Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) [closed to posting]
Sign in using an external account

Old Jul 6, 05, 10:35 am   #1

Programs: Delta KM/PM, Hyatt GP Plat
Where is the flexibility in a Coach (Flexible) ticket?

I'm looking at flights XNA-LGA and chose the Coach (Flexible) option from the drop-down box so I could 1) upgrade at time of booking and 2) cancel or change the flight later without penalty if I need to. The fare code that is coming up is B3NBV, which shows no refunds and a $50 change fee. The fare is $894. When I check "refundable", the fare is $1028 for Y booking class.

Two similar itineraries booked back in January with the Coach (Flexible) option cost $768. They were booked as B3BV and I was able to refund them both with no penalty when my plans changed at the last minute.

Aside from going up $126, it seems like this "flexible" ticket is no longer flexible. What am I missing here?
Old Jul 6, 05, 11:05 am   #2

Programs: Delta Diamond Reserve, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's club
Definition of Flexibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHogsAR
I'm looking at flights XNA-LGA and chose the Coach (Flexible) option from the drop-down box so I could 1) upgrade at time of booking and 2) cancel or change the flight later without penalty if I need to. The fare code that is coming up is B3NBV, which shows no refunds and a $50 change fee. The fare is $894. When I check "refundable", the fare is $1028 for Y booking class.

Two similar itineraries booked back in January with the Coach (Flexible) option cost $768. They were booked as B3BV and I was able to refund them both with no penalty when my plans changed at the last minute.

Aside from going up $126, it seems like this "flexible" ticket is no longer flexible. What am I missing here?
I tried to figure out the same a while back, I came to the conclusion that "flexible fare" means we have a choice to fly delta or not to *smile* beyond that democracy stops! *grin*
Old Jul 6, 05, 2:26 pm   #3

Location: Florida - Delta Charter DM/3.3MM; Lifetime SPG Plat; HH Gold;
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHogsAR

I asked the same question to delta customer care. They did not really have a good answer. I think that the web site needs to be changed. I was told to check refundable if I wanted a refundable ticket. I said, "DAHHHH!!! Doesn't the word flexible mean just that?" I got silence for an answer.

Apparently, they are phasing out everything except Y class for being refundable. Delta is starting to lose a great deal of money from me when there are no upgrades available for a B class fare and it is nonrefundable. Stupid on Delta's part. Why would I pay more money if I am still sitting in coach and can't change my ticket for free? I just don't understand the method to their madness!
Old Jul 6, 05, 3:05 pm   #4

Programs: DL FO...ex-PM, GM...does it really even matter these days? LOL...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayNFly
I asked the same question to delta customer care. They did not really have a good answer. I think that the web site needs to be changed. I was told to check refundable if I wanted a refundable ticket. I said, "DAHHHH!!! Doesn't the word flexible mean just that?" I got silence for an answer.

Apparently, they are phasing out everything except Y class for being refundable. Delta is starting to lose a great deal of money from me when there are no upgrades available for a B class fare and it is nonrefundable. Stupid on Delta's part. Why would I pay more money if I am still sitting in coach and can't change my ticket for free? I just don't understand the method to their madness!
For the pax that absolutely MUST have a refundable ticket, they'll cough up more money to pay for Y/A/F.

For the pax who wants to be guaranteed an F seat and who doesn't want to play the gate lottery, they'll cough up more money as well for a ticket in A/F.

I think DL knows what they are doing...not saying it's right or best for the consumer, but it's getting them more money atleast in the short run. This is exactly why I only buy 'A' tickets now from LAX to ATL. I don't want to play the gate lottery and I want to be guaranteed an F seat. Sure its more money, but worth it to me (and to others I'm sure). This is also why its harder and harder to come by upgrades -- more people are paying for F (A).