Skymiles for booking on Orbitz?

Old Jun 13, 2001, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Skymiles for booking on Orbitz?

If we book on Orbitz, do we receive Skymiles for the trip? I have been finding cheaper fares on Orbitz and would forego the 1,000 mile onlne booking bonus from DL if the price difference is big enough and I receive the miles in my account. Does anyone have the answer?
Old Jun 13, 2001, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

Why wouldn't you?

They are basically a travel agency that books tickets, unlike something special like Priceline.
Old Jun 14, 2001, 6:48 am

I think he/she means the online booking bonus. not flight miles. Yes I would like to know if i can get frequent flyer miles for booking on Orbitz rather than the airlines website.
Old Jun 14, 2001, 7:48 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Check the price on Orbitz and book on delta.com. You can probably get a better seat selection too.

------------------
"Sire, it is not a revolt. It is a Revolution!"
Old Jun 14, 2001, 8:10 am

Yes, you'll get SkyMiles for the trip.
The following wording comes from the FAQ section on Orbitz:
  • Can I get frequent flier miles on Orbitz?
    Consumers can earn miles on their airline-sponsored programs on the flights booked using Orbitz.
But no on-line booking bonus. Delta's terms state that the on-line booking bonus is specific to Delta's site.

Old Jun 14, 2001, 8:48 am
GG

Spiff, there are some cheap Orbitz fares that aren't available on delta.com. The cheapest fare we could find elsewhere (incl. the other travel sites) was over $500 each - an L fare!! - to PDX in July. Delta is matching WN's companion fare sale only on Orbitz, as far as we can tell. The price for both of us was about $480, so we booked that way.

We called Delta in advance to make sure we'd both get our miles (esp. during double base mile season), and were told yes.

I'm a wimp, and I really didn't want to make that trip in coach, but the double base miles was too tempting. We did use DL's site to check for seats, and rebooked ourselves into exit row seats pdq.
Old Jun 14, 2001, 10:31 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Hope that PDX trip is for the Oregon Brewer's Festival!

------------------
"Sire, it is not a revolt. It is a Revolution!"
Old Jun 14, 2001, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

Sometimes I have to wonder what people are thinking. Delta provides a bonus to encourage people to book on their site, since that is cheaper than using their inhouse reservation agents, cheaper than using travel agents, etc. So, if you go to another company (Orbitz), why do people think they would pay the bonus to the flyer of 1000 miles, which comes to about $20 these days?

Duh!
Old Jun 14, 2001, 12:41 pm
GG

That's a tempting one! No, this is much earlier in the month (hence double base miles) for business. If we make the GABF, it'll likely be because we've won the lottery, or the Portland convention was a LOT more lucrative than I expect. But we'll have a few good brews while we're there.
Old Jun 14, 2001, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by STAM4NICK:
I think he/she means the online booking bonus. not flight miles. Yes I would like to know if i can get frequent flyer miles for booking on Orbitz rather than the airlines website. </font>
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by NoStressHere:

Sometimes I have to wonder what people are thinking. Delta provides a bonus to encourage people to book on their site, since that is cheaper than using their inhouse reservation agents, cheaper than using travel agents, etc. So, if you go to another company (Orbitz), why do people think they would pay the bonus to the flyer of 1000 miles, which comes to about $20 these days?

Duh!
</font>
Duh, I was referring only to receiving Skymiles, not bonus online booking bonus miles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.