Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta's Terminal 3 at JFK

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2004, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs down Delta's Terminal 3 at JFK

Am I the only one here who thinks that Delta's Terminal 3 at JFK is one of the most dilapidated- and horrible-looking terminals in the First World?

Several weeks ago, I picked someone up from an international flight... To get to the arrivals area from the parking garage, I had to walk through a partially underground concrete maze to the back of the building, along a narrow ramp. The arrivals facility had a very low ceiling and was quite dark. There were a few 1980s-style arcade machines and some vending machines, and some very worn-out black seats. A very grim atmosphere.

That was nothing, however. I went to drop someone off today, and the place is a madhouse! First off, the check-in area is extremely tight. For BusinessElite check-in, we could barely squeeze through the overflow in the line for Economy class. The agent we got at the BE counter looked like she was very tired of her job, and was at best unpleasant. Not only is the check-in area is ridiculously small, with only a couple of small doorways through which one could enter, it is fighting for space with the TSA checkpoint, which is "walled off" by the mobile black walls for the TSA secondary search checkpoint. The high round 'white' ceiling has numerous brown leak stains and peeling paint. There were many hand-made inkjet printer signs printed all over this area, too (e.g.,"EXIT ONLY!!! --->", etc).

In addition, there is really no quick way of getting between floors at this terminal. There is a tiny elevator at the entrance, but there were so many people in the way that we couldn't move anywhere. There are also hidden narrow escalators along the sides of the building. The directional sign outside the entrance to the bottom (domestic arrivals) floor had duct tape on it to cover up some wording. Duct tape!!! The arrivals area and baggage claim are very tiny and dark, as well, with two baggage belts at either end, and very low ceilings. The restrooms in this area are disguisting- very worn out, not clean, and the paper towel dispenser was broken.

Furthermore, the connection between the terminal and parking area is not very convenient. You end up taking a series of walkways and elevators, inside and outside to get to your destination. And the signs are not always clear (for example, it says in many places that Floor 3 is only for Busines elite check-in... not so! Everyone checks in there).

So, please explain to me... what is Delta thinking? Does anyone else out there think that this terminal is an embarrassment for Delta, especially given the quality of the other terminals at JFK and EWR? Even LGA? Are there plans to upgrade? Have they touched anything in there since the 1980s? I would not fly Delta out of JFK for this reason alone.
Old Apr 7, 2004, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ec336
Are there plans to upgrade?
In January, DL annouced $300 Million in terminal improvements.

We'll see if they follow through.
Old Apr 7, 2004, 8:54 pm

There is also a private Business Elite entrance where you avoid the horseshoe economy driveway; it is up the ramp to the left as opposed to down to the right.

That said, the terminal is certainly no great shakes, but I think that the lounges are adaquate given the current state of the airline industry.
Old Apr 8, 2004, 9:06 am

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Terminal 3 is pretty ghetto, but the original T3 (the circle piece on the end) was built by Pan Am in the 60s, and the triangle is how they (Pan Am)expanded it. Delta just picked it up when they bought most of Pan Am's Atlantic operations in the early 90s. The circle is nice looking, in a retro kind of way, but from a functionality standpoint, T3 is one of the worst terminals I've flown through.
Old Apr 8, 2004, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Thumbs down Taxi lines at T3 stink!

