Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weird MQD Calculation

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2019, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Weird MQD Calculation

So, I booked a Z fare from DEN to DEL. I flew DL to CDG and then AF to DEL. I flew KLM back from DEL to JFK then DL to DEN. The MQD's are weird though. They are a little higher than I though they would be (not that I am complaining).

The CDG DEL flight had these statistics:

MQM - 6131
MQD - 1635

Is this the multiplier deal for AF? If not, how do they screw up the MQDs? I was expecting maybe half of that at most.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 4:48 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
So, I booked a Z fare from DEN to DEL. I flew DL to CDG and then AF to DEL. I flew KLM back from DEL to JFK then DL to DEN. The MQD's are weird though. They are a little higher than I though they would be (not that I am complaining).

The CDG DEL flight had these statistics:

MQM - 6131
MQD - 1635

Is this the multiplier deal for AF? If not, how do they screw up the MQDs? I was expecting maybe half of that at most.
Yes. gcmap says CDG-DEL is 4088 miles * 40% if AF-coded = 1635.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zorak
Yes. gcmap says CDG-DEL is 4088 miles * 40% if AF-coded = 1635.

Weird - this was on a 006 ticket. Why would they do that? Again, not that I am complaining but I will see if I cant find a way to do it again. It was a VERY pleasant surprise. The whole ticket came in a much more than I thought.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Weird - this was on a 006 ticket. Why would they do that? Again, not that I am complaining but I will see if I cant find a way to do it again. It was a VERY pleasant surprise. The whole ticket came in a much more than I thought.
Ticket has zero to do with earning. Only how the flight number is marketed. (Ie AF, DL, CI, etc.... )
Duke787 and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 5:13 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
As flyerCO mentions, they simplified partner earnings a while ago so that only the marketing carrier matters:

Delta Partner Mileage Accrual Changes Effective Jan 2018

The Premium Fare Deals forum is great for finding potential MQD runs.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
If you're flying Biz on a low priced fare, or an exception fare, you should always look for the partner flight for ticketing for this very reason. Increased MQDs. This has enabled me to get to Gold the past two years, and probably next year as well.

The reverse is true if you're flying Y (at least on exception fares--you'll have to calculate it out on regular fares, but you'll probably still come out ahead ticketing with DL.)
Old Nov 7, 2019, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hotturnip
If you're flying Biz on a low priced fare, or an exception fare, you should always look for the partner flight for ticketing for this very reason. Increased MQDs. This has enabled me to get to Gold the past two years, and probably next year as well.

The reverse is true if you're flying Y (at least on exception fares--you'll have to calculate it out on regular fares, but you'll probably still come out ahead ticketing with DL.)
As pointed out above, ticket stock doesn't matter; you don't come out ahead or not based on "ticketing with DL" or not.

ONLY the MARKETING CARRIER matters, i.e., whether it's a DL flight number or not (codeshares).
Old Nov 7, 2019, 9:15 am
Original Poster

This was a DL flight, but there was screwy stuff that happened to ticket (lots of hold time while they called AF and KL).

I am not complaining by any means. It covered my "reclaim my status" stuff through platinum with one trip.

next year looks like there will be some other carriers in my future.

EDIT:

Just for clarity - do I book with the carrier or with DL directly to get this? I assume the carrier and just give them my SM number?

Last edited by FlyingBeanCounter; Nov 7, 2019 at 9:22 am
Old Nov 7, 2019, 2:44 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Just for clarity - do I book with the carrier or with DL directly to get this? I assume the carrier and just give them my SM number?
It doesn't matter who you book with (DL, the other carrier, an OTA, your corporate travel department, etc) only what code it's booked as.

That said, Delta is more likely to sell you the flight with a DL code (especially when you book online since the website only lists the DL codes), KLM with a KL code, etc so booking with the airline you want to be the marketing carrier is easiest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.