booking fee (less than two weeks)...Im confused, I hope it works.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM; AS MVP-G
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
An SMS agent just told me I could use my transportation credit voucher to pay for the award booking fee (less than two weeks)...Im confused, I hope it works.
For years, most of my flying was on AA; therefore, so was most of my bumping. Up until about 2003, I used my AA vouchers to pay for many a regular ticket...and when I bought this ticket, AA didn't add any tax or fees period. Essentially, no junk fees of any kind...just pay the base fare. Then around 2003, I went to use my vouchers at an AA ticket counter...and the guy charged me tax. I had to explain to a few counter agents in the past that I was told I didn't have to pay taxes; they'd do a little checking and then I was on my way with a tax-less ticket. However, this guy was adamant that it wasn't the case. And ever since then, I paid taxes on tickets paid for with vouchers (however, vouchers could be used toward the tax).

Anyone else experience a tax-free ticket, or know why the policy changed (yes, I realize this is AA I was talking about, but it seemed related to this topic)
Old Jan 31, 2006, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
That fee isn't really a tax, so I don't see why they wouldn't let you use that. This thread seems to hint more that you can't apply them toward the taxes on award tickets.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Unfortunately, the web site could not process an expedited award ticket when I tried a couple of days ago. I was planning on using the e-voucher for at least the $50 rip-off fee, but I ended up breaking out the Visa to pay it off.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 12:24 am

Programs: Hilton-Gold
^ ^ You can use Delta Dollars "exchange coupons" to pay for any Delta travel fees. The Delta Dollars are "Delta Money" and they will cover tickets, change fees, CRC and excess baggage fees. I am very suprised that fewer than 60% of these vouchers go unused......
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:45 pm

Let me dust off this old thread, instead of creating a new one.

I would imagine the T&C's have changed in 7 years - anyone know if it's possible now? I have some MH/CZ awards in the very near future and they apparently are heavy fee hitters. Thanks

Originally Posted by edinmhd
I am trying to book some international awards for the summer. My current itinerary for 2 would generate about $175 in fees and taxes.

I have a $200 voucher on Delta from this past year. Is it possible to use that voucher to cover this cash outlay?

I have not seen this mentioned here, and there does not seem to be any reference to it specifically on the voucher itself.

Any thougths?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.