How Many Skymiles for Hawaii?UA or Delta?

Old Apr 19, 2001, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

How Many Skymiles for Hawaii?UA or Delta?

Is it 30,000 skymiles each for a ticket to Hawaii? Can I use Skymiles to book on United?
Leaving from Boston, there are stops to either Atlanta or Dallas on the way to HLO. If I can use skymiles on United, I could stop at San Francisco, which to me is a plus.
Can I use Skymiles with any other airline? Do they also ask 30,000 for Hawaii?
Old Apr 19, 2001, 2:34 pm

Using Skymiles, your choices are either 30k miles for Delta metal, or 35k for United. I've done both, United's schedules are a little better (can fly on them to all the islands, and have nonstops from LAX/SFO to east coast), also I thought their service was slightly better. Reports of the DL 767-400 are not too favorable, either.

Both allow you to have a stopover. I did PHL-SFO-HNL on both United (SFO on way over) and Delta (SFO on way back), and my parents stopped in Las Vegas on the way back from HNL last year.

If you can work with the Delta schedule, I would try to go with them, and save the 5k miles for another trip.

Jeff
Old Apr 19, 2001, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

did your parents fly Delta when they stopped at Las Vegas? That is my son's dream vacation. Vegas and Hawaii. He's only 15, so I don't think its the gambling thing. That unfavorable plane, who flies that Delta or UA? Today I only need 12,000 miles for the 3 tickets on Delta. Can't wait to order, and wait.
Old Apr 19, 2001, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
re: The poster above said it was the DL 767-400 that was somewhat less than satisfactory. Keep in mind though, that these comments are usually from those of us that fly alot and get spoiled in first and exit rows, etc.

As to ordering the tickets, be forewarned that tickets to HI are sometimes difficult to get. You will need to be flexible on your schedule, avoid holidays and maybe weekends.

Old Apr 19, 2001, 5:26 pm

Yes, they took the redeye on Delta from HNL to LAX, had an hour layover, then flew onto Las Vegas, and arrived before 7:30am. Stayed there for almost a week (after 2 in Hawaii), and then flew home. All for 30,000 miles. Has to be one of the best uses of FF miles.

The 767-400 (uncomfortable plane) is a Delta one, unfortunately. There are and have been multiple threads about it's uncomfortableness. When we flew to HNL last October it was still L1011's (which had plenty of room, but just lousy climate control).

Do you have a Delta AMEX credit card? If not, consider applying for one. The signup bonus is 10k miles for Gold ($85) and 15k miles for Platinum ($135), a quick way to get the additional miles you need.

Jeff
Old Apr 20, 2001, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Already have the Gold Delta American Express, anyone switch to Platinum and still get the 15,000 miles? Right now I only need 12,000 and change. What would it cost to buy about 10,000 miles from Delta?
Old Apr 20, 2001, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
lorra,

The ATL-HNL flights are no longer non-stop, because of the switch to 767-400. The DFW-HNL non-stops no longer exist. Your best bet on Delta is non-stop BOS-LAX, then change planes to another non-stop LAX-HNL.

Upgrading to the Platinum AMEX card will get you 5,000 bonus miles and all the benefits, such as they are, of the Platinum card. It's worth making the change, in my opinion.

Delta will sell a few miles to people who are short on what they need for an award. The cost is 2 cents each, and the amount is limited to 10 percent, I believe, of the total required. So you could buy 3000 of the 30,000 you need for each ticket to Hawaii, at a cost of $60 each. They may have a service charge, too. I can't remember.

Bruce

Old Apr 20, 2001, 1:33 pm

For coach awards to Hawaii, you can buy up to 5000miles per award ticket. For first class, the limit is 20,000 miles. The cost is, "for just $25 per 1,000 miles, plus applicable transportation taxes and fees".

Jeff
Old Apr 21, 2001, 6:38 am

Programs: AA,HP,MP,DL,SPG, MR
I had the AMEX gold card and applied for the Platinum. I made it very clear I did not want to upgrade the card, just buy the platinum one as well. I got the 15,000 miles and additionally, when you renew the card the following year they give you a free companion ticket with it, so for $230.00 total you get 15,000 miles and a free ticket.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.