Wiki Posts
Search

what will become of my DFW DL tickets?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2004, 10:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

what will become of my DFW DL tickets?

I have a few DL tickets with DFW connections. They are in Dec and Jan. Any ideas on what will happen assuming the flights are cancelled?

1. Will they rebook it on another airline if their connections are not practical?

2. Will they refund it if they don't do #1?

3. Will they rebook it on similar CO flights via IAH or NW via MEM?

Any guesses would help.
What did other airlines do in similar circumstances like AA (STL)-not too helpful a guide as ORD isn't too far away, AA BNA, AA RDU, CO DEN, AA RNO
Old Sep 8, 2004, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Shouldn't be a problem. From what I've seen, the change will happen in February, so your DFW flights should still be on.

For those involved with DFW connections in February or later, my first guess would be for Delta to try and reroute you through ATL, CVG, or SLC. For example, if my GSO-DFW-LAX itinerary had been for February instead of 3 days from now, Delta would probably change it to GSO-ATL-LAX. They might put you on DL-coded NW or CO flights through MEM or IAH, it depends on the flight. If departure times are significantly changed by this (I think it has to be earlier though...), you can get a refund (happened to me on US this past week).

Jeff
Old Sep 8, 2004, 10:36 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Don't get your hopes up. When Delta cancelled the LAS-DFW red-eye back in January, they tried to screw me over by making me take the 7:00 AM flight. Sure, Delta, I'll be happy to spend another night in a hotel room at my expense and reach my destination six hours later.

Two calls to Delta and that was their response both times. I had to print out the Contract of Carriage, highlight the relevant sections, and drive to GSP and point out to them what their responsiblity is, which is a refund (or re-accomodation on AA via DFW or CO via IAH which they weren't interested in). Luckily I didn't get Idiot Agent, and the nice lady gave me a refund.

By the time Delta cancelled the LAS-DFW redeye, all the cheap seats were gone out of LAS. Originally I was planning to buy another ticket out of LAX (LAX-DFW red-eye on Delta), but Delta made me so mad with their idiocy, I bought a ticket out of LGB on AA instead.

So, I ended up leaving in the morning anyway (drive from LAS to LGB overnight), I was pleasantly surprised by the non-rude AA flight attendants, and since then I've flown two transcon roundtrips on AA and have another one to Texas booked on AA.

Hopefully Delta is not as stupid now as they were then and will re-accomodate you on another carrier. If they are still stupid and make you fly out six hours earlier or six hours later, I have to really wonder who is running this sinking ship.
Old Sep 8, 2004, 11:57 am

You should read further into the Contract of Carriage under schedule changes. Delta is under no obligation to refund or rebook you onto another airline as long as they can rebook you on their own metal regardless if you like the times they offer.
Old Sep 8, 2004, 3:13 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Originally Posted by mrherman101
You should read further into the Contract of Carriage under schedule changes. Delta is under no obligation to refund or rebook you onto another airline as long as they can rebook you on their own metal regardless if you like the times they offer.
RULE 260: INVOLUNTARY REFUNDS
A) The amount carrier will refund upon surrender of the unused portion of the passenger's tickets pursuant to rules 35 (refusal to transport), 50 (acceptance of children), or 240 (flight delays/cancellations) will be:
1) If no portion of the ticket has been used the refund will be an amount equal to the fare paid.
2) If a portion of the ticket has been used and termination (interruption) occurs:
RULE 240: FLIGHT DELAYS/CANCELLATIONS
A. Flight Schedules are Not Guaranteed
Delta will exercise reasonable efforts to carry you and your baggage according to Delta’s published schedules and the schedule reflected on your ticket, but published schedules, flight times, aircraft type, seat assignments, and similar details reflected in your ticket or Delta’s published schedules are not guaranteed and form no part of this contract. Delta may substitute alternate carriers or aircraft, delay or cancel flights, change seat assignments, and alter or omit stopping places shown on the ticket at any time. Schedules are subject to change without notice. Except as stated in this rule and in Delta’s Customer Commitment (Rule 200), Delta will have no liability for making connections, failing to operate any flight according to schedule, changing the schedule for any flight, changing seat assignments or aircraft types, or revising the routings by which we carry you from your origin to destination.
B. Schedule Changes, Delays & Flight Cancellations Not within Delta’s Control
C. Schedule Changes, Delays, & Flight Cancellations within Delta’s Control
When, as a result of factors within Delta’s control, you miss a connection due to flight delays, your flight is cancelled, or a substitution of equipment results in a change in the class of service that you purchased or prevents us from transporting you, Delta will provide you with the following:
1. Transportation to Your Destination
Delta will transport you to your destination on our next flight on which seats are available in the class of service you originally purchased. At our sole discretion, we may arrange for your travel on another carrier or via ground transportation. If acceptable to you, we will transport you in a lower class of service, in which case you may be entitled to a partial refund as set forth below. If space on the next available flight is available only in a higher class of service than you purchased, we will transport you on the flight, although we reserve the right to upgrade other passengers on the flight according to our upgrade priority policy to make space for you in the class of service you originally purchased.

2. Full or Partial Refund
If some or all of your ticket is unused, you may be entitled to a refund. Any refunds will be made as provided in Rule 260.
It's not as clear as the previous contract of carriage (90 minutes), but there is no way Delta is going to get away with making people wait six hours for the next flight on the schedule.

I have taken the 1:45 AM LAX-DFW several times, and it's usually pretty full. There are going to be a lot of people Delta will have to re-accomodate on AA (if they don't want to piss off more people) or issue refunds.
Old Sep 8, 2004, 5:53 pm
KLC
In Memoriam

I had one flight booked for next April through DFW. It's already been changed to a flight that will meet my needs. As previously noted, there should be no changes for December/January, but anyone who has flights scheduled after 1/31 should be able to check their itineraries on delta.com.

Last edited by KLC; Sep 8, 2004 at 5:59 pm Reason: additional information

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.