Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pics: DL 767-400 business class -with newly installed lie flat seats (and more)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pics: DL 767-400 business class -with newly installed lie flat seats (and more)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:10 pm

Programs: AC SE100, SPG Plat, Visa Inf Priv
Originally Posted by WBurcham
From what I've read, your review is spot on. Unfortunately they wanted to get 40 seats into a space where other airlines would put 30-36 (LAN has full flat beds in J on a 767). However, most 767 competitors do NOT have a full flat bed in J and, if they do, there are less seats.
Agree. AC has 1+1+1 lie flat J product on its 763s, with about 180 in Y. There is pretty good width and at least 72" of length. Of interest, they used to fit about 25 recliner style J seats in the same space (2+2+1).
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:59 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Not having experienced the DL lie-flat BE seat but having flown and slept many nights in the A330 and 747 WBC seats (lie flat as well, just slightly angled - but so is actually good for health and coincidentally happens how I was recommended to sleep by two doctors), I would say that really instead of putting in the flat un-angled BE seats, DL should reconsider instead putting in the NW and KL style WBC seats. They are well proven to work well and be comfortable; no wonder that both NW and KL selected them. Sure, the slight angle can be annoying if one has slippery clothes, but other than that it's great for both sleeping and relaxing. The pod gives good privacy - just enough, but it's not as much a "coffin" feeling like it seems to be in the DL BE lie-flat un-angled seats.

Personally I always try to avoid DL aircraft (many 767's on long routes are really, really bad cabin interior and lack of IFE wise and seemingly have been in need of a cabin overhaul for over a decade, and the lie-flat un-angled BE seats have never seemed very appealing to me and seem to close to each other - one is sure to hear the person next to one snoring, it seems) and try to fly on the NW 330s and 747's instead whenever possible.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I agree with the OP that they are very tight. I'm 6'2" and haven't seen 200 lbs in decades. But I do have to say I slept better than I have on any J seat. I am a side sleeper, so maybe that helps. For me, it'd be toss up between these seats and the WBC pods. And much better than the J seats on the AF 777 I flew last fall.
Delta should wait before it starts replacing the WBC seats on the 747 and other aircraft to make sure that it is a significant improvement over the WBC seat. I liked the privacy of the 77L pod, but I actually felt the WBC seat was overlall more comfortable for someone at 6'2". The 77L pod was cramped and painful compared to the WBC pod which had some sliding issues, but no cramping and pain. I will take no pain over privacy. Pain is pain. Privacy is in your mind, and I am quite introvert, but those 77ls can cause pain. The 77L in business class was also filthy. In business, why can't they add more padding on hard seats? Emirates was offering mattersses. Just make the darn seat more padded. Dah.

Last edited by BF263533; Feb 24, 2010 at 1:01 am
Old Feb 24, 2010, 1:39 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Not having experienced the DL lie-flat BE seat but having flown and slept many nights in the A330 and 747 WBC seats (lie flat as well, just slightly angled - but so is actually good for health and coincidentally happens how I was recommended to sleep by two doctors), I would say that really instead of putting in the flat un-angled BE seats, DL should reconsider instead putting in the NW and KL style WBC seats. They are well proven to work well and be comfortable; no wonder that both NW and KL selected them. Sure, the slight angle can be annoying if one has slippery clothes, but other than that it's great for both sleeping and relaxing. The pod gives good privacy - just enough, but it's not as much a "coffin" feeling like it seems to be in the DL BE lie-flat un-angled seats.

Personally I always try to avoid DL aircraft (many 767's on long routes are really, really bad cabin interior and lack of IFE wise and seemingly have been in need of a cabin overhaul for over a decade, and the lie-flat un-angled BE seats have never seemed very appealing to me and seem to close to each other - one is sure to hear the person next to one snoring, it seems) and try to fly on the NW 330s and 747's instead whenever possible.
Personal preference but I would rather fly Y and take a sleeping pill than fly in the WBC seats.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 5:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Please see my review on the 764D and the lie-flat bed seats from back in July of 2009.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...eats-more.html

To each his own when it comes to personal comfort, likes and dislikes. But remember this, its a significant improvement over what they're replacing and, they are J seats, not F. I found the 764D BE seat to be very comfortable with only some difficulty with the tray table. I'm 5' 11' 205 lbs and medium build. Once DL starts rolling out the mods to the 767's, I'll gladly fly DL TATL any day of the week.

