Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Medallion Status Perks

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2015, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
Gold Medallion Status Perks

I get my Gold status as I fly several times a year to the UAE and to Euroland, plus my Optima Amex card charges. I fly coach as I have to pay for my own tickets
There is not much anymore what my status gives me except:

1: Priority check in and boarding, and TSA pre-approved

2: Business lounge access only at international flights, but forget the lounge at Terminal 4 at JFK, reg wine one one draft beer is free, the rest of the prime wines, beers and liquer you have to pay. They even charge you for a bottle of water. The food you can forget anyway.
I like the lounges of AF and KLM at CDG, AMS and DXB, great coffee and croissants when you arrive in the morning

Upgrade to economy plus are usually about 115 each leg, so multiply by 4, upgrade to business is usually 35 to 60,000 sky-miles miles, and another 300 euros.

Last month we took a flight from JFK to Hawaii, access to Lounge is $29 per person as it is a domestic flight. But if you pay with miles they take the same amount of miles to Hawaii than to Europe. Bought the tickets, same price than going to Europe.

on the way back from LIH to Honolulu Hawaiian Air Charged $50 for our 2 suitcases, for my wife and me. And no priority check-in.
Tried to check in 24 hours before, followed the email from Delta and was directly Hawaiian airlines, it would not let me check in.

Some problem with Air Europe at Palma de Mallorca, could not on-line check n, than at the counter they could not check us in, computers not linked

While Delta boasts of how many international location it flies too, but their partners and code share partners are not properly linked.

The Delta status means nothing to their code share partner. Even if it has a Delta flight number, one still has to pay for the luggage.
And no access to the business lounge at domestic flights.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: Delta-PM, HHonors-Diamond, Hyatt-Explorist, Hertz - Presidents
Epic first post! Welcome!
Old Dec 17, 2015, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Hermann
I get my Gold status as I fly several times a year to the UAE and to Euroland, plus my Optima Amex card charges. I fly coach as I have to pay for my own tickets
There is not much anymore what my status gives me except:

1: Priority check in and boarding, and TSA pre-approved

2: Business lounge access only at international flights, but forget the lounge at Terminal 4 at JFK, reg wine one one draft beer is free, the rest of the prime wines, beers and liquer you have to pay. They even charge you for a bottle of water. The food you can forget anyway.
I like the lounges of AF and KLM at CDG, AMS and DXB, great coffee and croissants when you arrive in the morning

Upgrade to economy plus are usually about 115 each leg, so multiply by 4, upgrade to business is usually 35 to 60,000 sky-miles miles, and another 300 euros.

Last month we took a flight from JFK to Hawaii, access to Lounge is $29 per person as it is a domestic flight. But if you pay with miles they take the same amount of miles to Hawaii than to Europe. Bought the tickets, same price than going to Europe.

on the way back from LIH to Honolulu Hawaiian Air Charged $50 for our 2 suitcases, for my wife and me. And no priority check-in.
Tried to check in 24 hours before, followed the email from Delta and was directly Hawaiian airlines, it would not let me check in.

Some problem with Air Europe at Palma de Mallorca, could not on-line check n, than at the counter they could not check us in, computers not linked

While Delta boasts of how many international location it flies too, but their partners and code share partners are not properly linked.

The Delta status means nothing to their code share partner. Even if it has a Delta flight number, one still has to pay for the luggage.
And no access to the business lounge at domestic flights.
That's why it is important to carry your medallion card with you whenever you travel. There are many stories on here of people having trouble getting STE+ benefits when flying on Delta partners. The IT is indeed quite bad, and there are still kinks even between DL and AF/KLM, which are supposed to be close joint venture partners.

From what I've seen, most problems are resolved when you flash valid SkyTeam Elite Plus credentials.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
One would need to know more details of your ticket to determine if you should have benefitted from the DOT's single ticket/single baggage allowance rule to avoid paying for bags. Hawaiian isn't a SkyTeam airline - no SkyTeam benefits apply. No Delta Medallion benefits apply. No Delta credit card baggage waivers apply.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-benefits.html
Old Dec 17, 2015, 3:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Start_at_UIN
Epic first post! Welcome!
More than eight years after joining FT. Is this a record?
Old Dec 17, 2015, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
More than eight years after joining FT. Is this a record?
Some members are just more selective with what they post.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 5:18 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
HA is not a great airline. They get you with fees and their planes are very uncomfortable. I avoid them.

Upgrades, getting the exit row at booking, and SkyPriority baggage and boarding are probably the best parts of GM. It's better than nothing.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer
Some members are just more selective with what they post.
^^^^^^^ NIIIIIIICE!

(but likely lost on many ...)
Old Dec 17, 2015, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
And to add.

JFK T4 Sky club is the best domestic club in the system; the food and drink options have been greatly enhanced over the last 6 months.

OP I suggest more research and preparation before flaming on the delta forum. Lots of things to complain about with delta in 2015 and 2016 (to come) but your complaints aren't anywhere near the top 10.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 2:18 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR

getting the exit row at booking
You get that with silver too, or FO, or whatever people want to call it
Old Dec 18, 2015, 4:13 am

I hope TSA precheck isn't still an advertised Medallion benefit. Is it?
Old Dec 18, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: Delta PM Elite Plus, Aegean
Originally Posted by Widgets
I hope TSA precheck isn't still an advertised Medallion benefit. Is it?
If my TSA precheck disappears with my Platinum status (down to Silver) in 2016, we'll know for certain (as if I already didn't) that TSA security is just window dressing.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: Delta-PM, HHonors-Diamond, Hyatt-Explorist, Hertz - Presidents
What I don't understand is why you think it should be cheaper? JFK>LHR is approx 3500 miles while JFK>HNL is closer to 5000 miles.

Last edited by Start_at_UIN; Dec 28, 2015 at 8:02 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.