Sorry if this is off topic, but the Sky Magazine claims that USB ports are available on the Delta on Demand planes to charge items like IPods. Well, I found the ports (under the seat), but the two times I've tried to plug my IPod in to charge I got nothing. Both times were on domestic 763s.

Has anyone gotten these to actually work?
Worked the times I've used them to charge my Blackberry. Domestic 763 in F. International 757 in BE. Ex-Song 757 in Y.
I got them to work to charge my Treo Smartphone. I had not read what they were for but I saw them and figured I'd give it a try, and it worked.
Strangely, I've had the same situation occur when attempting to use the EmPower outlet - one time, on a short (~1.5 hr) flight, I couldn't get it to work. But then I used it on another, longer flight.

I have a sneaky suspicion that they have the ability to turn the "power" off to these ports, and maybe you just have to ask them to enable it...
Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. Just like the AC plugs. I'm not sure if there is any correlation between the 2 working. I know it is not related to the IFE functioning as I have had TV and no power.
Not sure about the USB ports, but for in seat power they generally have to turn it on, so if it doesnt work, as an FA and chances are that they forgot to turn it on.
I've used the USB ports to charge my BlackBerry before. But I've noticed that the current must be very low as it took most of my transcon to do a full recharge. Plugging into the wall it takes 30-45 mins.

Maybe your iPod just wasn't getting enough juice to actually charge.
Quote: I've used the USB ports to charge my BlackBerry before. But I've noticed that the current must be very low as it took most of my transcon to do a full recharge. Plugging into the wall it takes 30-45 mins.

Maybe your iPod just wasn't getting enough juice to actually charge.
This is a good point. I have had the same experience. It is enough to operate devices like a BB or Ipod, but doesn't charge very quickly.
Quote: Not sure about the USB ports, but for in seat power they generally have to turn it on, so if it doesnt work, as an FA and chances are that they forgot to turn it on.
Good to know.
Help with USB Power cords
I was on a 757-300 last night (ATL-DEN) and drained my fully-charged laptop battery en route, thanks to a month-long pass on Go-Go and a quirky IFE (no CNN, Comedy Channel or ESPN). I tried to use the USB power outlet under the seat and connected the cord to it and my computer's USB port as well. It did not work -- I remained on battery only. Can any of the power users aboard help me out -- what kind of a cord do I need to use or what did I do wrong last night?

Thanks!
I don't believe laptops can recharge from a USB port. That is primarily for iPods and the like.
The USB port is used to charge small electronics, phones, iPods, Blackberries, etc. There is no way that the port will charge a laptop.
Quote: I was on a 757-300 last night (ATL-DEN) and drained my fully-charged laptop battery en route, thanks to a month-long pass on Go-Go and a quirky IFE (no CNN, Comedy Channel or ESPN). I tried to use the USB power outlet under the seat and connected the cord to it and my computer's USB port as well. It did not work -- I remained on battery only. Can any of the power users aboard help me out -- what kind of a cord do I need to use or what did I do wrong last night?

Thanks!

You mean 757-200 (all the 757-300's are from NW -- no USB ports).
There is a 120v plug in the seat (at least in F) on most 757's to plug your charger into. You can't charge a laptop from a usb plug.
Quote: The USB port is used to charge small electronics, phones, iPods, Blackberries, etc. There is no way that the port will charge a laptop.

I probably should have known that -- thanks for the education!! My return flight upgrade has already cleared so I will look for the 120V outlets on that eastbound trip.