As far as cramming in more seats then other airlines in J, well doesn't that all depend on how far back the J cabin extends? So, when making a comparison that airline X has less seats then DL in there J cabin, one has to compare more details then seat count.

As for choosing the WBC seat over the 76D seat, thats insanity! I mean, the flight I just took on a A332 had me playing with the seat controls until I found just the right angle so I wouldnt be sliding down in my seat. As for that, I think I'd rather try for an empty middle row in coach then a WBC seat.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 6:36 am

Programs: DL FO - CO Gold
Originally Posted by 5khours
Personal preference but I would rather fly Y and take a sleeping pill than fly in the WBC seats.
I agree. 14 hours of sliding is not my idea of comfort. But of course, you get a free "Wedgie".
Dave.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 6:43 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
I really did not imagine the lie-flat seats would be great. They must be better than the horrible 60 degree pitch things they're replacing. I hope they are, anyway. The OP did not actually say they were worse did he?
Old Feb 24, 2010, 6:48 am
KLC
In Memoriam

Smile

I suppose it wouldn't be Flyertalk if we didn't have widely divergent views on the subject!
Old Feb 24, 2010, 6:59 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond, DL DM & 2MM
While I haven't flown the new 767 lie flat seats I did fly the 777LR lie flat angled seats in J to Mumbai last year and while the seats were still a bit "hard" I attributed this to the fact that they are new. Given time I expect they will be broken in a soften up a bit making them a little more comfortable. With regards to others who say they would prefer Y and a sleeping pill over the J lie flat seats, more power to you since it will free up J for those of us who still prefer a little extra comfort and privacy on a 10+ hour segment. While I am only 5'10" I do have wide shoulders and the thought of snuggling up to a stranger in Y while listening to Beethoven's 6th symphony of snoring from everyone else in Y is not my idea of fun compared to slight discomfort with much more privacy in J.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 7:13 am

Programs: DL FO - CO Gold
I'm not sure which seats this thread is about, but if it's the new Thompson Vantage seats, I think they are great. ^ Anyone who prefers the old NW WBC childrens playground slide to this seat needs to have the straps on their canvas jacket checked.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 8:23 am

Interesting. I am 6'0" and "about" 200 (cough, cough). Loved the 767-400 flat seats JFK-LON. Ms. upgrader is 5'5" and 110. She hated them. Go figure.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 8:23 am

Hows the padding on the seat? One of the biggest complaints I have about most lie flats is the padding is thin and tends to lose it's cushioning ability after a few months of use. The nicer foreign airlines tend to have fitted pads for their lie flats to increase the padding.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 8:46 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I flew on DL's 777LR true-flat ATL-PVG-ATL and had the best sleep of my life in those lie flat seats. I have flown SQ's slopey C seats but not NW/DL's slopey 744 C seat, and did not sleep anywhere near as well. So consider my vote for true flat.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 9:33 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Bangkok Dave
I agree. 14 hours of sliding is not my idea of comfort. But of course, you get a free "Wedgie".
Dave.
The key is to adjust the footrest and move it higher (it always goes down too far when it's set to the flat position) so that ones feet are always on it to avoid sliding. And, of course, wear non slippery clothes.

I can rarely sleep in any moving device. And I can only sleep if the surface is completely flat (otherwise highly uncomfortable and outright impossible to really sleep). The WBC seats however - with the footrest adjusted to avoid slippage - are very condutive to sleep.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:28 am
Taz

Programs: DL PM
I'm 5'3" and was terribly uncomfortable in the seat. When it was fully reclined, I felt like I was in a coffin and my shoulders were severely cramped by the shell. I tried to raise my knees to a slightly bent position, but couldn't because of the top of that end of the shell. I was finally able to get comfortable enough to doze for a couple of hours by laying the duvet on the seat as a "mattress" and raising the head of the seat far enough that my shoulders were just above the level of the armrest.

The tray table was easy enough to get out, but putting it away was impossible. I finally shoved it as far to the side as I could and climbed out over it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.