Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

NRT-GUM: NW 752 in WBC or CO Mike 764 in BF?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2008, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold

I'm flying from NRT to GUM next year in business class. NW and CO both offer flights that depart within five minutes of each other. The NW flight is operated by a 752, which I assume is configured with a domestic business class product. The CO Micronesia flight is operated by a 764, which has the Hawaiian business class configuration. It would seem that all else being equal, the CO Mike flight would be the one to take. Any reason to prefer the NW 752?
Old Sep 18, 2008, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Can you check if it is one of the trans-Atlantic 757s? These were reconfigured with a near-business class front cabin -- the seats aren't motorized and the IFE is a preloaded digital video player, but it is not domestic first class. Fewer seats in the back as well so fairly good leg room.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Air Mike for sure. ^ ^
Old Sep 19, 2008, 8:32 am

Programs: NW Plat, Marriott Plat, PC Plat, HH Gold, US Gold
Originally Posted by mot29
Can you check if it is one of the trans-Atlantic 757s? These were reconfigured with a near-business class front cabin -- the seats aren't motorized and the IFE is a preloaded digital video player, but it is not domestic first class. Fewer seats in the back as well so fairly good leg room.
It's not (as of last month). I also have not heard of any plans to upgrade the pacific 57s with the WBC seats, or AVOD or any of the other niceties.

jon
Old Sep 19, 2008, 11:23 am

Go with the CO flight.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by fiedler77
It's not (as of last month). I also have not heard of any plans to upgrade the pacific 57s with the WBC seats, or AVOD or any of the other niceties.

jon
Actually, I'm booked on NW 95/96 NRT-TPE-NRT in November and it is a 75A with a seating chart with only 4 rows of Business Class seats. I expect this is what is happening to the planes that used to fly to DUS and BRU.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 10:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Marriott Gold
I would agree with the other replies saying to take the CO flight if you can.
The only caveat to that would be if you could get the NW A333 flight that they have once per day NRT-GUM. Now if you could take that in WBC, I would do that first, then CO BF, and then the 757.
I've taken all of them and the 330 would be best, followed by the CO 767 and the NWA 757. My wife and I were less than impressed with the 757 for that NRT-GUM leg. That being said, in comparison to the long flight from the USA, the 3.5 hour GUM flight isn't that bad anyway...
Old Sep 29, 2008, 2:58 am

Programs: Delta Plat & 1M, Hilton Gold, IHG Rewards Plat
Originally Posted by mot29
Actually, I'm booked on NW 95/96 NRT-TPE-NRT in November and it is a 75A with a seating chart with only 4 rows of Business Class seats. I expect this is what is happening to the planes that used to fly to DUS and BRU.
75A with WBC seats seems to be used for NRT-TPE, NRT-CAN & NRT-PUS, but unfortunately not for beach market (GUM & SPN), at least for the time being.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 8:15 am

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
I'm flying from NRT to GUM next year in business class.
My only question is how far into next year? If you're talking late in the year, you could be slightly in danger of having a CO ticket as CO departs from SkyTeam. I would think it should all still be fine, but could possibly present more hassle on getting NW/DL miles if they've disconnected.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 8:27 am

Programs: NW Plat, Marriott Plat, PC Plat, HH Gold, US Gold
Originally Posted by Lanny
The only caveat to that would be if you could get the NW A333 flight that they have once per day NRT-GUM. Now if you could take that in WBC, I would do that first, then CO BF, and then the 757.
Unfortunately, the 333 is a morning flight, so it's impossible to connect to from the US without overnighting in Tokyo.

jon
Old Sep 29, 2008, 4:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fiedler77
Unfortunately, the 333 is a morning flight, so it's impossible to connect to from the US without overnighting in Tokyo.
Very true... You would have to overnight in NRT to take the morning A333 flight but as a person who has gone back and forth to Guam many times, I think this is time well spent... Stop for the night in NRT, there are some inexpensive yet comfortable hotels near the airport, get cleaned up and get some rest, and then catch your flight the next day. Of course if the schedule won't allow it, the CO evening flight if a safe bet. Enjoy your trip!
Old Sep 29, 2008, 4:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Definitely the 767

It is the better option between the 767 and the 757. Note that you get the big seat, but not the BusinessFirst service, per se.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 1:29 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Do I want J in the CO 767 or DL 767? TIA
Old Oct 2, 2009, 4:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by boxo
Do I want J in the CO 767 or DL 767? TIA
I chose the CO 767 (to avoid DL on principal) and will return on the KE A330.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.