My biggest complaint at T3 are the taxi lines. Depending on the baggage claim area that you are directed to, you will have long waits or even longer waits. Part of the problem are the taxi dispatchers at T3 who stink in the performance of their job!
Old Apr 8, 2004, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Rssrsvp
My biggest complaint at T3 are the taxi lines. Depending on the baggage claim area that you are directed to, you will have long waits or even longer waits. Part of the problem are the taxi dispatchers at T3 who stink in the performance of their job!
don't count on a pre-reserved car service to help you out, either...the last time i arrived T3 was on a SFO-JFK flight. after getting my bags i called the car service and told them i was at the domestic arrivals section of T3, at which point the operator rudely told me that 'T3 is purely international' and that he 'should know these things' since he 'used to work for delta' and that i was either 'wrong' or 'lost'. his attitude notwithstanding, what really put me off, as an airport aficionado, was his assertion that i was 'lost' !! the nerve. in any case, the conversation clearly going nowhere, (i kept saying 'i'm in T3' and he was like 'you can't be' and back and forth) i ended up waiting for a taxi. T3 is by far the biggest dump of a terminal i have encountered in the US.
Old Apr 8, 2004, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Hilton Diamond, Avis Preferred
I got snowed in at JFK at T3 last December. I nearly considered just crashing out there and hedging my bets for the next day. I reconsidered promptly upon review, not wanting to catch some third world strain of the flu virus and booked a room in the city.
Old Apr 8, 2004, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by the scribbler
There is also a private Business Elite entrance where you avoid the horseshoe economy driveway; it is up the ramp to the left as opposed to down to the right.
Scribbler, how does one access the private BE entrance when coming in from the Airtrain? I would like to avoid the scrum when flying to Europe later this month if at all possible.

Where is the BE Departure Lounge in T3?
Old Apr 8, 2004, 2:26 pm

Location: New York, NY, AA 4MM PLT, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, CC Gold
Biz Elite Airtrain Entrance

Take the elevator from AirTrain and get off at level 2
Old Apr 9, 2004, 3:33 am

WorldPort

Originally Posted by the scribbler

That said, the terminal is certainly no great shakes, but I think that the lounges are adaquate given the current state of the airline industry.
It is not private, Quite public but only for B/E Actually it is called WorldPort, by the old PanAm name. Terminal 3 was scheduled for demolition and a new facility was to have been built. Economy+9/11 put all on hold and Dl had to reopen Worldport. Such are the realities of financing longterm construction projects.
Old Apr 9, 2004, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Nothing (former long-time Plat)
Actually, DL also acquired the Worldport name in the PA deal and now uses it for operations at ATL.

The best part of T3 are the flocks of pigeons in the old "circle" part of the terminal.

The place is a hole. That's all there is to it.
Old Apr 9, 2004, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1P (residual DL, US, AS), SPG
Re: Delta's T3 at JFK:
I'm surpised nobody mentioned the FOOD OPTIONS! The lack of ANY quality food at JFK is really surprising. The last two times I have been to Europe have required a 5 hour layover at JFK, and I think the "healthiest" option was eating at Chili's (blech) or something like that. Everything else is fast food of the worst sort.

I would connect through ATL in a heartbeat, but the fares were consistently higher each time (but not when I am just searching and not going--frustrating!).

Last edited by SFOTRAVELER; Apr 14, 2004 at 3:18 pm
Old Apr 9, 2004, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by SFOTRAVELER
Re: Delta's T3 at JFK:
I'm surpised nobody mentioned the FOOD OPTIONS! The lack of ANY quality food at JFK is really surprising. The last two times I have been to Europe have required a 5 hour layover at JFK, and I think the "healthiest" option was eating at T.G.I.Friday's (blech) or something like that. Everything else is fast food of the worst sort.
Next time walk (or take Airtrain) next door to JFK Terminal 4 which has a rather nice food court in the lower level.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 9:11 am

I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if things have improved in 7 years?

We're going to be on Delta flight 123, scheduled to arrive at 13:15 from SNN, so presumably Terminal 3 and immigration already cleared in Shannon.

What time do you think we might arrive at the Millennium Hilton if travelling by taxi?
Old Apr 10, 2011, 7:53 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jammin
I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if things have improved in 7 years?

We're going to be on Delta flight 123, scheduled to arrive at 13:15 from SNN, so presumably Terminal 3 and immigration already cleared in Shannon.

What time do you think we might arrive at the Millennium Hilton if travelling by taxi?
Depends on day of week and traffic conditions. The hotel is literally steps from the E Train WTC station, if you are not opposed to taking public transit. It's also relatively close to the A Train Fulton St. station.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.